Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clutch Pedal

This might be unrelated, but yesterday I was having issues trying to get into all gears both to and from my destination. I went to work on car this morning and will not start.

Clutch pedal feels like it doesn't travel as far now too (maybe an inch) and I don't hear that switch sound at the end of travel of the clutch being depressed as before.

I checked brake/clutch fluid resivoir - OK

Shifter feels like it goes into all gears - while engine was off

I looked in the footwell for the switch that allows the engine to start and only saw one that it at the front of the pedal arm. the switch appears to be activated (depressed) when clutch is not engaged. I could not find any other switches.

2000 2.7 110K miles

Regards,

Will

<_<

just replied to you over on 986forum

I just read your post. I'm not asking about the ramifications of deactivating the switch. sorry if I wasn't clear. I can not find the switch (maybe I didn't state such in the post). There is 1 switch I found near the clutch arm. That switch is at the front and is depressed while the cluctch is not engaged.

I can not find a switch near the firewall that is only activated (depressed) when the clutch is pressed to the floor. Please advise. I am at wit's end!!!

:notworthy:

I think you have only be one switch if your Boxster does not have cruise control.

I don't have cruise....but my understanding is the switch is engaged when you press the clutch to the floor. I use to hear a switch sound as well (which I don't hear now).

1. Where is the switch exactly that allows the engine to start?

2. If my clutch pedal doesn't travel the same difference it use to what would be the cause.

BTW - I don't see any leaks

:help:

post-4819-1177796389_thumb.jpg

How did you rule out the switch?

Connect the two wires and try it...

No. I held the switch down...It cranked up.....what I did find was the the clutch pedal does not travel the entire distance now. It stops a centimeter (or so) short of the metal switch.

As i stated in my original post, it feels like the clutch does not go the entire distance that it used to.

Is there a problem with the clutch assembly or the hydraulic system. I looked under the rear of the car at the linkage at it appears to be normal for the shifter. I don't know what to look for when it comes to troubleshooting a clutch

Thoughts?

:help:

Edited by willcapp

You say the car cranks which rules out the clutch switch.

So does the car start or not?

I said the car cranked up...meaning it started. Sorry for not being clear. The switch is not the problem.

While the engine is running...

I can not get it into any gear. The clutch feels like it doesn't go the full distance like it use to. :cursing:

• Admin

Ok, much different problem.

The clutch is hydraulic so there would likely be little seen movement except back at the slave cylinder - and most of the moving parts are inside the transmission housing.

Any signs of visible leaks at the clutch master cylinder (near the pedals) or the clutch slave cylinder (on the transmission)?

Sounds like either the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder is bad.

Ok, much different problem.

The clutch is hydraulic so there would likely be little seen movement except back at the slave cylinder - and most of the moving parts are inside the transmission housing.

Any signs of visible leaks at the clutch master cylinder (near the pedals) or the clutch slave cylinder (on the transmission)?

Sounds like either the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder is bad.

Loren, thanks for the reply and staying with me on this issue. :notworthy:

There appears to be no leaks at the brake fluid resivoir or master cylinder. I'm not sure where to look exactly for the slave. I know it's located on or around the transmission, but I don't know what it looks like or where on the transmission it's located.

Pictures are a definite help.

Thanks again for the assistance. :thumbup:

Well, either the master or slave could be leaking internally.

The slave is high on the transmission and has a hydraulic hose going to it (also a bleed valve).

clutch.gif

I'll check it out now....

So i got the car jacked up and peered underneath. It appears that everything is normal. No leaks.

Is there anything specifically to look for or check for that would tell me (or a mechanic) if it is the slave and/or master? What would be the next step in troubleshooting be to determine root cause?

• Admin

Well you need to test master and slave cylinders for internal leaks.

If the slave cylinder is leaking, the outside of the casting will usually be wet with fluid and you will occasionally have to add fluid. If the master cylinder is leaking it will wet the inside of the firewall at the clutch pedal linkage.

Thanks Loren for your feedback.

By "testing" the master and slave cylinders you mean pressing the clutch in an out? right? I guess my concern is the travel of the clutch pedal has shortened. It almost appears as something is impeding it's travel.

In either case I guess it's not the master or slave cylinder because there are no leaks present. So I still don't know what the problem is. I really don't know what to look for next.

Edited by willcapp

• 3 weeks later...
It sounds like something has failed in the clutch/pressure plate area. Best get it towed into the dealer or good indie.

You are absolutely right. I have an Independent Porsche mechanic, so I took it to him....

Sure enough, the fork was busted, the clutch plate and flywheel were trashed. I paid $1640 cash for the repair with about $1000.00 in parts.

Great price for the work and now my clutch feels like a feather and it shifts almost magically.

Thanks everyone for your posts and assistance.

Regards,

Will

:clapping: