Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone got the Denison 500 working?

Hi,

I am axxiously awaiting feedback on the Dension 500 install to see what the opinion is on its usage, likeability, and comparisons to the NavTV unit.

Also, any views on the install process as well? How difficult is it?

So come on guys, out with the info.

Just answered a question from a member ref the NAVTV unit... so thought this may help.

I don't have the instructions on email but here is the user guide.

http://www.nav-tv.com/download/porsche/OPiP_User.pdf

Not hard to do ... but it does take a bit of time. I have a TV / audio business so I understand how electronics work but installation isn't for the faint hearted.

Remove PCM.

Remove fibre optic link & insert supplied patch cable, observing in / out markings. Cut back the loom wrap behind the stereo, (this is when I nicked the optic cable) otherwise the optic in the car is too short to let you place the NAV TV box.

Locate NAV TV unit within short distance of PCM . (I put it on top of the glovebox)

Connect 12v permanent feed & ground (12v Socket in the passenger footwell)

Find suitable place for IPOD, I have out mine in the glovebox but not yet drilled the hole for the cable. Removing the glovebox is a pain in the arse as you have to remove the trim across the top of the dash.

Plug & go... enjoy...:)

It does have some bugs in the software.

Won't always start playing a track again when you have used the phone so you have to jump forward or back a track, takes a while to scroll through the lists... but I do have around 250-300 albums on my Ipod.

Always starts after an overnight stop with the same album... ABBA in my case... you get used to it.

Considering how complicated the Porsche optic system is I think it does a good job & bear in mind it has taken them over 3 years to get it to work, to my knowledge no other system lets you browse ALL of the albums, artists etc on your IPOD.

The sound is FANTASTIC, 20 x better than the RF modulator I had before.

Regards

Mal

Hello! Here is some about Dension. We have one installed last week in 2005 CT, works good, sound and control is great, switch playlists from steereng wheel!!! Tags display ok, but sometime playlist and traks swith with delay, don know why, may be we used old NANO - manual notify about last firmware in Ipod. Installation not so difficult, but I think you should be skilled in cayenne and electronics to install this unit. You can hide unit in the trunk on your choice - if f you have CD changer or amplifier installed. And do not forget swith unit back to changer if one installed before leave a car in dealers workshop - danger to pay money for fixing error in most ring - cd changer))))

OVERALL - NICE, RECOMMENDED.

Alex

PS As I know, difference between software versions of PCM can cause different "bugs" in controllig unit, especially regarding 2003-2004 MY.

Thanks Alex,

That is useful info. If we install it in the CD changer slot ( which I dont have in my car), I am guessing we will have to route the wires all the way into the front. I heard some members installing the unit behind the PCM, which would make the install a bit easier I guess.

My other questiion is regarding the USB Drive input for the Denison. I have heard talk about where you can load up songs on the USB stick and they will play, thus avoiding having to dedicate a ipod to the car or/ and using a chaper and bigger USB drive drive for much larger storage. Is that something you ccould verify?

And another thought is for the AUX input. I have thoughts of somehow interfacing my Parrot kit through it but not sure how the switching would occur between the Ipod and the AUX inputs. Would be nice if the Denison went to AUX automatically every time it was present, because the Parrot has a relay to activate the sound, so it would come on only when in use, and then go back to the Ipod play after the phone call.

Now that is really asking for a whole lot but hey! one can wish cant they!!

At long last, at least we have two companies with competing products for our beloved Porsches.

I have waited since July last year for the Gateway unit... and it still isn't out in the UK!

In theory you can fit either of the units wherever there is a junction for the fibre optic. In the offside rear of the Cayenne (in the UK cars) is the loop for the CD changer, it could go here.. or even under the seat where the SAT NAV is. I put mine under the dash as I didn't want to go in the boot everytime to get my IPOD out.

Mal

I just had this put into my 05 CS and its VERY good. The user interface takes some getting used to, but with my 60G Video iPOD it is fairly snappy in getting the playlist up and changed...

Very good to excellent sound...

Eric.

• 1 month later...

I had the Dension 500 installed in my 2004 without Nav and it works great. The sound is superior to the FM modulator. I have XM hooked up through the aux input. Took some work to get done, but I am very happy. I do not get text on the head unit, but for high quality sound it is worth it to me.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello! Here is some about Dension. We have one installed last week in 2005 CT, works good, sound and control is great, switch playlists from steereng wheel!!! Tags display ok, but sometime playlist and traks swith with delay, don know why, may be we used old NANO - manual notify about last firmware in Ipod. Installation not so difficult, but I think you should be skilled in cayenne and electronics to install this unit. You can hide unit in the trunk on your choice - if f you have CD changer or amplifier installed. And do not forget swith unit back to changer if one installed before leave a car in dealers workshop - danger to pay money for fixing error in most ring - cd changer))))

OVERALL - NICE, RECOMMENDED.

Alex

PS As I know, difference between software versions of PCM can cause different "bugs" in controllig unit, especially regarding 2003-2004 MY.

Do you have any pictures of the Dension unit installed in the trunk? I bought a Gateway 500 unit and I am curious of how you secured the unit. Thanks!!

PS: I will be intalling mine this week end.