Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Best method to open the engine hatch?

I know it is covered in the owners manual, but before I attempt this I wanted to check if there was a better guide available?

This weekend we (our local club) is having a Concours Lite, actually more of a Wash and Shine and this got me working on the exterior but made me think of the engine compartment too! It won't be necessary to open the engine bay for this weekend but I would like to poke around there any way. :)

And on the same note, when an event like the upcoming Porsche Parade in San Diego is held, is there always a class for "Street" and "Wash and Shine"?

Thanks,

• 2 months later...

To access the engine compartment I have followed the manual instructions to the step to remove the Bose speaker box. It says to disconnect the speaker wires at the disconnect plug just outside and below the speaker box. On my car this connector is located INSIDE the speaker box and there is not enough slack in the speaker wires to provide room to get a look inside the box to view the connector in order to get it apart - and I am afraid if I am able to get it apart I will have problems getting it back together. Any ideas on how to proceed?

2007 Boxster S 6-speed, Carmon Red w/Cocoa top & leather

To access the engine compartment I have followed the manual instructions to the step to remove the Bose speaker box. It says to disconnect the speaker wires at the disconnect plug just outside and below the speaker box. On my car this connector is located INSIDE the speaker box and there is not enough slack in the speaker wires to provide room to get a look inside the box to view the connector in order to get it apart - and I am afraid if I am able to get it apart I will have problems getting it back together. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Indeed, the speaker connection for the Bose speaker box is a tight fit. The connection comes unlatched by depressing the plastic latch on each side of the connection. There is so little room in the speaker box trap door that I have to get one side unlatched at a time and then pull the connection apart (eassier said than done - I usually get skinned fingers from the left side of the trap door opening). This is all done by feel since it is out of sight. Likewise, reconnecting is done by feel. However, once the coneection is lined up it is easier to push the connection home that it was to get it unlatched. It is the most tedious portion of accesing the engine.

Indeed, the speaker connection for the Bose speaker box is a tight fit. The connection comes unlatched by depressing the plastic latch on each side of the connection. There is so little room in the speaker box trap door that I have to get one side unlatched at a time and then pull the connection apart (eassier said than done - I usually get skinned fingers from the left side of the trap door opening). This is all done by feel since it is out of sight. Likewise, reconnecting is done by feel. However, once the coneection is lined up it is easier to push the connection home that it was to get it unlatched. It is the most tedious portion of accesing the engine.

Fads,

Thanks for the info - I'll give it another try. You mention that the speaker box has a "trap door". There does not seem to be a trap door that I readily see on the box in my car. How do I locate this trap door? Thanks again.

The inspection cover is opened by pushing down on a plastic tab protruding underneath it. Because the whole unit is carpeted, its not easily noticed where it seperates but the first time you do it it becomes all too obvious.

Regards

Popolou

Edited by Popolou