Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Door rattles

I've had this '01 Boxter for a few weeks. There are substantial rattles in the drivers door between the inside door handle area and the top rear corner. Banging on the inside door handle or upper door interior with the heel of the hand, road bumps, and sound system bass rattle the heck out of it. I know I have to pull the door panel off to find/fix the problem, but I'm wondering if this sounds familiar to any owners and if any specifc advice is available for panel removal or what may be the rattle culprit.

Thanks much. You guys have been a godsend since I adopter this car.

Bob

I've had this '01 Boxter for a few weeks. There are substantial rattles in the drivers door between the inside door handle area and the top rear corner. Banging on the inside door handle or upper door interior with the heel of the hand, road bumps, and sound system bass rattle the heck out of it. I know I have to pull the door panel off to find/fix the problem, but I'm wondering if this sounds familiar to any owners and if any specifc advice is available for panel removal or what may be the rattle culprit.

Thanks much. You guys have been a godsend since I adopter this car.

Bob

You may want to check if it's coming from the door latch. Wrap some electrical tape around the loop and see if the problem goes away. If it does, look to see where the tape is getting worn (top or bottom) and adjust the position of loop and see if that eliminates the problem. This is a good first step as it doesn't require any door surgery.

I just took my doors apart this weekend. Had to replace the storage compartment lid in the driver's door and fix a rattle in the passenger door. I think my rattle was due to the aftermarket speaker box that was built when I upgraded to 6.5" woofers so that isn't your issue, but I did notice that the cables that are in the door have potential to swing around a little and can hit parts that will cause a rattle. The door latch cable is a possible culprit. It hangs in the area you mentioned and has enough slack that it can bounce around. It's also a heavy enough cablethat you would hear it. The door is pretty hollow inside so there's little to hold it in place. I also noticed (on my passenger door) that the light bulb in the interior door light was not set correctly and could also have been causing a rattle. I'm not sure of that one because this is the door with the speaker enclosure I had to fix, but either way my rattle is now gone.

You can find instructions for taking the door apart on here somewhere. I had a set that someone had posted in a write-up about replacing all the speakers during a stereo upgrade. It's easy. The 2nd door took me no more than 10 miutes to take apart. There are little plastic hooks on a couple pieces that are dificult to get out without breaking. I did break one, but it turned out that the same hook was already broken on the other doo and it never caused a problem that I noticed so I'm not concerned about it. Once you get the trim pieces off the interior there are 9 plastic pins that attach the interior panel to the door. These are standard cheap parts so if you want to be safe you can probably buy a pack of them at some parts store and have them onhand just in case.

• 7 months later...
i'm having this same problem... i guess i gotta dig into the door :(

Be sure to search out the mentioned instructions. It's not completely logical. I did it several months ago and taped down anything that could rattle. Also found the speaker box very loose.

Bob