Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Remus Muffler, what are your thoughts?

Guest zaitster
Looks like something I'd make in my garage after a few beers...only not as good (and that's not a compliment).

...I want proof:D

Austrian made, for the ignorants.

They also make the systems for Gemballa, ACS, Brabus and more.

Edited by zaitster

Looks like something I'd make in my garage after a few beers...only not as good (and that's not a compliment).

Thats what I thought although a little pricy.

What do you think of this:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-04-Porsc...29043QQtcZphoto?

for less than half the price?

Guest zaitster

I hear drone in low rpm!

I've never heard of MaxSpeed, any info about the company?

Edit: Just looked at their website. Looks O.K. I guess.

After a better look at the exhaust, build quality seems a tad off, personally I'd stay with reputated brands, fabspeed, remus, maxspeed? take a bet...

Edited by zaitster

Hi all,

My thoughts !

I purchased a 2000 boxster S, 6sp manual, in 2005. It had 25,000km on the clock and it now has 65,000km on the clock.

For years I had wished I could one day own a porsche and now i do. This car is fantastic to drive fast or slow. I drive it every day to and from work and every time I look in the side mirrors I remember I am driving A German designed and manufactured Super Car. And that is what it is like to drive the Boxster S.

The boxster and Boxster S saved Porsche! That is a fact.

If you want to treat it like a hot rod or a car that you need to change into something that sounds different or better, then you should have bought something else!!!!!!! (my thoughts only)

Leave it as it is!

If you have money to burn, buy a V8 clunker that makes a heap of noise and drives like it sounds.

Stew

Guest zaitster

....while I understand your point some may think the sound produced by the Boxter is weak and needs help.

Edited by zaitster

What do you think of this:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-04-Porsc...29043QQtcZphoto?

I have one of these. It is a sweet sounding exhaust, and very light, but a little loud for my tastes. I want to modify my stock muffler like a PSE.

Edited by Andy_M

I have one of these. It is a sweet sounding exhaust, and very light, but a little loud for my tastes. I want to modify my stock muffler like a PSE.

Great! Did you find any annoying cabin drone? Were there any resonance in lower rpm range? From what I have read when you modify stock muffler like PSE it will sound like open valve full time, over 100db. and that's very loud.

Edited by panameras

Great! Did you find any annoying cabin drone? Were there any resonance in lower rpm range? From what I have read when you modify stock muffler like PSE it will sound like open valve full time, over 100db. and that's very loud.

Yes, a bit. ALL aftermarket Boxster exhausts have some resonance from what I have been able to determine. This exhaust produces some resonance from about 2200 to 2600 rpm, which I can stay away from most of the time, but that rpm range is right about at 55 to 60 mph in 5th gear. Also, if you try and roll the throttle on at low rpms, but you shouldn't be doing this anyway. Shift down and the resonance stops. It really doesn't bother me at all when I have the top down, but it does bug me a little when I have to ride with the top up, especially in slow but not stop and go traffic....but then I usually just turn up the tunes :-)

ON THE OTHER HAND.....it sounds sooooooooooo sweet when I put my foot in it, even a little, that I really debate with myself about taking it back off. It definately DOES announce it's entrance and departure now. :thumbup: So far the gearhead inside me always wins out, and it is still on there...... :P

It is WAY lighter than the stock unit. I do not notice any difference in the lateral handling of the rear, but I do notice that I can break the tires lose much easier than I could before (not necessarily a good thing at the cost of these tires).

P.S.....I have been told, by a reputable Porsche mechanic, that if you were to remove the islation mount from a stock muffler and mount it solid as all the aftermarket mufflers mount, that it would introduce some resonance as well. I have been thinking about trying to adapt the stock isolator bar to my aftermarket exhaust to see if it cuts down on the resonance any.

Edited by Andy_M

P.S.....I have been told, by a reputable Porsche mechanic, that if you were to remove the islation mount from a stock muffler and mount it solid as all the aftermarket mufflers mount, that it would introduce some resonance as well. I have been thinking about trying to adapt the stock isolator bar to my aftermarket exhaust to see if it cuts down on the resonance any.

I doubt that would help much. GHL's mount using the stock isolator bar, and they still resonate. Ditto, the B&B exhausts. Also, the factory mufflers on the 97-99 boxsters were mounted solid, as they didn't introduce the vibration isolator mount until model year 2000, but even then, the early OEM mufflers didn't noticeably resonate. I think at the end of the day, it's the muffler interior design that determines the amount of resonance you get.

Edited by Boxtaboy

I doubt that would help much. GHL's mount using the stock isolator bar, and they still resonate. Ditto, the B&B exhausts. Also, the factory mufflers on the 97-99 boxsters were mounted solid, as they didn't introduce the vibration isolator mount until model year 2000, but even then, the early OEM mufflers didn't noticeably resonate. I think at the end of the day, it's the muffler interior design that determines the amount of resonance you get.

I haven't cut one of these open, but I'm betting it is just 2 big open chambers. Another thought that has gone through my mind is that placing crossflow tube between the two chambers might kill some of the resonance also.