Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Carrera Instrument Cluster Transplant To Boxster

Bill,

Just to be clear - Anne will need to find a (in her case) MY02 or newer C2 cab so that I can perform the programming. Since your procedure includes "3. Open (or close) the top slightly so the top cover is out of the closed position," - it can't be programmed using a coupe. Correct?

Loren,

I've edited the above post to reflect that any MY02 - MY04 996 C2/C2S or C4/C4S can be used as the "setup" car. (I'm excluding the Turbo from this group because I just don't know if it would work. There are already too many variables particularly when you include the problems you may be inheriting in an instrument cluster found on the internet.)

The reason I included the bit about opening the top cover slightly was because I just happened to use a Cabriolet as my setup car. I should have been less (?) specific about the setup car. But, had I opened the top cover slightly, I feel I would have seen the top warning light illuminate upon saving "convertable top" with the PST2, saving the technician and me an hour of head scratching. With the top cover closed, the top warning light goes out after about 5 seconds of test due to logic circuitry in the instrument cluster.

Again, I hope this helps.

Bill

The problem lies in the fact that all the control units must be scanned to allow for cluster coding. If you scan the systems as Boxster, you will get a '?' by the cluster as it isn't recognized as a boxster cluster. Now if you do a 996 control unit scan the only thing recognized as 996 is the cluster, and since the DME contains the vehicle info, you can't change the coding in the cluster. This isn't a problem with my car as all the systems are recognized as '996'. The easiest thing to do would be to plug the cluster into a 996 and code it the way you want, then the swap would be a plug and play situation.

Todd

So, Todd, what I think you're saying is that the most straight-forward fix for this to allow me to fix my top light problem, and be able to easily code the cluster in the future, is to install a 996 engine and all the other required parts (per your previous Boxster engine-swap posts) into my car. Hey Loren, do you think this would be a good project for the next work-on-cars day?? ;)

Seriously, the top light isn't that pressing an issue for me. If there was someone with a MY02 or newer 996 in the area that would let me borrow their car to program the cluster, that would be okay. Unless I have issues with the fuel gauge, I'm not desperate to get it recoded right now. Too bad Chuck's car is a Turbo. I might have tried to talk him into letting me use his car to code the cluster if I helped him install a short shifter. :D

Anne

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, there has been some developments since my last visit. So a MY02+ C4 cluster may prove to be a viable candidate for the swap? This is interesting. I have a MY02 C2 tip cluster in my MY01 986 and the fuel gauge is dead on accurate. I ran my fuel down to near empty (at least far enough for the light to come on) a week after the swap as I was verifying the fuel gauge was indeed working correctly. My only issue is the top light, which really isn't a pressing issue to me at this time. As far as the mileage goes, I didn't opt to have my mileage changed on the cluster, but instead took pictures of my 986 cluster just before I pulled it, and then took a picture of the C2 cluster after I installed it and powered up the car. Should I ever decide to sell my 986, all I have to do is fill out a mileage affidavit and will attach the pics as additional verification. I actually am on my second C2 cluster, as I decided that the grey gauge faces on my first cluster didn't look as good to me as the black faces on my current C2 cluster. I also have a silver gauge face turbo cluster (It came with the 996 gauge pod that I picked up on eBay) that I would have liked to have used, but didn't due to worries about the fuel gauge being inaccurate. Would the turbo cluster work?????

If anyone is interested in the grey face cluster, let me know.

I will be checking back in on this thread to see how LowFlyR does with the fuel gauge issue.

Good stuff.

• 3 months later...
I will be checking back in on this thread to see how LowFlyR does with the fuel gauge issue.

Good stuff.

I'm sorry I have not been back to report my progress...

Well there is not much to tell. Fuel gauge reads very optimistic. When it is @ 1/4, it takes ~13gal. This is after several fills. I have not tried to calibrate gauge yet. I might try that later.

My e-brake light still doesn't work, anybody have any ideas on that?

My handbrake light don't lit when the handbrake is pulled. It works before car is started, so bulb (LED) is fine. Also I need to pull the handbrake to operate the top, so switch seems ok. Is MY04 C4S handbrake light in diffrent connector than MY01 Boxster S? Help?

AnneH: Is your fuel gauge still working OK?

:renntech:

• 3 weeks later...

LowFlyR,

My fuel gauge is no good. It's great for the top 1/4 tank. Below that, and it reads very high. I haven't figured out yet how or when I'm going to fix it (along with my cabriolet light issue). I know the straight-forward approach is to find someone with a 2002 or newer 996 (non-turbo) that is willing to let me take apart their dash to plug in my cluster so it can be reprogrammed. That's harder than it sounds. ;)

I'm not sure if I could flash my DME to use software for a C2, reprogram the cluster & then flash it back to being a 986 DME. I looked up the DME part numbers and they're the same. I'm still researching whether this is feasible, and what the disastrous possibilities are if it doesn't work.

At this point, I know how far I can get on a tank of gas, so I just refill before that point. I haven't managed to run out of gas yet, but it is annoying.

Anne

AnneH: Is your fuel gauge still working OK?

:renntech:

Anne,

Yes, that is really the only way to code a 996 cluster in a Boxster. You can just remap your DME as a 996, change the order type to C2 cab in the DME vehicle data section, read out all control units, change any additional coding in the cluster that you want, then remap the dme back to 986. As you state the only other way is to swap the cluster into another car. Remapping the DME is a much easier process if you find someone with a PST who is willing to do it for you.

Todd

Anne,

Yes, that is really the only way to code a 996 cluster in a Boxster. You can just remap your DME as a 996, change the order type to C2 cab in the DME vehicle data section, read out all control units, change any additional coding in the cluster that you want, then remap the dme back to 986. As you state the only other way is to swap the cluster into another car. Remapping the DME is a much easier process if you find someone with a PST who is willing to do it for you.

Todd

Would this correct fuel gauge issue? My cluster is from C4S cab and fuel gauge is VERY optimistic.

Yes, your cluster is coded for a C4, different fuel tank thus error in the gauge. You will need to recode the cluster and probably recalibrate the gauge.

Todd

I went to a local dealer and they SAID they tried and it did not work??? They actually had the car in the shop for about half an hour, but...

I will talk to local independent, hopefully that will work better

Todd,

Loren says he's willing to do help me with this, but with details so we don't accidentally mess up my DME. Can you tell me what steps we would follow, with the PST, to do the remapping, coding change, and remapping (back to 986)? Is there anything special we need to be aware of while doing this?

Thanks for all of your input! I'm really excited that there might be a way to fix this without another car involved.

Anne

Anne,

Todd

Lowflyer,

Obviously your techs don't know what they are doing.

Todd

Oh, I know they don't. (Not MY techs bye the way :clapping: ) I just drove my friend over there to look some shirts and while I was waiting him, I talked with a salesman, who I know, and showed him the cluster and mentioned gauge problem. He called service coordinator, who offered to give it a look. I was just hoping they don't mess it more...

If you could give the exact prcedure. That would help. There are 2 excellent indepents here and one of them promised to work with it when I have time to bring it in.

In order to code the cluster follow the following procedure.

Connect the PST2 or PIWIS tester and select model 996 and DME

The only option will be to reprogram the DME

Reprogram the DME with the old and new immob. and DME codes being the same as current

After programming enter the vehicle data tab

recode model type to 911 C2 cab (911310 for North Am, 911311 for ROW)

back up to original screen and do a complete control module search

enter the instrument cluster tab, change any coding you would like (cruise, obc etc)

exit back to the original screen

enter 986 model and dme

reprogram to 986 program using current codes as above.

One caveat is that I have been told that total dme reprogramming can only be done 3 times before the dme locks out. Don't know if it is true, I have remapped my dme several times between X51 ROW and OBD specs much greater than 3 times but that is different than complete reprogramming to another model type.

Todd

Edited by tholyoak

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

Was looking at getting some white dials for my MY00 Boxster but i love the idea of getting the Carrera cluster installed. From reading the other posts would a standard 2000/2001 C2 cluster do the job? If so would the C2S have the white gauges and be compatible with my vehicle? Again, from what i have read in this post as long as its C2 of the "old" type i should be ok.

Would anyone have the part number i would need?

Thanks for all the help, great post.

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

After a full 14 months into this DIY project, the only feedback I’ve gotten is from folks who have had problems with their cars. Hopefully there are some RennTech’ers who have had a better result from their project.

In an effort to summarize what has been learned so far, I’ll start with the Carrera instrument cluster itself. The assumption of the DIY is that the instrument cluster is fully functional. I have a concern with the instrument clusters found on the internet auction sites. Did the seller just decide one day that he didn’t need the instrument cluster in his car? Or, is it available because it was removed from his car for cause? I would put more trust an established re-cycler’s parts because the instrument cluster in the donor car was probably working properly before the accident and, given no physical damage to the instrument cluster, probably still does. I also have doubts about the viability of an instrument cluster that has had the part number and/or serial number removed.

Anyway, the basic MY02 – MY04 Carrera instrument cluster is the same regardless of the car it is installed in. There are different part numbers for manual vs. Tiptronic and color coordination of the instrument faces to interior colors, but the instrument cluster is functionally the same whether it is installed in a C2, C4, Coupe, Targa, etc. Only the coding by a PST2 / PIWIS tailors the instrument cluster to the car. (Instrument clusters from Turbos are a different breed and should not be considered for a transplant.)

The ideal candidate for a transplant into an MY01 – MY04 Boxster is a Carrera instrument cluster taken from an MY02 – MY04 996 C2 Cabriolet. (Obviously, consideration has to be made for the type of transmission – manual or Tiptronic.) This means that the instrument cluster is coded for the proper fuel tank/fuel quantity transmitter and the “Convertible Top Warning Light”. If the instrument cluster is taken from a Coupe (or Targa), the Convertible Top Warning Light will not illuminate when the Boxster’s top cover isn’t fully stowed. (That was my situation.) Some people can live with that anomaly. In an effort to make the instrument cluster operate completely, I elected to re-install my instrument cluster in a 996 and code it, as a Cabriolet, with a PIWIS. Obviously, not everybody has a 996 available to do what I did. The reason I had to re-install the instrument cluster in a Carrera is because the Carrera instrument cluster has to “see” a Carrera DME before it will allow it’s coding to be modified. (More on DME’s below.)

Another problem reported by DIY’ers is that the fuel gauge is inaccurate. If you purchase a Carrera instrument cluster that was installed in a Carrera C4 / C4S, the fuel gauge will not indicate the actual quantity of fuel in your fuel tank. The C4 /C4S, because of the location of the front differential and associated suspension parts, has a differently shaped (saddle) fuel tank and a different fuel quantity transmitter. But, given a properly coded, functional Carrera instrument cluster, there should be no problems with the fuel quantity system. There is a fuel level calibration procedure in the maintenance manual which is called for after the change of a fuel quantity component. But, because the calibration procedure can only change the system by 5% (.8 US Gallon in a 16.9 US Gallon tank) it isn’t routinely done.

FUEL QUANTITY SYSTEM CALIBRATION. If you feel there is a need to calibrate your fuel quantity system, the following is taken from the maintenance manual.

1. Disconnect battery.

2. Remove fuel level sensor.

3. Using a fuel extractor, completely drain the fuel tank through the fuel level sensor opening.

4. Reinstall the fuel level sensor and, with “ignition off”, fill the tank with 12 liters of fuel.

5. Reconnect the battery.

6. Perform tank calibration with PST2 / PIWIS:

6 a. Select vehicle type (996 C2),

6 b. Select control modules,

6 c. Select instrument cluster,

6 d. Select menu item “Tank Calibration”,

6 e. Confirm calibration.

7. The fuel level sensor system has now been calibrated.

NOTE : This calibration procedure does not take the place of re-coding a C4 / C4S instrument cluster to C2 instrument cluster specifications.

Assuming a properly operating fuel system - no problems getting fuel in the tank - and automatic pump delivery nozzle shutoff, the following quantities should be fairly representative of fuel delivered to fill the fuel tank from the cardinal points on the fuel gauge: ¾ - 4.23 US Gallons to full; ½ - 8.45 US Gallons to full; ¼ - 12.68 US Gallons to full; Low Fuel Warning Light illuminated (when it first illuminates) – 14.30 US Gallons to full; Empty – 16.90 US Gallons to full.

There is a great deal of commonality in the components of the fuel system. This information was taken from the Porsche PET parts list:

986 Fuel Quantity Transmitter

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -

MY97-MY01 : 996.620.808.00

MY02-MY04 : 996.620.832.01

996 C2 Fuel Quantity Transmitter

MY98-MY99 : 996.641.801.00

MY00-MY01 : 996.620.808.00

MY02-MY04 : 996.620.832.01

986 Fuel Tank

MY97-MY01 : 996.201.021.02

MY02-MY04 : 996.201.021.05

996 C2 Fuel Tank

MY98 MY01 : 996.201.021.02

MY02-MY04 : 996.201.021.05

ON BOARD COMPUTER. All MY02-MY04 Carreras had OBC’s as standard equipment….using the four stalk switch assembly. If your MY01-MY04 Boxster has a factory installed OBC or has had a four stalk switch assembly OBC “hack”, the transplanted instrument cluster will function exactly as shown in the owner’s manual. If your Boxster has a one or two button OBC hack, the transplanted instrument cluster will display some information but may have problems changing between functions or resetting functions.

DME CODING. This procedure has been used to successfully code a 986 DME as a 996, code the instrument cluster to C2 Cabriolet and finally recode the DME back to 986. I would strongly suggest that the person following this procedure be an experienced PST2 / PIWIS operator. There are several steps (key strokes) needed to accomplish some of the individual items listed below.

1. Get DME and Immobilizer codes for the car in question. You will need to contact a Porsche dealer, providing proof of ownership and the VIN number. Safe guard these codes and any other codes the dealer may furnish. They can be used to have keys made and/or re-program the car so that the real owner cannot access the car. Use these codes when asked to input the old codes and the new codes in the DME and immobilizer fields of the PST2 / PIWIS. If you have a battery that is suspect, i.e., old and/or weak, use a battery maintainer while doing the procedure. If the PST2 / PIWIS senses a voltage less than 12 volts, it may refuse to code the DME. Any power interruption during the reprogramming of the DME can complicate the situation substantially….possibly unrecoverably.

2. Connect the PST2 / PIWIS, turn key ON, select 996 and DME. The only option will be to reprogram the DME.

3. Reprogram DME as a 996 DME.

4. Turn key OFF then back ON.

5. Rescan all controllers for a 996.

6. Change model type order code to 996310 – North American C2 Cabriolet (996311 – RHD C2 Cabriolet)

7. Turn key OFF then back ON.

8. Rescan all controllers for a 996.

9. Code instrument cluster. Step through every option, i. e., OBC, Cruise Control, Cabriolet, etc. (If you forget to code any of these options before you recode the DME back to 986 at the end of this procedure, you’ll have to start all over again at step 2!)

10. Initialize the instrument cluster. This over writes the existing instrument cluster parameters.

11. Turn key OFF then back ON.

12. Program DME as a 986. North American 986’s are LEV vehicles when asked to input “emissions type”. There are three other emission types : RoW, EOBD and EOBD/Belg. These are used in other parts of the world. The type order code for a 986 is : 986310; a 986S is : 986320; a 986 (RHD) is : 986311; a 986S (RHD) is : 986321.

13. After programming the DME follow the instructions to clear CAN bus fault codes in the controllers that have faults (usually the AC and PSM).

14. Turn key OFF then back ON.

15. Rescan all of the controllers for a 986.

16. Turn key OFF, disconnect PST2 / PIWIS. Finished!

While the PST2 / PIWIS is available, if you are contemplating adding an OBC or cruise control in the future, this would be a good time to turn on their capabilities. Cruise control is covered quite extensively here :

www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=661&st=40

There is information for non-egas and egas cars which is beyond the scope of this DIY project….except to mention the need to code both the Boxster DME and the Carrera instrument cluster for cruise control.

RADIOS. Pre-MY03 Boxster radios will only need the four digit security code to become operational again. MY03-MY04 Boxsters with the Media Oriented System Transport (MOST) bus will need to use a PST2 / PIWIS to become operational. My Porsche dealer technician ran the “Sports Car Handover” routine to get my Carrera instrument cluster to recognize the CDR-23 Radio. The sports car handover routine is run on all Porsches when they are received by the dealer off the delivery truck. When the cars are shipped from the factory they are electrically inert. If you are recoding your DME (see above), do the radio procedure after the DME recoding is complete.

BROKEN PLUG HARDWARE. For those MY01 – MY04 DIY’ers who have broken the lock on one or more of the instrument cluster plugs or who are afraid they might, here’s the part number you need : PNA 721.04.300.202. This part number gets you a package with the three colored (blue, green, gray) covers/locks and all three black plugs. They only come as a set of three and cost $27.00 (dealer). The blue, white and black covers/locks and plugs are available for MY97 – MY00 Boxsters too. Have your Porsche technician (not parts guy) check his “Porsche Electrical Connector Repair Kit” for the replacement parts or at least a part number for the three plug package. The entire repair kit is known as CARTOOL – Nr 96 0 000 or PNA 721 043 600. It is full of connectors the parts guy would like to sell you the entire wiring harness for.

DadsCamera326.jpg

MY97 – MY00 BOXSTERS. For RennTech members who have MY97-MY00 cars and who are contemplating installing a Carrera instrument cluster, the following might be of some assistance.

You must find a Carrera C2 instrument cluster. The C4 / C4S instrument clusters are physically (internally) different and there is no hope of getting the fuel gauge system to indicate fuel quantity accurately. I would also recommend looking for an instrument cluster from only MY00-MY01 Carreras. This is because the MY98 - MY99 Carreras use a different fuel quantity transmitter than your Boxster (see above chart) so a MY98 – MY99 instrument cluster may not be compatible with your Boxster’s fuel quantity transmitter. Also, a MY98 – MY99 instrument cluster may not have provisions for the On Board Computer. Your ideal Carrera instrument cluster would be from a MY00 - MY01 C2 Cabriolet.

From the 2005 PET parts list, the following part numbers are representative of the MY00 – MY01 Carrera instrument clusters that would be good candidates. These instrument clusters are matched to your Boxster’s fuel quantity transmitter and have “electronic mail” which I would guess is Porsche parts manual speak for On Board Computer message display capability.

MY00 – MY01 Carrera C2 6-Speed 996.641.105.02.70C

MY00 – MY01 Carerra C2 Tiptronic 996.641.106.02.70C

MY00 – MY01 Carrera C2 (GB) 6-Speed 996.641.107.02.70C

MY00 – My01 Carrera C2 (GB) Tiptronic 996.641.108.02.70C

For reference, the MY98 – MY99 Carrera C2 instrument cluster part numbers are the same as above except they are 996.641.###.01.70C.

Edited by whall

Nick,

I don't think that is possible. Looking at the PET parts list illustrations, the Boxster and Carrera dashboards are physically different. The instrument clusters are substantially different as well.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

A few questions. I have a US 1999 986 that I have imported to Europe. If I order a new instrument cluster, would the dealer be able to set the correct mileage on the odometer? Or would it not be accessible because this is not a 996? Also; does anyone have the part number for KM-dials? Regular LHD, not UK. :)

I found this site:

http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/974663190

It says (CAN) on the part numbers given for MY00-MY01 parts by whall... is this KM?

Atle

• Admin
A few questions. I have a US 1999 986 that I have imported to Europe. If I order a new instrument cluster, would the dealer be able to set the correct mileage on the odometer? Or would it not be accessible because this is not a 996? Also; does anyone have the part number for KM-dials? Regular LHD, not UK. :)

I found this site:

http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/974663190

It says (CAN) on the part numbers given for MY00-MY01 parts by whall... is this KM?

Atle

On a new cluster the answer is yes a dealer could set the correct mileage.

The question is whether they are willing to program your car as a 996 (so they can code the cluster) and then change it back to 986 afterward.

• 5 months later...

Update: I finally did re-code my cluster today and it looks like it worked! Of course I can not be sure before I put some miles on it, but I think gas gauge works better now. Also my e-brake light started working after re-code.

Thanks Bill & Loren for all your help! :renntech: :renntech:

Edited by LowFlyR

• 2 months later...
Update: I finally did re-code my cluster today and it looks like it worked! Of course I can not be sure before I put some miles on it, but I think gas gauge works better now. Also my e-brake light started working after re-code.

Thanks Bill & Loren for all your help! :renntech: :renntech:

It worked. My fuel gauge is OK. E-brake is OK. Only thing is that I lost my cruise, I must forgot to code it somewhere. Back to the shop, some day... It is not that important to me.