Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

'06 C4S Cab Tiptronic-noise on start up

Looking for a little help. I've tried a few other boards, the dealer & PCA tech board w/ no luck. I've got this noise that I did not notice when car was brand new. It happens intermittingly, maybe more often when cold out, right after I start the car. The noise comes from somewhere in the dash area, lasts for 2-3 seconds and sounds like a motor or servo starting. Kind of like a short hmmmm noise. Happens if the a/c is left on or off on start up. One dealer told me it was the compressor. But, if the a/c is off on start up, how can that be? Everything seems to work fine. Driving me crazy.... Any ideas? Thanks

...could be the climate control changing the air flow to the vents. Especially if there was a temperature difference in the car since you last drove it.

Changing the air flow from where ? Also, that would not explain the noise when the a/c is not turned on....

Edited by WTL

If the car interior is warm, the air will be directed to the dash vents, if it's cold, the foot vents. There will be a noise when it makes that transition.

It'll still do it if the AC is off or do you mean when the climate control is off?

It makes the noise when the climate control / AC is on or off during engine start.

Sounds like the emissions air pump near the engine to me.

That will run for a couple of minutes at start up.

Who knows? I hear the noise around the dash area and the engine is in the rear?? :cursing: Still going on....

There is noise associated with the nav/sound system that is present at times when turning the car on or off; I have had this in both my 07 997S and my 06 E55 AMG...it is perfectly normal.

Thanks for the input. I just think it's kind of weird that I did not hear the noise when I first got the car and that it only happens sometimes...