Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Footwell Lighting -- Operation and Wiring Diagram

Hello,

Looking for information on the footwell lighting circuit for either a 986 or a 996.

Would like to know if the factory-equipped switch activates the dome and/or door lights in addition to the footwell lights.

And, does anyone have a portion of the wiring diagram for either car that includes this circuit?

Thanks,

--Brian

Model Year? (it does make a difference)

Well, I have an '03 986S. But, I'd be interested in information for any year 986 or 996 if I couldn't get it for my specific model.

Thanks, Loren.

--Brian

(Loren, thanks again for your PM.)

Another question, or two, for anyone who can help. I searched the forums for info regarding the two relays in this circuit, finding Sandy's excellent posts here and here, plus a couple other ones that come close, but none that identify the actual PAG relays.

The latest PET for 986 and 996 do not seem to identify these relays; if they do, I am totally missing it. So, I have a couple shots below of my relay block, under the left side (US driver's) dash. There are two blank spots (coincidence, perhaps) on the left side of the block--what is supposed to go there? More to the point, does anyone with a relay block diagram (for an '03 986, or thereabouts) have any footwell lighting circuitry that can shed some light (pun intended) on the part numbers and physical location for these relays?

post-6002-1178593688_thumb.jpg

post-6002-1178593701_thumb.jpg

Sometimes I want to light up the interior, and everytime I do, it is only after fumbling for the small, unlit, and awkwardly-oriented thumb switch in the overhead light assembly. I want to press the more conveniently placed, backlit dash switch instead, and have it fire up all the ambient/orientation lighting--overhead, footwell, and doors. These relays seem to be the key to that. Thanks for any help.

--Brian

Those spots don't look empty....they look like they have shorting plugs in them. Empty relay sockets will have an actual hole. See my post in the DIY section regarding PSE wiring. When I installed that relay socket, the relay, and the wiring, I used one of the open "holes" on the relay carrier. If you remove the relay carrier, you'll see the shorting plugs have lots of similar-colored wires running to them. Things like speedometer output, grounds, and LED lighting share common shorting plugs. You definitely don't want to pop out one of the shorting plugs!

Did you get your footwell lighting issue sorted with the schematic? If not, I can take a look.

Those spots don't look empty....they look like they have shorting plugs in them. Empty relay sockets will have an actual hole. See my post in the DIY section regarding PSE wiring. When I installed that relay socket, the relay, and the wiring, I used one of the open "holes" on the relay carrier. If you remove the relay carrier, you'll see the shorting plugs have lots of similar-colored wires running to them. Things like speedometer output, grounds, and LED lighting share common shorting plugs. You definitely don't want to pop out one of the shorting plugs!

Did you get your footwell lighting issue sorted with the schematic? If not, I can take a look.

Thanks, Rodger.

So these spots (circled, below) have a shorting plug in them? There were some true blanks/holes in the relay block (that you can't see in any of my photos), so that makes sense to me now.

post-6002-1178817142.jpg

Still looking for the relay part numbers....

Thanks for your help.

--Brian