Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Newbie w/pre purchase questions

DC740IL

I'm a Newbie here on RENNTECH and just decided to sell my 740IL, but not until I get the full skinny on what year 911 I should buy. I just love the 1965-1989 body style! I have done my research and it looks like I should go with a none-turbo 1987-1989 (This is the body style I want but with the turbo look). I would ultimately like to get a cabriolet. I have read it is better to go with the 87-89 models because of the improved transmission, hydraulic clutch, and belt tensioners? This car would be my daily driver. Is this a smart idea? I'm pretty good at "turning wrenches" so I can deal with most of the mechanical stuff. Are they expensive to fix and are parts hard to come by? What type of maintenance do these cars require and can they be driven daily? Is the 3.2 quick in the cabriolet? What should I look for when purchasing a 911 and what price range should I be looking at? Can the 3.2 be "souped up" to run with vettes?

Thanks,

(I was recommended to this site form bimmerboard.com, great site for you Bimmer owners)

Edited by DC740IL

good years you have chosen. the turbo look is nice because you get the wide body and the big brakes. the 88s had a valve guide issue but those should all be fixed by now.

you can chip the control unit but stock is a pretty nice package. it is not a vette killer but in the long run it will out last the vettes.

I don't mean to be insulting, but if you are not an experienced Porsche guy make sure you get help from an expert with a PPI. There are a lot of potentially verrry expensive pitfalls. Excellence magazine does an excellent job reporting used car sales/values. Bruce Anderson does the reporting, and his great advice is to "buy the best car you can afford."

There is also a book on buying used 911s whose title/author (maybe Bruce) escape me right now. Someone on this board will have it handy.

Good luck! Enjoy the hunt, but do your research carefully.

• 1 month later...

I am also in the hunt and plan to pick somethng up in the spring. I want to research over the winter and become more acclomated with the Porsche's (former BMW guy).

What should one look for? What years when your budget is @ 15-25k? I want a good model coupe. Prefer carrera stye and like the whale tale and wider fenders.

What models? What engines and years are best?

What are the things to look for?

Anyone hve info on that book recommended?

Doug

I Have a 1987 coupe that I absolutley love but I am now getting ready to part with. I have had the car

for seven years and it has proven to be very reliable. When I first purchased the car it had 68,000 miles on

it. I replaced the original clutch, wire harness, all hoses & belts, alternator and battery. I also did the vavle service

Modification wise I removed the cat, added a header system, stainelss exhaust, mass air system with chip. The car produces over 300hp and flies. It gets nods where ever I go.

• 3 months later...

Peter Zimerman has a book "The Used 911 Story", that everyone seems to recommend... Haven't read it myself so I can't say for sure, but I'd look into it.. Everyone has their own preference with respect to year and model, but your budget should get you something really nice.... put some aside for unexpected repairs and mods your going to want to make. A good PPI is the only way to go when you find the car you want