Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacement Remote/Key

Pretty funny but true. To save some money, buy the remote and key blank separate (from Sunset). Have your local dealer program the remote and cut the blank. Then you hand over your arm and leg to the dealer as payment. Goood Luck!

Edited by rhregis

Pretty funny but true. To save some money, buy the remote and key blank separate (from Sunset). Have your local dealer program the remote and cut the blank. Then you hand over your arm and leg to the dealer as payment. Goood Luck!

I am beginning to believe you guys. Went to the Dealership who usually gives me great prices...and they tell me that the key can only be cut in two places in the USA.

Atlanta and somewhere else. But not here. Just the valet key was almost $200. So much for taking my wife out for dinner!

post-16847-1173973883_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Porsche has us owners over a barrel. I replaced a missing valet key years ago and it was not cheap back then.

My local dealer has the key cutting machine but the parts guys do not like to use it because they are afraid of screwing up a key blank. I ordered what Porsche calls a "stipulated" key. With my VIN Porsche can cut a duplicate key. Back then Porsche was based out of Reno as had a parts wearhouse there. My key was cut in Reno then sent to the dealership in San Jose. Now parts is in Ontario, California, and Atlanta. There is a third place but I forget where.

Your dealer wants you to buy a stipulated key. They either do not have the machine, or they just do not want to try, or something has changed since I replaced my missing key.

Then once you get your key head of choice the car computer needs to be programed to accept the key. Porsche gives the codes to the dealer, and will not give them directly to an independent shop. Indies have to go through a dealership to get the codes.

To code the key required a PST2 in the old days, which is now the PIWIS. Back then my dealer charged a flat fee of $50 to code a key.

Time to save up for the arm and a leg.

Click on the BMW video. http://zieh-fix.com/English/index-e.html

Where in Florida are you? I ordered the parts from Sunset and had the key cut and programed at Champion Porsche in Pompano Beach.

Daytona Beach.

I went to Orlando and got the oil filter, fuel filter etc... They gave me a good price. Or so i think.

I could go to Brumos in Jacksonville but the drive is horrible. Police everywhere.

Pompano Beach is i think a 3 hour drive. I will mapquest it.

Just did it.... 223 miles.....just under 2 hours driving i guess! Heh heh

Thanks for all the reply's.

Edited by seafeye