Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Durametric vs. Generic OBD2 scanner vs. PST2

OK - we would all like a PST2 at home.

But the nearest we can get is a Durametric, and failing that, a generic OBD2 scanner.

The Durametric web site marketting blurb says their software can find DTC's that generic OBD2 scanners can miss.

Does anyone have any direct experience of this grey area?

Cheers,

Jules

Thanks Loren,

I did find this post during searching, but it doesnt really answer my question.

I'm really looking for explicit examples where people have used an OBD2 scanner against the DME looking for running problems, and its said "no faults", yet the Durametric has shown "hidden" faults.

There is an example of this on the Durametric web site here but I dont yet understand what class of faults might not be covered by a generic OBD2 scanner.

Like I say, I'm thinking just about the DME here, and related to running problems. I understand fully that the Durametric tool will look at ABS, AC etc etc - but I'm not interested in that, just yet!

Jules

• Admin

The Durametric Software is based on the exact same tests (and result codes) that are run with Porsche's proprietary PST2 and PIWIS systems.

The general market scanners are intended for "all cars" and don't have the additional model specific information that the Durametric, PST2, and PIWIS have.

• 4 years later...

The Durametric Software is based on the exact same tests (and result codes) that are run with Porsche's proprietary PST2 and PIWIS systems.

The general market scanners are intended for "all cars" and don't have the additional model specific information that the Durametric, PST2, and PIWIS have.

Sorry to open this up again but would it be better for me (personal owner with some experience) to purchase the Durametric or a PST2 (for engine fault codes and diags)?

Edited by Mtnbiker326

• Admin

Sorry to open this up again but would it be better for me (personal owner with some experience) to purchase the Durametric or a PST2 (for engine fault codes and diags)?

If you have the money and plan on doing lots of Porsche work then by all means get a PST2.

If you plan on occasional work and 3 or fewer cars then get the Durametric.

Durametric is about $400 and PST2 range from $2000 to $4000.

I've personally seen the Durametric display a 0410 and 1126 codes and then hooked up the generic scanner and it did not show the 0410. Also seen the 0410 by itself in the Durametric (no CEL) when at the same time the generic would not show anything. Some generic scanners will display pending codes but not my cheap Walmart unit.

Personally I say go for the Durametric if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. It's fun to use and lets you activate functions. I wasn't sure if my fans were working in both the low and high speed modes so I tested them through the Durametric with the motor off and could easily hear both modes. I'm ordering a fuel pressure test gauge and I'll use the Durametric to turn on the high stage of the fuel pump.

The downside to the Durametric is the lack of information about the meaning of the values you obtain from the sensors. I'm chasing down my 1126 code, which means the car is running lean. It was hard to find someone who could explain the data. According to an expert at another web site my car is running rich at low loads and lean under higher loads, pointing toward a MAF or fueling issue. In this case the Durametric is (maybe) pointing at a non-obvious solution since typically folks assume vacuum leaks are the most likely cause for the 1126 code.

To me the only benefit of a PST over Durametric is the ability to code things on the car (engine software, code keys, etc). If you don't have a need for this, save the money and get a Durametric.

Also, on a side note, since the PST2 only really works on stuff up through 9X6, if you plan to get a 9X7 or other newer Porsche, you really want a PIWIS (however, then you REALLY have to open your wallet).