Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rough idle after opening oil filler cap with motor running

When I started my car to go to work this morning I noticed it was time to add some oil. I backed out of the garage, popped the rear deck and opened the oil filler cap. I noticed immediately the idle changed but assumed it was just because of the vacuum difference and it would be OK once I finished adding the oil and replaced the lid. However, the idle quality was very rough even after replacing the oil cap. I could hardly get my car to back down the driveway. Once I got it going on the highway it purred just like a kitten (as much as a 996 can purr with bypass pipes) but when I would come to a stop it would idle high around 1600 RPM and slow drop to around 1000 which is about right but it still felt like it had a miss. When I started the car to leave work this afternoon, again the car would hardly idle and eventually died once. I was able to restart it and rev it a little (even this was hard to do) and get going but not sure what's going on. Should I disconnect the battery cable and let the computer relearn its settings or just leave it. Is it wrong to take off the oil filler cap while the engine is running? Thanks.

• Admin

You should not remove the oil cap with the engine running. The oil vapor system is part of the US emissions requirement.

Your car may come back to normal after a few drive cycles or you can force it to re-learn by disconnecting the battery for a short time. Keep your radio handy if you decide to disconnect the battery.

You should not remove the oil cap with the engine running. The oil vapor system is part of the US emissions requirement.

Your car may come back to normal after a few drive cycles or you can force it to re-learn by disconnecting the battery for a short time. Keep your radio handy if you decide to disconnect the battery.

Thanks for the reply Loren. I'll give it a couple of days.

Does this also apply to 986s'?

• Admin

Does this also apply to 986s'?

Yes.