Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cam Sensor or Varicam ailment

Just got a Durametric scanner hooked to my recently acquired 2002 C4 Cab. Scan revealed code P1325 "Factory Fault code 178, Cam adjustment, bank 2, Signal implausible, below limit or above limit."

Other specifics are:

Car idles fine. Power comes on at 3500-4000 but I can't tell if it's making its rated HP (stepped out of a 600HP Vette into the Porsche). Anything feels weak after 600.

Fuel mileage is terrible (avg 13.8 @ 75% city / 25% hwy). This is why I got the Durametric. To check O-2 output, any other parameters.

Questions:

1) Is P1325 a catchall for any problems with the bank 2 sensor? Does it imply that the sensor or wiring is the issue? Or can it mean that there is a problem with the actual cam timing?

2) What side is bank 2? Driver or passenger? Is the bank 2 sensor on the front or back of the cylinder head (pretty sure it's near the intake cam on the front / back end of the motor, right?

3) Is it accesible to unplug and check the wiring, plug connection, input voltage, and signal output?

4) Is it accesible to replace the sensor without engine removal?

I really hate having one whole half of the engine "implausible" and hope someone can steer me toward corrective action and/or diagnosis.

• Admin

Potential problems are:

No triggering of the actuator, active position nevertheless.

– Short to ground

– Actuator faulty

Triggering of the actuator, no active position – Open circuit in triggering wire

– Open circuit in B+ supply

– Actuator faulty

No active or passive position is detected

– Actuator faulty

Check the wiring harness and connectors - if they are ok then it is likely the actuator.

Bank 2 is cylinders 4-5-6. In a Carrera that would be the right side (passenger side).

The engine does not need to come out - but it is not that easy to get to if you have big hands like me.

This sounds pretty much the problem I had recently which involved the solenoid for cam bank 2. Although there was a chance it could have been a sticky solenoid (which might have corrected itself) in the end it turned out to be a bit more than that. The cause of the problem was a corroded wire. Unfortunately the corrosion was at the point where it met with the solenoid housing so the only solution was to replace the solenoid (there was no possibility of repairing the damage to the wire/connection). Replacing the solenoid can be done without removing the engine but, as Loren intimated, it's a fiddle. However, somebody who's competent, understands the problem and has done it before (and has small hands!) will be able to accomplish the job.

Thanks guys. I was incorrectly thinking that this code was the sensoe, not the solenoid. Just got off the phone with my tech who says 02's had debris screens that corode and fill the Varicam vane actuators with crap. Say quite often it is this junk and not the solenoid. Worst case, $3500 since he'd change both solenoids and replace Varicam vane actuators if necessary (all with engine out since the rest of the job isn't really doable in car while maintaining cleanliness). He's going to try a solenoid replacement and we'll see if that cures it. Oh well, at least I got to drive the car for 1000 miles.