Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Carrera Instrument Cluster Transplant To Boxster

Carrera Instrument Cluster Transplant To Boxster

Installing an MY02 Carrera C2 (Manual) Instrument Cluster in an MY03 Boxster (Manual) I have a few of general observations. First, I selected a Carrera C2 (manual transmission) instrument cluster because, having read through several threads on this forum, there didn’t appear to be any systems compatibility problems with the installation. For example, fuel gage problems with a C4 cluster (due to fuel tank design) or oil quantity/car leveling errors with a Turbo cluster (due to engine sump diff

Edited by whall

• Moderators

Glad it finally worked out. 996 non-MOST cluster retrofit on a MOST Boxster and the 996 cluster even has the dot matrix display. The only person I know that did this is bluboy 911 but he removed the oil pressure and volt meter gauges - so minus 1 point. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...p;hl=radio+code

What I call the old style cluster was used on the Boxster from 1997-2000, and on the 996 from 1998 (1999 in the US)-2001. The new style was used on the Boxster from 2001-2004, and on the 996 from 2002-2004. The old and new style do not interchange.

Other things to consider. A tiptronic cluster has gear position indicator lights that the manual transmission does not have. The first year for the dot matrix cluster was the first year of the turbo - 2001 - but you do not want to use a turbo cluster. The first year for the dot matrix cluster on the Boxster was 2002 and I think the same year for the 996. You got the dot matrix cluster if you have factory OBC.

Excellent writeup, whall. It's always good to hear not only how to do it but what might go wrong.

One question: how much did you pay for the instrument cluster mileage reset? I have seen some pretty high prices out there.

Excellent writeup, whall. It's always good to hear not only how to do it but what might go wrong.

One question: how much did you pay for the instrument cluster mileage reset? I have seen some pretty high prices out there.

Palo Alto Speedometer did the mileage change. They charged $150.00 and did a great, two day turn around. And, paspeedo.com was very responsive to my e-mails. I have seen some of the recycling yards asking up to $400.00! Unfortunately, the shipping was almost as expensive as the service: $60.00 each way. I insured the instrument cluster for full replacement value and the carrriers, UPS out, FedEx back, required second day delivery......I suppose to limit the exposure to the twenty foot drop test some boxes get.

Here is a look at the cost of the project: :eek:

1. Carrera instrument cluster: $350.00

2. Carrera oil pressure sensor: $ 43.17

3. VW Wire Pin: $ 3.56

4. Mileage reset: $150.00

5. Shipping: $120.00

6. Radio Shack purchases: $ 7.00

7. Porsche dealer assistance: $122.00

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Glad it finally worked out. 996 non-MOST cluster retrofit on a MOST Boxster and the 996 cluster even has the dot matrix display. The only person I know that did this is bluboy 911 but he removed the oil pressure and volt meter gauges - so minus 1 point. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...p;hl=radio+code

What I call the old style cluster was used on the Boxster from 1997-2000, and on the 996 from 1998 (1999 in the US)-2001. The new style was used on the Boxster from 2001-2004, and on the 996 from 2002-2004. The old and new style do not interchange.

Other things to consider. A tiptronic cluster has gear position indicator lights that the manual transmission does not have. The first year for the dot matrix cluster was the first year of the turbo - 2001 - but you do not want to use a turbo cluster. The first year for the dot matrix cluster on the Boxster was 2002 and I think the same year for the 996. You got the dot matrix cluster if you have factory OBC.

Ok, the swap actually looks pretty straightforward. I have a 2001 Boxster with Tiptronic. So from what I gather, I would need a 996 tiptronic cluster from a 2002 and newer C2? Any idea what the part number would be?

Thanks,

Jeff

Ok, the swap actually looks pretty straightforward. I have a 2001 Boxster with Tiptronic. So from what I gather, I would need a 996 tiptronic cluster from a 2002 and newer C2? Any idea what the part number would be?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

You might try looking at this parts catalog:

https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/pdf/e...996_KATALOG.pdf

"Main Group 9", "Chapter 906".

I found these three which look like possible candidates for your car:

996.641.981.76.70C (MY02-, Option M 249, black face, page 552)

996.641.981.26.XXX (MY02-, Option M 249, faces to match interior colors, page 551)

996.641.226.03.70C (MY02-, Option M 249, black face, page 548)

Option M 249 is the Tiptronic transmission.

I hope this helps. You may want to double check with a dealer or after market supplier to make sure. Measure twice, cut once. :D

Cheers,

Bill

There are a few candidates on ebay, starting at $99.99. But you would need to verify the application and condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-CLU...sspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-INS...sspagenameZWDVW

I'm actually watching both of those auctions, but the $99 auction states that they don't know the application and the clock set stem is missing. But the price is right. The other auction I'm having trouble tracking down the part number in the parts catalog I have. I am calling the seller tomorrow to discuss this cluster. He also has a grey faced cluster, but he tells me that some numbskull removed the part number tag on the back.

996 Grey Cluster

He does state that he can check the mileage for additional $45. Not sure how he does that without talking to him first.

This search may be difficult without actually knowing what vehicle the cluster actually came out of.

Edited by Thumper

• Moderators

The knob shafts on the new style cluster are plastic and they break off if you hit the knob hard enough. Porsche does not sell the shaft. If that cluster checks out then you would have to take the shaft out of your cluster.

If you plug the cluster into the correct year car the mileage on the cluster will be displayed. I guess the $45 deal is to send it to a speedometer shop to check the mileage, but why if your are going to have it changed.

Watch out for used clusters on ebay. There are defective ones out there. Some were warranty replacements that were supposed to be destroyed, but they show up on ebay. Whall was smart and saw the cluster in action before he bought it.

If you talk to the seller in Pamona let me know his name. There is a guy in Southern California that was selling good used parts, but I forget his name. If it is the same guy some of the local owners bought parts from him and the parts were good.

The knob shafts on the new style cluster are plastic and they break off if you hit the knob hard enough. Porsche does not sell the shaft. If that cluster checks out then you would have to take the shaft out of your cluster.

If you plug the cluster into the correct year car the mileage on the cluster will be displayed. I guess the $45 deal is to send it to a speedometer shop to check the mileage, but why if your are going to have it changed.

Watch out for used clusters on ebay. There are defective ones out there. Some were warranty replacements that were supposed to be destroyed, but they show up on ebay. Whall was smart and saw the cluster in action before he bought it.

If you talk to the seller in Pamona let me know his name. There is a guy in Southern California that was selling good used parts, but I forget his name. If it is the same guy some of the local owners bought parts from him and the parts were good.

The guy in Pomona is Ray Robles. He says that he's sold quite a few clusters and that he gets them from a couple of local dealerships when they swap them out due to broken knob shafts. He tells me that he replaces the shaft and then resells them on eBay. He also said that he's never had one returned for being defective. He took the grey faced cluster in to the dealership that he deals with the most and verified that it's from a C2. I'm not sure how they checked it, but he seemed like a good guy over the phone, so we'll see how it all works out. I have a local speedo shop that's going to reset the mileage and I'll have them check functionality. If the speedo shop can't test everything, I'll take it over to the guys at RUF and see if they can check it out. I got it for a decent price, so worst case I have a relatively inexpensive shelf ornament.

Now I need to find an extra cluster surround to trim (I like having extras in case I get over zealous with my dremel).

• Moderators

Ray Robles is the name I could not remember. One of our local guys (Raman) bought a use Boxster S cluster for the silver gauges to put in a base Boxster. I tested that cluster before it was put in and it worked. Another local guy (Henry) bought some interior parts and had no problems. This was a few years ago. I had also contacted Ray back then when I was trying to do my 996 cluster swap, for the 996 surround and dash cap.

Hope it works. Ask Ray to keep an eye out for a 1999-2001 cluster with manual transmission for me.

Ray Robles is the name I could not remember. One of our local guys (Raman) bought a use Boxster S cluster for the silver gauges to put in a base Boxster. I tested that cluster before it was put in and it worked. Another local guy (Henry) bought some interior parts and had no problems. This was a few years ago. I had also contacted Ray back then when I was trying to do my 996 cluster swap, for the 996 surround and dash cap.

Hope it works. Ask Ray to keep an eye out for a 1999-2001 cluster with manual transmission for me.

I'll be more than happy to pass that on.

Anyone have a black 996 cluster surround laying around?

996 surround does not work with a Boxster instrument cluster cover.

I was thinking of the entire cluster cover and surround from a 996.

Like this only in Black

1z1ejav.jpg

Ray says that he will have more clusters next month.

Edited by Thumper

• Moderators

That is the way I wanted to do it. But I have Boxster red leather. And I could not find a 996 surround and cover in Boxster red that would not have cost an arm and leg. Loren has a 996 with Boxster red interior but he would not let me near his car. Black will be easier to find.

So I decided to cut my surround to fit the 996 cluster. In the picture I have the 996 cluster face next to my Boxster surround/cover to figure out where to cut. There are actally lines that you can follow. But then I thought maybe I should first make sure the 996 ebay cluster worked, and that is when I found out the middle LCD display was defective. End of project.

If you look at Whall's pictures I can tell that he cut his Boxster surround.

post-4-1173515798_thumb.jpg

That is the way I wanted to do it. But I have Boxster red leather. And I could not find a 996 surround and cover in Boxster red that would not have cost an arm and leg. Loren has a 996 with Boxster red interior but he would not let me near his car. Black will be easier to find.

So I decided to cut my surround to fit the 996 cluster. In the picture I have the 996 cluster face next to my Boxster surround/cover to figure out where to cut. There are actally lines that you can follow. But then I thought maybe I should first make sure the 996 ebay cluster worked, and that is when I found out the middle LCD display was defective. End of project.

I found another guy who has done this swap and he trimmed his Boxster surround and then found out that the aluminum gauge rings would not fit on the gauges with the trimmed Boxster surround, so he changed his out for the 996 surround. I was really wanting to put the gauge rings on my new cluster, but the only used 996 surrounds that I've found were $475 and $500 respectively. Ouch! Before I commit the additional funds, I think I'll wait until my cluster arrives and make sure it's not defective.

Will the 996 cluster have the OBC activated? Or is that an option on the 996's the same as it is on the 986's?

I found another guy who has done this swap and he trimmed his Boxster surround and then found out that the aluminum gauge rings would not fit on the gauges with the trimmed Boxster surround, so he changed his out for the 996 surround. I was really wanting to put the gauge rings on my new cluster, but the only used 996 surrounds that I've found were $475 and $500 respectively. Ouch! Before I commit the additional funds, I think I'll wait until my cluster arrives and make sure it's not defective.

Will the 996 cluster have the OBC activated? Or is that an option on the 996's the same as it is on the 986's?

Using the RennTech price search function, I found the price for a new, black leatherette 996 surround to be $450; Part Number 996.552.059.02 EUD. The $475-500 used surrounds must be leather.

Your 996 instrument cluster, being an MY02-, most likely has the OBC enabled. I think only the earlier cars had the OBC as an option.

Cheers,

Bill

• Moderators

I would suggest that you not spend any more time or money on trim parts until you can get that 996 cluster working on your Boxster.

You are going from a 2001 Boxster to a 2002 996 cluster with unknown specifications. I do not know anyone who has updated like this.

I would suggest that you not spend any more time or money on trim parts until you can get that 996 cluster working on your Boxster.

That's my plan.

You are going from a 2001 Boxster to a 2002 996 cluster with unknown specifications. I do not know anyone who has updated like this.

Not real confidence inspiring....I guess we'll find out if it works pretty soon. I'm under the assumption that since my Boxster is an '01, it has the updated cluster so I must use an updated cluster from a 996, i.e.; 2002+

If my thinking is flawed, please let me know.

Edited by Thumper

• 3 weeks later...
So I decided to cut my surround to fit the 996 cluster. In the picture I have the 996 cluster face next to my Boxster surround/cover to figure out where to cut. There are actually lines that you can follow.

Hi TP, I've got a working Carrera cluster and the oil pressure sensor. Can you just confirm the 996 surround doesn't fit into the Boxster cover? I thought they were identical, but the Carrera cover just had a couple of extra cut-outs. Can you remember how they differ apart from this?

You say there are a couple of lines you can follow on the Boxster surround. I don't suppose you have any pics of these? I realise I could just dismantle mine but I'd rather have all the parts at hand before I start, and that might include a ready cut replacment surround (haven't looked at second hand dealers yet but Essential Styling have a silver coloured one for £160+VAT if it all goes wrong...)

http://www.essentialstyling.com/instrument%20housing.jpg

I assume this is the part that needs to be cut/altered.

Edited by Paul Fraser

• Moderators

This picture is the rear of my Boxster dash cap/surround and the face off the 996 cluster. The face of a 996 cluster is wider than a Boxster due to the 2 additional gauges, so you need to cut/trim the Boxster surround.

I have put yellow marks on the area that you need to cut away, but just on one side of the Boxster surround. Of course you also need to cut away the other side. This picture is from the rear so you will not see what I am talking about until you remove the unit from your car and then remove the cluster.

Once you have your dash out and the cluster removed you will see the lines/ridges that you cut to, so that the 996 cluster will fit. The plasic is thin.

The picture in the link is the Boxster surround that you will need to cut.

post-4-1175738645_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that TP, the picture is very helpful. I had reservations about cutting the Boxster surround for fear of making a mess of it but from your picture it seems that it might be easier than I had thought it would be. I'll have a look at this in the next week or so.