Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DME question ROW vs. OBDII

I just had to add cats to a 1999 996 car I imported from out of state, I live in CA. The prior owner had flashed the car with the ROW factory DME program, which apparently ignores after cat O2 sensors so he could run the car with no cats.

My local shop tried to flash the car back to OBD2 (I say try because I am not sure it took), while we are getting volatage values for all o2 sensors we are not getting a check engine light when we unplug the after cat 02 sensor. Does anyone have any idea on how to confirm which program you are running, in looking at porsche black box programmer laptop it shows which program you can load but does not seem to show which program is in the car.

Thanks,

vman

• Admin

Hmm... in some cases the Euro OBD II specs are tighter than the US and they use different cats.

post-1-1170608795_thumb.png

Programming

1. Connect and switch on the Porsche System Tester 2 and switch on the ignition.

2. Select 911 (996) in the Vehicle type menu.

3. Select DME in the Control unit menu and press the double arrow key [»].

4. Select Program control unit in the DME function selection menu and press the double arrow key [»].

5. Select "Read control units" and press the double arrow key [»].

6. Install new DME control module.

7. Select Program control unit in the Control unit programming menu and press the double arrow key [»].

8. Ensure that all requirements requested on the screen are fulfilled and then press the double arrow key [»].

9. The following message appears on the screen:

"Input Vehicle Ident. Number".

Input Vehicle Identification Number and press the double arrow key [»].

10. The following message appears on the screen:

"Please confirm input"

Confirm input with the [F7] key.

11. The following message appears on the screen:

"Input old DME programming code"

Input DME programming code and press the double arrow key [»].

12. The following message appears on the screen:

"Please confirm input"

13. The following message appears on the screen:

"Input new programming code"

Input new DME programming code and press the double arrow key [»].

14. The following message appears on the screen:

"Please confirm input"

15. The following message appears on the screen:

"Input new immobilizer code"

Input immobilizer code and press the double arrow key [»].

16. The following message appears on the screen:

"Please confirm input"

17. The following message appears on the screen:

"Select data record"

Select data record according to the allocation table and press the double arrow key [»].

The control module will now be programmed. Programming will take approx. 5 minutes.

18. The following message will appear after the programming time has elapsed:

"Programming was completed successfully"

Press the double arrow key [»], switch the ignition off and then on again.

This completes programming of the DME control module.

My RoW car does not have O2 sensors after the cats - only before.

In the DME Control Module Programming option of the PST2 there are 4 options:

Read Out Control Unit.

Program Control Unit - this is for programming a new DME and goes through all the options (Map, Data and Immobiliser Code).

Map/Data.

Program Immobiliser Code.

As Loren shows (step 5) you should read out the control unit before installing a new DME module. Reading out the control units doesn't allow you to see what options are selected, unfortunately. I think (and emphasize "think") that this process stores the data of the old DME, so that when you fit the new one it will have recorded the settings for the new one, allowing you to choose them by default in the programming step choices.

My suggestion would be that you read out the control unit, and then try and reprogram the map/data. I have a feeling that it will default the programming steps to the settings that are stored when the data is read out. This might confirm that the right cat settings have been made. Worth a try, perhaps.

Thanks guys

My RoW car does not have O2 sensors after the cats - only before.

In the DME Control Module Programming option of the PST2 there are 4 options:

Read Out Control Unit.

Program Control Unit - this is for programming a new DME and goes through all the options (Map, Data and Immobiliser Code).

Map/Data.

Program Immobiliser Code.

As Loren shows (step 5) you should read out the control unit before installing a new DME module. Reading out the control units doesn't allow you to see what options are selected, unfortunately. I think (and emphasize "think") that this process stores the data of the old DME, so that when you fit the new one it will have recorded the settings for the new one, allowing you to choose them by default in the programming step choices.

My suggestion would be that you read out the control unit, and then try and reprogram the map/data. I have a feeling that it will default the programming steps to the settings that are stored when the data is read out. This might confirm that the right cat settings have been made. Worth a try, perhaps.

• 8 years later...

Hello,

If i had already remap my ecu for performance and now try to go from OBDII to RoW (i don't want the ecu to see the aftercat o2 sensors)....this means that i will loose the aftermarket map program?

If i will lose it is there any way to do it with out loose the remap?

Thanks!

• Admin

Hello,

If i had already remap my ecu for performance and now try to go from OBDII to RoW (i don't want the ecu to see the aftercat o2 sensors)....this means that i will loose the aftermarket map program?

If i will lose it is there any way to do it with out loose the remap?

Thanks!

Yes, most likely since most tunes are done for a specific model and emissions standard.

The Softronic Tune has an option (I beleive) that allows you to load a modified tune or revert back to stock as you need to.