Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant Questions

• Moderators

Here is some info I got in 2002. On a hot day my needle is about where yours is.

Elf makes the coolant sold by the Porsche dealer. In the one liter bottles for a lot of money. Elf is a large petroleum/chemical company in Europe. I have been trying for find the equivalent sold at a parts place, such as Kragens AutoZone, Pep Boys. It has to be a standard long life coolant - nothing special.

In 1998 Elf and Texaco entered into a joint venture for the sale of coolant in Europe - under the name Arteco. Then Chevron and Texaco merged. So I contact Chevron/Texaco and they contact Europe. This is the email I received.

Subject:

RE: Coolant for Porsche Boxster

Date:

Mon, 21 Oct 2002 06:07:47 -0700

"Dusing, William N"

To:

"'Jeff Lopez'"

Jeff,

The ChevronTexaco products in the US that meet the performance requirements of Porsche, but not yet approved are as follows:

Havoline® DEX-COOL® Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant

Chevron DEX-COOL® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Bill

When I was at Sebring on Jan 3rd, a guy with a Boxster had a boil over, he mixed another coolant with Porsche coolant. I didn't think it would make much of a difference and neither did he. I thought that Porsche coolant would be the same as any other just with a Porsche label on it, but apparently there are slight differences.

What Bill said will work, both Havoline and Chevron make good stuff, and they say it meets the performance requirements, it should work fine.

As far as the guy at Sebring that had the boil over, he flushed and replaced all the coolant with the Porsche stuff.

I think if you flush all the coolant out and replace it with the Havoline or Chevron stuff that Bill recommends you'll be fine, but it's probably not a good idea to mix any two coolant brands together, although for street only driving it probably doesn't matter.

Tom

it's probably not a good idea to mix any two coolant brands together, although for street only driving it probably doesn't matter.

The issue with mixing different types of coolants is the compatibility of the corrosion inhibitors, which does matters for street driving.

Cheers

Uwe