Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New Owner

After having spent 35+ years as an MG owner I thought that it was time to get a Boxster. After I researched all the potential problems and what to look for in a car I purchased a 98 with app. 38K. After reading the forums I now know that there was a problem with the engines which didn't seem to come up before. Is there anything that I should look for or extra maintenance which should be done to protect the engine? Thanks for you time and consideration. Ed

Edited by cvhs18472

Most people generally dont have any problems if the cars been maintained, your more than likely out of the danger period for rms leaks so you should be ok..

I know my boxsters well overdue for a service, but its not my daily driver so its not an issue atm..

But look after it and it'll last you a lifetime as they say.

Most people generally dont have any problems if the cars been maintained, your more than likely out of the danger period for rms leaks so you should be ok..

i think he's referring to the 'slipped sleeve' issue.

cvhs - post your VIN here and someone will be able to tell you if your car is one with the cylinder sleeves.

I agree, No matter what people say, Porsches are one of the leading designers in cars that last a lifetime. They just go on on on. I have a Boxster S and have nearly 100k on the clock, there is a design fault with the boxster S big end bearings that causes the engine to fail at around the 95k mark, yet because my car has been maintained requarlly, it is showing no signs of major bangs, click, knocks etc, and just keeps going.

I LOVE PORSCHES......I was fortunately (or stupid) enough to have a Porsche Boxster as my first car, now on my third one, I just cant and will not turn my back on them. Lovely!!!

After having spent 35+ years as an MG owner I thought that it was time to get a Boxster. After I researched all the potential problems and what to look for in a car I purchased a 98 with app. 38K. After reading the forums I now know that there was a problem with the engines which didn't seem to come up before. Is there anything that I should look for or extra maintenance which should be done to protect the engine? Thanks for you time and consideration. Ed

The vin is WPOCA298XWU624954. Thanks, Ed

The vin is WPOCA298XWU624954. Thanks, Ed

i did some reading and i think you can only tell the model year from the VIN (yours is X which is 1998).

the build date should be on a sticker on the driver's door jamb. i believe the cars that have the sleeve issues were built from 10/98 to 2/99.

you can also check this forum for more info, search for 'slipped sleeve' and you will find more info.

after further reading i found that since the build dates were 10/98 to 2/99, the cars with the slipped sleeve problem would be 1999 cars, so with your 1998 model year the slipped sleeve issue should not be a problem.

sorry for the scare. i just remembered the build dates that included '98. ;)

here is the official story from PCA.

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.a...D-BB4F445F5A8F}

after further reading i found that since the build dates were 10/98 to 2/99, the cars with the slipped sleeve problem would be 1999 cars, so with your 1998 model year the slipped sleeve issue should not be a problem.

sorry for the scare. i just remembered the build dates that included '98. ;)

here is the official story from PCA.

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.a...D-BB4F445F5A8F}

Thanks for the info Chris. Ed