Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

If your engine runs hot - check this

Folks, I just got my car back from its annual service. 1999 Carrera 3.4 6 speed with 56K miles on the clock .One of the comments I made to the service folks what that car ran hotter in the last few weeks than it was the case previously. Sitting the traffic here in the Bay area would show a needle just on the right side of the 0 (of the 180 numbers) on the gauge. Fans worked fine, temperature would go back to normal at highway speed.

Turned out to be a clogged or gummed up valve which sits on top of the expansion bottle. It had to be replaced, about 40 bucks or so but car now has normal indications again. Just something to keep in mind to check if your temps read high.

FYI I drove about 8K miles in the last year, added 1/2 pint for oil in total. Oil still looked like honey . I am getting 20.5 miles per gallon ( over the last 6 k miles) in spirited driving part highway and part city. Still have 60% of brake pads left since new.

Folks, I just got my car back from its annual service. 1999 Carrera 3.4 6 speed with 56K miles on the clock .One of the comments I made to the service folks what that car ran hotter in the last few weeks than it was the case previously. Sitting the traffic here in the Bay area would show a needle just on the right side of the 0 (of the 180 numbers) on the gauge. Fans worked fine, temperature would go back to normal at highway speed.

Turned out to be a clogged or gummed up valve which sits on top of the expansion bottle. It had to be replaced, about 40 bucks or so but car now has normal indications again. Just something to keep in mind to check if your temps read high.

FYI I drove about 8K miles in the last year, added 1/2 pint for oil in total. Oil still looked like honey . I am getting 20.5 miles per gallon ( over the last 6 k miles) in spirited driving part highway and part city. Still have 60% of brake pads left since new.

Nice that you replaced the valve but it will play absolutely no part in reducing your coolant temperatures. Airflow increase is the only way to reduce the temperature.

well, the valve misfunction resulted in some coolant being pumped overboard... I also have to believe that it changes the pressure. Maybe that also contributes to the change of coolant temp. Sofar the temps are down to where they used to be before..

well, the valve misfunction resulted in some coolant being pumped overboard... I also have to believe that it changes the pressure. Maybe that also contributes to the change of coolant temp. Sofar the temps are down to where they used to be before..

What should the temp be in a typical situation? Mine also sits to the right of 180.

Hey there,

My '99 C4 temp needle also sits to the right of 180! Did you replace the valve yourself?

Typically, with the needle to the right of the "0", your coolant is sitting at 215F+.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what does that mean exactly?

It means that your coolant temperature is 215F+ when the gauge is sitting just to the right side of the "0" in 180.

Factory spec is 90-95 C

vizcarra44

I do not know more about it except the fac t that it now stays between the 8 and ther 0 on the gauge ... and that's where I like it to be.

I did hear however that some manufacturers's temp gauge is very little more than an idiot light and that the needle only moves when it is pretty well going into the red. I heard that manufacturers do not want their cars to be brought back to the dealership just because the needle is pointing "a bit" to the hot / overheating mark on the gauge. I can see their point :-)