Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dension Gateway v. mObridge Ipod Solution

Is there a consensus out there regarding which of these two Ipod solutions is better? Which has the better bluetooth?

Any group buys organized for either?

ive had the nav-tv unit, had it replaced a few times before finally tossing it. have the mobridge unit now.....SO much better than the nav tv unit. clear crisper sound, more songs listed per page (i think its around 99 as opposed to 20 or 30 on the navtv unit), and no hang ups so far. navtv unit kept freezing, not being recognized, etc etc etc

etc

etc

etc....

i LOVE the mobridge unit !

• 3 weeks later...
Is there a consensus out there regarding which of these two Ipod solutions is better? Which has the better bluetooth?

ive had the nav-tv unit, had it replaced a few times before finally tossing it. have the mobridge unit now.....SO much better than the nav tv unit. clear crisper sound, more songs listed per page (i think its around 99 as opposed to 20 or 30 on the navtv unit), and no hang ups so far. navtv unit kept freezing, not being recognized, etc etc etc

etc

etc

etc....

Any word on bluetooth for the mobridge unit yet? That would make it even more appealing.

Soon

I am expecting a beta in December

etc

etc

etc....

Any word on bluetooth for the mobridge unit yet? That would make it even more appealing.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a reply from them about Bluetooth kit to be out early 2008 (No specific dates though). I am waiting for it:)

Thanks

Dan

Soon

I am expecting a beta in December

etc

etc

etc....

• 4 months later...

:jump:

I am testing it. Sounds great, not on final software load yet. I expect a couple of months yet

Bluetooth out now! anyone have it? and how does it sound, i know i hate talkin to people with bluetooth cars sounds horrible but wondering how this one does!

Cheers!

:jump:

I am testing it. Sounds great, not on final software load yet. I expect a couple of months yet

Bluetooth out now! anyone have it? and how does it sound, i know i hate talkin to people with bluetooth cars sounds horrible but wondering how this one does!

Cheers!

Got this in a email today from mObridge regarding their bluetooth:

"For Porsche vehicles your vehicle must contain the PCM navigation system and internal

SIM card to take advantage of the phone functionality on MOST"

Does yours have a sim Mike?

JR

• 4 weeks later...

Just as an additional input to this thread...

My experience (about 15 cars split across PCM, CDR23 and CDR24 radios) is with the Dension GW500 solution. The Gateway 500 has worked well, and provides the flexibility of iPod, USB and L/R audio inputs.

The extra inputs are very helpful for vehicles where I've added both iPod and Satellite radio listening options. I have found that I need to use a ground-loop isolator on the L/R audio input when connecting a satellite radio receiver powered from the vehicle. I'm guessing that either the GW500 or the satellite radio receiver have issues with the alternator whine from the Porsche vehicle power supply.

Also, the Panavise mounts work well for mounting the satellite radio receivers, or something like the DICE iPod dock.

Interesting your comment about the sat alternator whine. On the production Mobridge units that was designed out internally to the unit, following beta test input. Mine is now silent on Sirius input

Still no question it is the best unit out there and does not require an installer to add cost to it.

Just as an additional input to this thread...

My experience (about 15 cars split across PCM, CDR23 and CDR24 radios) is with the Dension GW500 solution. The Gateway 500 has worked well, and provides the flexibility of iPod, USB and L/R audio inputs.

The extra inputs are very helpful for vehicles where I've added both iPod and Satellite radio listening options. I have found that I need to use a ground-loop isolator on the L/R audio input when connecting a satellite radio receiver powered from the vehicle. I'm guessing that either the GW500 or the satellite radio receiver have issues with the alternator whine from the Porsche vehicle power supply.

Also, the Panavise mounts work well for mounting the satellite radio receivers, or something like the DICE iPod dock.

Still no question it is the best unit out there and does not require an installer to add cost to it.

I'm a little curious about your statement. The Dension unit requires a similar amount of installation work as the mObridge unit (at least by what I can tell from a set of installation instructions here :

http://www.higheroctane.com/images/mObridg...-INSTMAN_v4.pdf ).

To my eyes, then, neither the mObridge unit nor the Dension kit have an advantage in regards to installation.

For what it is worth the Dension with the latest firmware is rock solid and I've been running it for months now. I love it. I have not tried the bluetooth.. the installation in the back where the changer is took me all of 20mins.. no lie... with drinking the beers. :)

Oh, and all I need to do to listen to the CDC is to turn the Dension off like for a visit to the dealer.

Feel free to ask questions...

- Andrew

I have the mObridge unit installed since a few days. Works perfect.

One (IMHO big) advantage of the Dension unit is that it comes with a USB port. You can play back music files from a USB memory stick or even a USB hard disk.

The mObridge unit does have a SD card slot, but its for firmware updates only. You cant playback any .mp3 files stored on a SD card with the mObridge.

If i knewed before that the SD slot of the mObridge is for update purposes only i would have bought the Dension Gateway 500, since its more flexible. Also be aware that the mObridge doesnt support the latest Ipod generations, i.e. no ipod nano 3rd gen, no ipod classic 5th and 6th gen, no ipod touch at all. Not sure about the Dension. But from what i know the Dension unit works with the newer ipods with some limitations.

One (IMHO big) advantage of the Dension unit is that it comes with a USB port. You can play back music files from a USB memory stick or even a USB hard disk.

The mObridge unit does have a SD card slot, but its for firmware updates only. You cant playback any .mp3 files stored on a SD card with the mObridge.

If i knewed before that the SD slot of the mObridge is for update purposes only i would have bought the Dension Gateway 500, since its more flexible. Also be aware that the mObridge doesnt support the latest Ipod generations, i.e. no ipod nano 3rd gen, no ipod classic 5th and 6th gen, no ipod touch at all. Not sure about the Dension. But from what i know the Dension unit works with the newer ipods with some limitations.

I have the Dension Gateway 500 and both Ipod Touch and the Iphone work very well with no problems.

Randy

I have the Dension Gateway 500 and both Ipod Touch and the Iphone work very well with no problems.

Randy

I get the "want to turn on airplane mode?" prompt from my iphone with the m0bridge. You do not get that with the Denison?

Randy

I get the "want to turn on airplane mode?" prompt from my iphone with the m0bridge. You do not get that with the Denison?

I get that too, but I just hit the no button. Every time I hook a non apple approved product I get that message so I didn't think that it was a Denison problem.

Randy

Also be aware that the mObridge doesnt support the latest Ipod generations, i.e. no ipod nano 3rd gen, no ipod classic 5th and 6th gen, no ipod touch at all. Not sure about the Dension. But from what i know the Dension unit works with the newer ipods with some limitations.

Hi Chriz,

mObridge does support the latest iPod generations. We have the 3rd Gen Nano, Classic and Touch all working just fine and many customers with this working fine also. I suggest you upgrade to the latest iPod software that was released about 1 week ago if you are having any problems.

Kind regards,

mObridge Support Team

Also be aware that the mObridge doesnt support the latest Ipod generations, i.e. no ipod nano 3rd gen, no ipod classic 5th and 6th gen, no ipod touch at all. Not sure about the Dension. But from what i know the Dension unit works with the newer ipods with some limitations.

Hi Chriz,

mObridge does support the latest iPod generations. We have the 3rd Gen Nano, Classic and Touch all working just fine and many customers with this working fine also. I suggest you upgrade to the latest iPod software that was released about 1 week ago if you are having any problems.

Kind regards,

mObridge Support Team

Don't suppose your update fixes the "this device was not made for iPhone. Would you like to enable Airplane Mode?" notice? It would be a really nice feature....