Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How to fit this thing?

Jeff, Loren,

I also bought some seat back hook replacement crest thingimebobs off ebay. I have no idea what they are called but how the hell do you fit them? Short of peeling back the leather on the seat, I can't see how to screw them in.

In the originals, the screw fits through the hook from the outside in. On these crest things the screw has to be screwed from the "inside" out! How is that possible?

Do I really have to take my seats apart or is there an easy way to do thus?

If I can find how to fit them, they should look real nice.

hook1.jpg

hook2.jpg

Don't know about your seats, but on my leather sport seats the leather "peels" off to expose the shell.

Other thought...Is the shaft of the emblem large enough so you could glue it in the hole left by the removal of the hooks?

Hi Don,

Long time no speak ;-)

Some time back I got all excited talking to you about painting the back of my seats like yours, only to find out I don't have the sport seats <groan>

Anyway, peeling the leather must be the only way. I will investigate if I can do that without wrecking my seats entirely. Other than that, glue seems the only way to go.

So how's Misty? Last time we spoke, you were on the move and you were without Misty for some time.

Cheers,

Berny

It has been awhile Berny. Sorry you couldn't paint your seatbacks :( We're down in Naples 'till May and we do have the Cab here. A lot more "top down" time here than on the Cape in the summer. :)

• Moderators

I just remove the coat hook from my standard seat to see what was behind there. Black plastic with a hole for the phillips screw. Have no idea how you would put that in with a screw from the back unless you took the seat apart.

Is the stud that sticks out the back threaded?

• Admin
ANyone know the part number on those seat hook cover things??? on my 99 C4 the sport seats came with the crest on the back but on my TT it came with the hooks which I never use...

Crest looks better IMO

996 521 781 00 emblem (2 needed)

999 919 983 09 screw 3.5 x 25 (2 needed) This is not the same as the coat hook screw it is shorter (coat hook screw is 5.0 x 25).

No the stud that sticks out the back isn't threaded but it looks like it is meant to be. It is hollow and ready to accept a screw. So that when you screw it first time it is a tight fit.

I can only think of one way to screw it in and that's by dismantling the seat and screwing it from the front. Maybe it's not meant to be for my seat type. Could it be for a LHD seat :clapping:

OK so let me ask another question: how do you dismantle the seat ;)

The part number on the back says 369373. It is a porsche part as far as I know. The original has a part number 339318 (I think that's correct, I don't have it in front of me).

• Admin
I can only think of one way to screw it in and that's by dismantling the seat and screwing it from the front. Maybe it's not meant to be for my seat type.
I think so too.

OK so let me ask another question: how do you dismantle the seat

What type of seat? standard, comfort, sports or GT3? ;)

Post a pic and I'll get you the instructions.

Thanks Loren,

Gee I have so many pics of my car but none of me seats.

I am fairly certain they are comfort. At least I got the comfort package but never knew what that meant! They are all leather, electric adjust with lumbar and heated but not memory. I will try to take pics tomorrow and post.

Cheers,

Berny

Sounds like time for hot melt or silicon glue.

That's what I would have done ...

Having said that, I kind of expected you, Toolpants, to quickly nip down to your garage, take out your seat, take it apart, shoot a video and overnight it to Scouser. :cheers:

Cheers,

Uwe

Or.....put these crests back on ebay <groan>

glue looks like the way to go. Loren thanks for the doco. Much appreciated. You da man. Sadly even if I take the seats apart it won't work as there ain't no way to screw them in with the leather behind them.

Obviously not for my seats. I would say they are for the sport seats.

BTW: what seats do I have. Are they the comfort ones?

Cheers.

Berny

For completness I am posting this here. (It's posted elswhere too.)

Loren I guess this could be a DIY thread.

Well today I went out and got some real good strong contact glue especially good for sealing plastic to leather. I ended up cutting off a 1/4 inch of the crest rear mounting tube plastic (where they would be screwed in from behind the seat back). Then I simply used the contact glue. The reason why you have to cut the mounting tube is because it is too long and would stop the crests sitting flush on the seats. Simply glue them onto the place where the coat hooks should be. They look great.

seatbackswithcrest.jpg

Hi Scouser

For what it is worth Keith down at Prestige said he would paint my seat backs for me this winter whilst the cab was 'hibernating' but he never came back to me with a price. He's clearly too busy spraying odometer reset dials and selling them on e-bay at £30 a time :D

Any more of those crest thingys about. Did you buy on UK ebay ?

My seat backs can't be painted cos they aren't sports seats.

I have been down that path before. Yes I have seen some of kieth's

work. Looks great but I am not convinced it would last long on

interior bits.

Yes got these crest thingamebobs on UK ebay. Cost me £14 for the set from a guy in Germany. They are actually porsche parts.