Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Sirius satellite radio questions/clarifications

Alright, go easy on me as it's my first post, and I've read the 24 or so results from searching this topic, but I'm still a little confused.

I'm looking to install sirius into my 2002 911 with the bose package /w the 6cd changer, and not quite sure about a few things.

1) a)Do I have a second aux slot on the back of my head unit that I can buy one of these becker or blaupunkt aux-in cables for and plug sirius or an ipod directly into?

b)If I actually have to plug into the cd changer wires instead, couldn't I use some sort of remote switch/splitter so that I could go back and forth from the sirius unit sound to the cd changer itself?

2) a)On my bmw 325 with the harman kardon package, I was able to just buy this discrete little "brain" and antenna, and install in the back right along-side the existing cd-changer, and the sirius text displays right on my stock head unit, and is controlled by the stock deck itself. Is it really possible that no one has made something like this? The deck obviously has the ability to do it, since it can control the changer, and with RDS functionality, any new'ish headunit could display the text for the song title and band.

b)If I truly do need to use the stupid looking sirius module, where do people generally install them...in the little pocket in the dash?

Thanks all.

Jonas

I do not think there is a Sirus Box compatable with the Porsche Head unit (could be wrong, keep searching)

For my Sirius installation I bought the Blaupunkt cable, and mounted a Stilleto car dock. I didnt go the route of keeping the cd changer, I suppose it would be possible to switch back and forth with either a multi pole switch or a relay.

Larry

Thanks for the advice LFE, I went to bestbuy today and bought the stiletto sirius unit and car kit...the thing is freaking awesome. The thing even has WIFI, I had no idea. Now I can use it even in my garage with no skyview, as I still get wireless access there. Amazing.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the advice LFE, I went to bestbuy today and bought the stiletto sirius unit and car kit...the thing is freaking awesome. The thing even has WIFI, I had no idea. Now I can use it even in my garage with no skyview, as I still get wireless access there. Amazing.

I am about to install a Sirrius Radio in my '02 996. Where did you mount the Stiletto? I have the Bose cr220 radio, which apparently doen't have an auxilary input. I don't want to use the Fm modulation, because the sound usually is bad. Did you find a better way to hook it up?

I am about to install a Sirrius Radio in my '02 996. Where did you mount the Stiletto? I have the Bose cr220 radio, which apparently doen't have an auxilary input. I don't want to use the Fm modulation, because the sound usually is bad. Did you find a better way to hook it up?

at my shop we have found several ways to install XM or sirius into the car. you can email me for some pictures. but we use either your empty pocket below the stereo, or remove your CD tray and FLUSH in the control unit for XM or sirius. yes, it is FM modulated, but we do a WIRED FM modulation so that sound quality lost is so minimal, you would not know there was a loss. at my shop, BIG, ugly pieces hanging off the side of the console are not cool with 90% of my customers, and since we have been in business for over 20 years, my customers expect only the best. email me at Jaudio@pacbell.net for some pics and we can talk about what you would like or, just for you to get an idea of what a knowledgable installer can do.