Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ipod connection Cable/ AUX input cable for BECKER CDR 220

I have not tried it yet, but my understanding is that the following cable (with a separate noise filter spliced in) will charge the iPod and play music. The power can be spliced from the phone connector.

http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopexd.asp?id=616&bc=no

So if I understand this correctly, this device will allow me to hook my iPhone 3G up to my 2002 Carrera 4S with a CDR 220, giving me power and the iPod connection in a single plug?

If that is correct, then will I see iPod data on the screen, and will I be able to control the iPod with the controls on the CDR 220?

If this all works, I may have to buy one!

Someone needs to actually try this because our radios are Becker not Blaupunkt.

Maybe I'll give them a call and see what they have to say about it. If the cable isn't too expensive, I'm willing to give it a try...

Actually I just saw that it is only $33.90.

• 4 weeks later...
FYI:

The way the 3G iPhone and 2G iTouch charge their batteries is different from the older iPods, and most of the earlier AUX cables will not charge these devices.

The older iPods charged via the Firewire connection lines, and the newer 3G iPhone/iTouch only use USB connections lines.

There is an adapter available from Scosche that will fix this situation.

i just got mine in and there is a ton of engine noise. When i take it off, there isn't any noise.......

FYI:

The way the 3G iPhone and 2G iTouch charge their batteries is different from the older iPods, and most of the earlier AUX cables will not charge these devices.

The older iPods charged via the Firewire connection lines, and the newer 3G iPhone/iTouch only use USB connections lines.

i just got mine in and there is a ton of engine noise. When i take it off, there isn't any noise.......

Are you sure you have a proper ground connection. I had the same issue but after securing the ground better it sounds clear as a bell.

FYI:

Are you sure you have a proper ground connection. I had the same issue but after securing the ground better it sounds clear as a bell.

i will check once i get the car off jackstands

• 1 month later...

Becker is now selling a a BAS ipod cable for the CDR 220.

This cable is the simplest solution for CDR 220 units since it allows a ipod dock connection and charging of the ipod.

Still awaiting pricing/shipping costs

Thanks

Link

http://www.beckerautosound.com/Ipod%20cable%20list.html

$64.99 plus $10 - $15 for shipping and handling.

Becker Autosound

www.beckerautosound.com

Parts Department

201-773-0978

]

Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:13 AM

To: parts@beckerautosound.com

Subject: Price on Bas Ipod cable

Hi

Please advise on price /shipping on BAS IPOD cable for Cdr 220

Thanks

Edited by tagger

• Moderators
Becker is now selling a a BAS ipod cable for the CDR 220.

This cable is the simplest solution for CDR 220 units since it allows a ipod dock connection and charging of the ipod.

Still awaiting pricing/shipping costs

Tanks

Link

http://www.beckerautosound.com/Ipod%20cable%20list.html

This Becker cable does not work with the iTouch or iPhone.

The solution that I have found that works with the CDR 220 and Traffic Pro is from BlitzSafe. You still need the BAS - 1319 - 116 Telephone/Aux-In cable from Becker, but you get full compatibility with the entire iPod/iTouch/iPhone prodict line.

iUI.jpg

The skinny to all this is Blaupunkt and Becker have similar connections, but their pins for their AUX ports are different. The pin layout is different as well as what each pin does. If you simply plug a cable wired for Blaupunkt into a Becker unit you risk frying your iPod.

Regarding differences between iPod and iPhone. Apple has made some serious design changes to the underlying circuitry in the latest iPhones and iPod. The latest versions charge off a 5 volt USB circuit instead of the 12 volt Firewire circuit used in earlier model iPods. For car audio purposes this complicates things because the automotive electrical system is all setup around 12 volt circuitry. Add to this the fact that Apple has included certain requirements for line-out functionality on iPhones (i.e. that annoying "not approved for iPhone use" error) that needs to be adjusted for.

Getting a single cable to accommodate the limited Becker AUX port design, step down the voltage to from 12 to 5 volts, AND trick the iPhone into thinking it is connected to a USB data cable isn't easy. Even if this is all done, the iPhone will need to be in Airplane Mode while plugged in or you will have HORRIBLE feedback playing through your speakers from the data signals that it broadcasts.

It is a tricky problem. I'm working a little with a contact in Apple to find a quick solution to all this, but it isn't easy. In the meantime take a look over in the Special Offers section for details regarding a single cable that allows older iPods to play and charge through the Porsche CR/CDR-220 system.

Sincerely,

-Jeremy

• Moderators
Regarding differences between iPod and iPhone. Apple has made some serious design changes to the underlying circuitry in the latest iPhones and iPod. The latest versions charge off a 5 volt USB circuit instead of the 12 volt Firewire circuit used in earlier model iPods. For car audio purposes this complicates things because the automotive electrical system is all setup around 12 volt circuitry. Add to this the fact that Apple has included certain requirements for line-out functionality on iPhones (i.e. that annoying "not approved for iPhone use" error) that needs to be adjusted for.

Getting a single cable to accommodate the limited Becker AUX port design, step down the voltage to from 12 to 5 volts, AND trick the iPhone into thinking it is connected to a USB data cable isn't easy. Even if this is all done, the iPhone will need to be in Airplane Mode while plugged in or you will have HORRIBLE feedback playing through your speakers from the data signals that it broadcasts.

Yes, iPod, iTouch, and iPhone now use the USB 5v line exclusively for power, (prior to the iTouch, iPods had both Firewire and USB power-in leads) but they are on different traces, so plugging in a USB compliant player into a Firewire source won't cause any issues, the device simply won't get any power from the firewire cable. The audio out will probably work, but that is it.

Your second point about finding a device to work with the Becker Aux-in is the what I wrote about. The combination of the Becker BAS - 1319 - 116 Telephone/Aux-In cable and the Blitzsafe iPod/iTouch/iPhone universal interface solves all of this. And no, you do not have to be in airplane mode to make this work. There is no interference whatsoever.

I have this rig in my 996 with a Traffic Pro, and it works perfectly. Getting a single cable to accommodate the limited Becker AUX port design, step down the voltage to from 12 to 5 volts, AND trick the iPhone into thinking it is connected to a USB data cable is child's play. The Blitzsafe solution is a perfect example of this.

If you already have a firewire power adapter connected to your Becker, you can also purchase a Firewire to USB inline adapter from Scoche. This little adapter will allow you to continue to charge and power your USB iTouch/iPod/iPhone device in your Firewire rig.

1667.12962.600x400.IFWA.jpg

If we had been discussing this issue 6 months ago, there were not many solutions out there, but today, the market has caught up, and there are plenty of solutions to be had.

• 2 months later...

Thanks!

iporshe?

Howzit,

Keep in mind I bought a Solisto Extra for my Nav PSM1 headunit...they make also make one for a 220 and/or many other Porsche OEM radios. Here are a couple of pics so you see what I am talking about. I'll add more when I have more time. Basically you should checkout the website URL I posted earlier.

BTY: I installed mine in the fornt boot in the same location as the CD changer with the cable pictured. You can also purchase a cable that connects directly to the head unit, then run the line and install the box in your armrest, then attach your iPod... Again, it's very easy!!!

I paid 99 Euro for the Solisto Extra and 14.99 Euro for the cable. This is a special holiday price.

Good luck! Let me know if you need anything else.

Aloha, 808C4

• 1 year later...

Another alternative is to buy the cable supplied by Porsche owner Euclid. See link below.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automot...n-iporsche.html

I currently use the Becker cable but Oggie recommend another one from Euclid. I cannot seem to get the correct link to that post. It says I don't have permission. Please help! I have terrible ground noise so I want to use your recommendation. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an iPod Touch 4G connected to my Becker 220, using a cable from Becker Sound. It's a single cable which also charges the iPod. The sound is excellent - no distortion or interference of any kind. I was surprised at the $110 price tag, but I believe this is the only option available (for 4G) and it works great. I highly recommend it.

Edited by wyovino

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Becker CDR220 as well and an iPod Touch 4g. I went with the Becker Sound cable and am very pleased with the results. It's one wire, not a bundle of RCA plugs. It charges the unit as well. Most other solutions will not work with 4G as the electrical requirements are different.

The Blitzsafe link mentions iPod Touch and iPhone, but doesn't specifically mention 4g. I would bet that it won't work with 4g.

Edited by wyovino

• Moderators

I have the Becker CDR220 as well and an iPod Touch 4g. I went with the Becker Sound cable and am very pleased with the results. It's one wire, not a bundle of RCA plugs. It charges the unit as well. Most other solutions will not work with 4G as the electrical requirements are different.

The Blitzsafe link mentions iPod Touch and iPhone, but doesn't specifically mention 4g. I would bet that it won't work with 4g.

I have this rig, and use it on my iPhone 4 just fine.