Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Car Bra 99/996 2 Piece

I've had the Porsche version and wasn't to thrilled with the fit on my Boxster so I went with Colgan and they were OK but not that great either. So on my C4S, I had installed a clear bra and that's one of the best thing anyone can do. I don't have one paint chip thanks to it and have 11K miles on the car.

My 03 wears a bra all the time (and the mirror bras too). So no paint chips on the bumper or leading edge of the hood or mirrors. That being said, you have to be careful of a few things..

1. You've probably seen warnings not to leave the bra on after its become wet eg, rain - the paint underneath will cloud. I have personal experieince with this year's ago and can tell you it's the truth.

2. You may get some rubbing type scratches on the top of the fenders; you may not, worse on dark colors. Minor and they can be rubbed out from what I've experienced

Otherwise, it works for me. SOme folks only use them on long trips, not around towm. I'm anal, so it's always on.

Thanks for the info. is there a website that shows details of the clear bra, I haven't seen them in Australia. Once installed is it always on or can it be removed.

Bob, thanks for your input, I have a one piece bra which works Ok but you must remove it to get to the luggage. Is yours a Colgan from Pelican, if so how does the lower section attach around the luggage compartment. My car is ocean blue, shows marks very easily but so far its been ok with the bra, I always apply plenty of wax before I fit it.

I used to put the "Black Bra" on my old cars, but I am sick and tired of those "Ugly" things. I now have the 3M "Clear Bra" installed on my C4S(including Headlights and side mirrors). Those traditional bra won't cover your headlights. I believe it is a good investment on your P-car if you can find it in Australia. Could it be the reason that they are "invisible" so you won't even notice it?

Here are some pics while the "Clear Bra" was installing. I got the same installers referred by Kirby.

ClearBra_install_hood_1.jpg

ClearBra_install_headlights.jpg

ClearBra_after_install_3.jpg

Your post arrived just in time, I had ordered a 2 pc bra but didn't realise that the lights were not covered until I read your message, you cant tell from the website photo. The locally made one I have has clear plastic panels that cover the lights and indicator lights. Without the plastic there must be a lot of dirt etc. that can get under the bra at that point.

post-2-1080693587_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I am fan of Speed Lingerie Bras and Mirror Booties.

I have had a set on my 996 cab for over 2 years with great results. Their bras are hand made to order and are available in the color of your car.

Here are some pictures of the car and Bra

You can also see some pictures in the Garage.

Sure using a bra is more work in keeping it clean, and they need to be removed as soon as possible after driving in the rain, but a well designed bra is superior to the "Stoneguard" films that are available. A bra will take the impact of a stone or debris without leaving any marks on the body. A well designed bra will not rub the paint or damage it in any way. A good bra will also take the impact of scraping the lower bumper lip without any damage to the paint or bumper. I leave my bra on most of the time, and have never had any problems. After a long drive or trip, I take it off, clean it out, and put it back on.

On the other hand, while not trying to bash Stone Guard films, I have yet to see any film application that does not look ratty after a year or 2. Especially if the car has been driven a lot. All of the films get dirt and dust under the edges of the film, and end up getting a grey shadow around the edges. This is especially noticeable on light color cars, and you cannot get it out. On dark cars, it is wax shadow that they get. Plus as the film takes rock impacts it can tear, and big impacts will hurt the finish regardless.

So that is my 2¢ worth. Use a quality bra if you really want to protect the front of your car and don't mind a little work, or use film if you want to protect the front of your car, and don't mind that it will look dirty all of the time. Cost wise, both solutions cost about the same.

Thanks for the info. on Speedlingerie, I have been talking to them but unfortunately they dont do one that covers the lights and the fenders. I agree though that they are the best looking of what I have seen. I will stick with my Aussie bra for now. I have used it for 4 years and I have had no damage. The one trip I did without it I got sprayed and the chips are [you guessed it] on top of the fenders.