Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

REAR CENTER CONSOLE

I'm considering ordering an alu-look or CF rear center console. My questions:

1. Is this a DIY project (I am reasonably handy)?

2. Do I need another person?

3. Do you have detailed instructions/photos?

4. Time frame?

Thanks,

Eric

• Admin

I have done a few of these and its pretty easy. You will only need a couple of tools (Torx drivers and screwdrivers). Much of it is the same process for installing a B&M Short Shifter and/or handbrake... so if you wanted to add one of these you can save some time by doing them all at the same time.

You will need to transfer the oddments tray (center glovebox) from the old console to the new one. Depending on the year of your car you could need the center console steel hinge upgrade kit. (Older cars had plastic hinges that have now been replaced with steel hinges).

Tell me what year your car is (so I know whether to send the hinge TSB) and I'll send you the other info.

• Moderators

It is so easy Aileen can do it blindfolded. We shot 4 videos of the console removal when we did B&M shift installs. Aileen removed the console in 3 of the installs, 2 of which were on 996s.

The only trick is that 2 of the 7 screws for the console are hidden. One is under the plastic floor plate in the storage box and the other under the coin holder. Jeff

B_M_at_Henry_6_8_025.sized.jpg

Where swapping consoles differs from simply putting in a short shifter is transferring all the clips, hinges, nuts, rear lid, rear console etc...etc.

I didn't find any good references on-line and so sat down and patiently went through the thing using my new console as to a reference where a screw or clip was and I didn't bother taking the shift knob off but did take the front lower console off for convenience.

It took me 3 hours but I had a headache and wasn't rushing and just sat there patiently going through it. I had a new console with the plastic bin hinge so had to dremel that off because I had the metal hinge so that took a bit of time.

As long as you have a good set of TORX bits and I highly recommend an angled/wratcheting torx driver...and you are halfway handy, it's not "difficult" at all but there are lots of little bits involved including taking the buttons out etc...etc.

Go for it.

Jeff & Pete,

Thanks for the tips. I ordered an aluminum look console today and should have it next week.

Loren sent me a PDF of the removal/install instructions. The instructions show removing the lower console including the CD holder/storage bin. Pete, in your reply you say you removed if for "convenience." Jeff, your picture shows you only removed the side panels. Is it necessary to remove the entire console? I'd certainly prefer not to since several of the pieces are held by clips and they have a tendency to break!

I'm definitely going to buy the right tools before attempting the project.

Thanks,

Eric

4 Pete.  You must be the Audi guy when Peter Smith posted on that board.  He told me some tales.

pete3.sized.jpg

Acutally, Pete Smith is a guy who we race with. They were our main competitor a couple of years ago when we ran Civic vs 944 in E1.

Can only imagine what he'd tell you, that guy is a real card. It's dangerous being at the track with him because you'll arrive only to find the steering wheel missing!

We took one of his helmets once when he wasn't looking hehehehe.

• Moderators

Pete took out more suff then you need to. You do need to remove the batwing so you can tilt the console to get it out of the car. The batwing just pulls out with your fingers but you need to grab it from behind. 2 ways to get your fingers behind it. Remove the 2 side panels like in my first picture and you can get your fingers on each side of the batwing and pull it off. That is how we did it on Colm's car for the video.

On Chad's car for the video we did it the other way. Remove the cd holder/storage bins above the batwing then you can get your fingers behind the top of the batwing. You can see in this pic that the side panels are still on. If you have DSP or the a/c display above the batwing then you have to do it the first way.

B_M_at_Henry_6_8_005.sized.jpg

Jeff,

Thanks again. I just wanted to confirm that I ONLY need to remove the batwing and the side panels of the lower center console and NOT the storage tray and CD holder? The fewer parts the better!

Thanks,

Eric