Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

help with B&M Shifter please

Hi all,

I installed a B&M shifter in my 2002 C4S a couple of months ago. Yesterday, while putting the car in reverse, something came loose and there was a lot of side to side movement of the shifter while in gear. I was still able to shift though. Today I took everything apart and found the problem.

There are 2 cables going to the shifter, blue and white. The white one has a ball pivot that snaps into the shifter. The blue one simply has a round base that attaches to the shifter. There is a washer that goes on here as well. The thing I can't figure out is what is supposed to keep the blue cable in place with the shifter? The washer (pictured below) had come off of mine, and I can put it back in, but is there supposed to be something there (like a nut or something) that prevents it from slipping off the shifter cable?

I know this is kinda confusing, so please see pics below. In the second pic, the blue cable is connected to the white "stub" coming off the shifter base. How does this stay on without slipping off the side?

thanks... josh

UPDATED:

ok, someone has figured out the piece that's missing which should hold these 2 parts together. It's not available from the dealer without ordering the entire shifter housing, so I don't want to do that. Can anyone think of any ideas for holding these 2 parts together? What if I simply glued them together? Do they need to be able to rotate or anything? Please see link below for the part that SHOULD be there.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/atta...mp;d=1191525592

insert.jpg

this is the piece from the shifter that is supposed to go into the link cables.

inserted.jpg

this is the linkage connected to the shifter, but not secured in anyway to the shifter (this is what i'm trying to figure out how it should be secured)

washer_copy2.jpg

this is the washer that goes in between the linkage and the shifter.

Edited by jkarp

I had a quick look through the pics i took of my install and managed to spot this. You'll have to zoom into it a bit but it shows a large plug that seems to hold the whole thing in tightly. Maybe it will help for the time being, but if you need any further pics of the same thing let me know.

14dewjc.jpg

Regards

Popolou

• Moderators

That round white plastic bushing in your hand is held in place with a black plastic plug with a barb on the end. If you did the short shifter install the Porsche way then you had to remove the black plastic plug in order to remove the spring-loaded cable connector.

If you cannot find the plug then you can use a screw. (pic from Evan.) The screw is not screwed all the way in yet in the picture.

Or. I think see the plug on PET 996 424 445 00 for $1.22, but on PET it is called a clip.

Now, that white plastic bushing can go on 2 different ways. There is a lip on the bushing. That faces out. In your picture the lip is facing up.

post-4-1191542671_thumb.jpg

post-4-1191542782_thumb.jpg

post-4-1191543017_thumb.jpg