Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

GT3 and RS differences - The Definitive RennTech List

lbp

I've seen many articles from well-known sources comparing the GT3 and RS variants. The press seems to have some of it right (sometimes wrong too) but none appear to be complete.

I realize that much of this is covered in the Docs post on this forum, but I have seen alot of additional information that contradicts or further details the RTech spec. comparison sheet. - For example, gearing. Many articles I have read mention CR gearing on the RS and LSD differences, but the RTech docs shows no difference on gearing and makes no mention of LSD changes.

I'd like to know if anyone has information which augments the Rtech doc. Here's what I've read & seen on the Rtech spec. sheet & elsewhere:

1. Split rear suspension. (Description?)

2. 44mm wider track at rear. (How is this accomplished?)

3. Wide rear body style. (From which car?)

4. Closer ratio gears. (if so, which ones & what spec?) (no mention in RTech docs)

5. Sunroof delete.

6. 5mm longer wheel base. (Up front & how accomplished?)

7. Different LSD(?) (What %, etc.) - (no mention in RTech docs)

8. Single Mass clutch. (Where else does Porsche use this unit?)

9. Weight differences on the US versions. (see RTech docs)

10. Rear wing. (Anyone have comparative downforce specs?)

11. What is missing/wrong here?

I am assuming the comparative spec docs on Rtech are definitive. Any feedback appreciated.

Edited by lbp

I've seen many articles from well-known sources comparing the GT3 and RS variants. The press seems to have some of it right (sometimes wrong too) but none appear to be complete.

I realize that much of this is covered in the Docs post on this forum, but I have seen alot of additional information that contradicts or further details the RTech spec. comparison sheet. - For example, gearing. Many articles I have read mention CR gearing on the RS and LSD differences, but the RTech docs shows no difference on gearing and makes no mention of LSD changes.

I'd like to know if anyone has information which augments the Rtech doc. Here's what I've read & seen on the Rtech spec. sheet & elsewhere:

4. Closer ratio gears. (if so, which ones & what spec?) (no mention in RTech docs)

5. Sunroof delete.

I am assuming the comparative spec docs on Rtech are definitive. Any feedback appreciated.

I also understand from research that the RS motors mounts are solid, but the GT3 mounts are rubberized. Anyone have info on this?

• 2 weeks later...
According to the parts list the GT3 and GT3 RS use the same motor mounts.

Thanks for the clarification.

I saw the solid mounts at Cartographic and took them to be OEM.

Edited by lbp

• 2 years later...

5. Sunroof delete.

I might be able to help you out with a couple of these.

2. Wider track is achieved by the Wheel Offset. ET 68 on the GT3 and ET 51 on the RS.

3. Body is from the carrera 4s apparently, but I have not looked to see if it has any pick up points for the front diff ?

7. I think the Diff is the same. Motorsport diff is different but not standard.

9. Weight difference in the UK is 1395 Kg for GT3 and 1375 Kg for the RS.

11. Do you have the plastic rear window, Rear cage with optional front cage. Extra lip on the front splitter. No door storage and less airbags, although this may be the same on both. Fire extinguisher and Harness as standard on RS.

Hope this helps.

Bob

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

loren would yo say the gt3 mounts are the same as 997 tt, or are they stiffer/different? i am thinking os swapping it out

All different.

GT3 (and GT3 RS) uses 980.375.351.02

997TT uses 997.375.049.08 (coupe) or 997.375.049.05 (cab)

GT2 uses 997.375.049.91

If they fit (and I do not know for sure) I would use the GT2 mounts as they are Porsche MotorSport parts ($303 each vs. $180 for standard) -- unless of course if you have option I140 - Dynamic Engine Mounts (PADM)

loren would yo say the gt3 mounts are the same as 997 tt, or are they stiffer/different? i am thinking os swapping it out

All different.

GT3 (and GT3 RS) uses 980.375.351.02

997TT uses 997.375.049.08 (coupe) or 997.375.049.05 (cab)

GT2 uses 997.375.049.91

If they fit (and I do not know for sure) I would use the GT2 mounts as they are Porsche MotorSport parts ($303 each vs. $180 for standard) -- unless of course if you have option I140 - Dynamic Engine Mounts (PADM)

thanks loren, the gt2 part you are reffering is that a 997 gt2 part, and is it liquid filled ? and what are your thoughts of the 993 rs mounts on a 997.1 turbo, i see few people installing that any feed back would be appreciated

ronnie

Edited by cgng30

Yes, the GT2 part is the 997 GT2.

I do not know if it is liquid filled - but I doubt it.

Use of 993 RS mounts would likely involve some customization work.

so i ordered couple gt2 mounts for my 997 tt, they should work because all the surrounding hardware is the same for gt2 and turbo. we will see

will keep you posted

Yes, the GT2 part is the 997 GT2.

I do not know if it is liquid filled - but I doubt it.

Use of 993 RS mounts would likely involve some customization work.

one more question, how can you tell it is a motorsport # for the gt2 and do you think they will be stiffer then gt2 and the turbo? how do i find this out, considering they will fit. thanks

ronnie

• 1 year later...

The Porsche tech at my local dealer tells me that the GT3 and the RS have different engine assembly part numbers. RS engines are balanced to a tighter tolerance. The tech shared this info when we were discussing a change to a single mass flywheel that I was contemplating for my GT3.