Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

15k service, what should I do?

I bought me '00 C4 used with 11,500 miles from a Porsche dealer. The car is certified. I now have about 17.5k miles. I understand that the brake fluid, oil and filters are all replaced as part of the certification process. Can anyone confirm this? If so, I now have about 6k miles of use on this oil change. Should I get a 15k service, with or without the oil change, or should I just wait until I get to 15k oil change interval? Can Porsche claim that lack of proper service voids the warranty? You know some Porsche dealers. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pat

Pat, see the link on this page above our posts which says "Carrera/GT3 Maintenance Checklists". That gives a lot of information.

I cannot confirm what is done as part of the certification process.

I now change my oil (and oil filter) every 10k miles, although Porsche recommends 15k miles. Also, I change my engine air filter and pollen air filter whenever they get dirty. It's pretty easy. There are do it yourself (DIY) links on the top of this page which show you how.

Porsche can definitely claim that lack of proper service/maintenance voids the warranty.

b-man

If you are mechanically competent, there is no reason you can't perform the service yourself. The DIY section on this site is very informative......almost idiot-proof! If you have doubts that remain after reading that section, many here are very willing to lend a hand.

The 15K service is an easy one; if I'm not mistaken its merely air / pollen filters, oil & filter, plus inspection all around. Regardless of what was alledgedly done prior to your delivery, wouldn't you feel better knowing with certainty your maintenance is totally current and done using approved components? Additionally, even using Mobil 1, I personally believe a 15K change interval is stretching things. Since you can DIY for $50 in parts + a leisurely 30 minutes of your time, I don't mind doing it more frequently to help protect my investment. Plus, I find it adds to the overall pride & enjoyment of owning a sports car like a Porsche.

As for future warranty concerns, log your efforts in the maintenance book and validate by keeping receipts for your materials. Your warranty booklet states there is no reason your warranty should be jeaopardized by you performing your own routine maintenance provided you follow this process, and can demonstrate sufficient mechanical aptitude.

As for those services being performed as part of the certification process, I was skeptical about it when I took delivery of my certified car @ 30K miles. Although they claimed & documented to have performed a 30K service prior to delivery, none of the filters, plugs & oil I repalaced looked as though they had they had a mere 1000 miles use when I started going through the car @ 31K miles. It doesn't matter now; I replaced everything myself, and now feel secure knowing for a fact that my car is current on its maintenance and have logbook notes & receipts for parts to prove it.

However, one item has come back to haunt me........a spongy clutch, which I initially attributed to needing a brake fluid change and bleeding (another aspect of routine maintenance), evolved into a warranty claim for a damaged slave cylinder bleeder seat. In good faith, I explained my situation and the documented troubleshooting & repair work I had performed, but I am currently being held responsible for a problem that I feel existed upon delivery. It took a great deal of effort to get a dealership to cover the repair and I am still awaiting the results of the repairs they finally agreed to.

Ultimately you are within your warranty rights to perform basic and routine maintenance, but admitting to such certainly made the service writer cringe and caused me great difficulty in getting a related claim covered. Depending on the complexity of the service you are performing, weighed against your mechanical ability (which may be questioned), and most importantly your dealer relationship, DIY work is something you have to make your own decision on.

Good luck-

Andrew