Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing Old-Style Headlights/Nose with New

I love my '01 996, but the '02+ nose and headlights are unquestionably sleeker and more attractive to me. My present headlights are yellowing and the laminate eroding anyway, so I figure I might replace the headlights and the nose with the newer style of both.

I'll probably buy the components on eBay and have someone other than Hoehn do the installation. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

post-23225-1192983876_thumb.jpg

I love my '01 996, but the '02+ nose and headlights are unquestionably sleeker and more attractive to me. My present headlights are yellowing and the laminate eroding anyway, so I figure I might replace the headlights and the nose with the newer style of both.

I'll probably buy the components on eBay and have someone other than Hoehn do the installation. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

im a buyer if you sell these headlights

I have not done this swap nor am I an expert, but the parts catalog lists different part numbers for 99-01 front fenders versus the 02+ fenders. So, you'll want to investigate what changed there before you start shopping for lights and bumpers.

Great point and I'm glad you brought it up. Though, I wonder how the fender could make a difference? I guess I don't understand specifically what the "fender" part would be...I'm pretty new to the DIY world. Thanks.

I have not done this swap nor am I an expert, but the parts catalog lists different part numbers for 99-01 front fenders versus the 02+ fenders. So, you'll want to investigate what changed there before you start shopping for lights and bumpers.

Great point and I'm glad you brought it up. Though, I wonder how the fender could make a difference? I guess I don't understand specifically what the "fender" part would be...I'm pretty new to the DIY world. Thanks.

Good subject,

I have also been wondering what would it take to just upgrade the nose style. I found a couple of possibility via kits to go to the 997 but nothing on the 996 02+:

http://www.xtrememotorcars.com/

http://www.prestigebodykits.com/products/b...107656f7a7e036e

BUT the prices are CRAZY :eek: + paint + lights on top of that.....

Let me know if you do find a DIY way to work in either the 02+ nose or the 997 nose to the old 996.

thanks,

One member wrote me the following and I thought it could be useful to anyone else interested in the cost of this type of conversion:

"Here is the price if you buy it on ebay or used Porsche part store:

- '02+ headlights: $1500

- '02+ GT3 front bumper: $1000 (hard to find at this price)

- new fenders ($400 each)

- new headlight mounting brackets: ($300 with all the nuts and bolts, dealers only)

Paint & Install will cost $2000. You have to blend the color with the hood and doors."

All this adds up to roughly $6K, which is much more than I care to spend on any aesthetic upgrade (...for a car I just bought). I'll keep it on the back burner, however, in case I ever find some extraordinary deals on these components.

I appreciate everyone's input on this... it's an attractive modification for older 996s.

Yep, that will be exactly what you need, but maybe not the GT3 bumper (just the standard one). If i were you i'd put the money you'd spend on doing that and get the 'facelift'. Its a far too much hasle and you get a few more goodies as well as external changes and more bhp (3.4-3.6ltr)

Yep, that will be exactly what you need, but maybe not the GT3 bumper (just the standard one). If i were you i'd put the money you'd spend on doing that and get the 'facelift'. Its a far too much hasle and you get a few more goodies as well as external changes and more bhp (3.4-3.6ltr)

This is all I could find on the "facelift:"

"This is without a doubt the cheaper alternative to buying the 997 and consists of an entirely new A) front spoiler bumper, B) two fenders with a racing fuel tank cap, plus an original Porsche parts kit including C) complete lighting units and D) headlamps (for vehicles with or without Litronic ). At first sight, it is not possible to tell the 996 apart from the 997. The conversion kit is available from HAMANN for the 996 series models Carrera, GT3, Carrera 4S as well as the Turbo and GT2."

Is Hamann UK the only one who does this? They charge around 2,200 brit pounds ($4,400). Is this what you were talking about fastboydave?

Edited by Team996

Alright...there's a apparently a debate on facelifts and I'd like to hear some of your input on it if I can. Basically there's a 996-purist argument that warns that resale value will plummet if a 996 is modified to look like a 997. However, there's the other side that argues that the 997 is more of a classic look and might help sustain the value of the car. My preference is the 02+ 996 look.