Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Was thinking of painting my rims any suggestions?

post-22708-1194020697_thumb.jpgHey All,

I have an arena red MY99 996 and I was thinking of repainting my rims as there are a couple of areas of flaking. I was going to repaint in the original color but I not adverse to other colors. I would like to make my ride subtly unique. I am not the type to make the sharp contrast like the combinations that are available with the GT3 RS. But being that it is painted and I can redo a color job, I would consider it. The Silver and Orange GT3 RS is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen.

So let me know your imput. Rigth now I am leaning on a Gun metal color and having the interior and the back of my sport seats done in Gun metal as well.

:renntech:

I have an arena red MY99 996 and I was thinking of repainting my rims as there are a couple of areas of flaking. I was going to repaint in the original color but I not adverse to other colors. I would like to make my ride subtly unique. I am not the type to make the sharp contrast like the combinations that are available with the GT3 RS. But being that it is painted and I can redo a color job, I would consider it. The Silver and Orange GT3 RS is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen.

So let me know your imput. Rigth now I am leaning on a Gun metal color and having the interior and the back of my sport seats done in Gun metal as well.

Camores:

I have the same rims on my MY97 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster, and I have had the same thoughts about re-painting my wheels, which have some scuffs and scratches on the original finish.

I have been tossing around the idea of painting the center of the rims in Ocean Blue, and making the outer lip (about 1" wide) in the original silver, or doing the center in blue and "fading" to the silver lip. Can't decide between that and redoing the rims as they were originally, but I am leaning on the color solution. I might try one rim with the two different schemes and see which one appeals to me more but won't get to it for a while.

If you paint yours first, please post photos and details on materials.

Regards, Maurice.

You guys should ask someone to Photoshop your color wheel ideas onto your car's photo.

White987S:

That is precisely what I have been wishing for, but I'm not "with it" when it comes to these programs.

Anymore details on Photoshop? Is the program expensive or difficult to learn to use?

Regards, Maurice.

You guys should ask someone to Photoshop your color wheel ideas onto your car's photo.

White987S:

That is precisely what I have been wishing for, but I'm not "with it" when it comes to these programs.

Anymore details on Photoshop? Is the program expensive or difficult to learn to use?

Regards, Maurice.

Hi Maurice, there is a fellow forum member here by the name, Djomlas. He is a wizard (and a very nice person) with photoshop. Send him a PM, and ask for his assistance. I'm sure he'll help you out.

Maurice,

If I paint, I will most definately post pictures to see what people think. Though ultimately the decision rests on my shoulders I like to hear what people think.

Does anyone know if their is some history behind Arena Red?

Maurice, my first Porsche was a 944 Turbo a gift from a fantastic father (he is still that generous today). The 944 was gold and had gold BBS rims with polished lips (a nice deep lip in the back) a sweet combination picked out by my father. This time however I am mostly considering a contrasting color like black, Gun Metal Grey or any other color. I wish their was some history behind Arena Red and those cars had some hideous rim color that I could try for a while or justify. I would like my car to pay homage to Ferdinand and the lineage, if at all possible.

White987S,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try and hit him up and see if he has the time to do it. Djomlas has rims that he has painted. He has supplied me with some of the inspiration to do my paint job.

Maurice,

If I paint, I will most definately post pictures to see what people think. Though ultimately the decision rests on my shoulders I like to hear what people think.

Maurice, my first Porsche was a 944 Turbo a gift from a fantastic father (he is still that generous today). The 944 was gold and had gold BBS rims with polished lips (a nice deep lip in the back) a sweet combination picked out by my father. This time however I am mostly considering a contrasting color like black, Gun Metal Grey or any other color. I wish their was some history behind Arena Red and those cars had some hideous rim color that I could try for a while or justify. I would like my car to pay homage to Ferdinand and the lineage, if at all possible.

White987S,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try and hit him up and see if he has the time to do it. Djomlas has rims that he has painted. He has supplied me with some of the inspiration to do my paint job.

Camores:

Nice father!

I still have a set of the basket weave gold BBS rims with a polished lip on my '71 BMW 2002. It's the only car I ever bought new, and I still have it. The car is Agave Green (sort of a not too dark green with a bluish tinge) and the contrast between the green of the car and the gold on the wheels looks excellent.

Don't know anything about the history behind Arena Red, but someone else here probably does.

Let me know if Djomlas does anything with his photoshop, I'd like to see the results. I don't want to bombard him with requests.

Regards, Maurice.

Camores:

Found a couple of painted rims photos. Check them out.

Most are a little too garish for my taste, but I note that in the photo with the multiple wheels, the bottom right corner wheel is similar to stock rims I saw on a red Cayenne S last week.

post-6627-1194127043_thumb.jpg

post-6627-1194127237_thumb.jpg

Regards, Maurice.

OK,

thanks to Djomlas and his skills at photoshop, I am going with black with an arena red stripe. It looks too nice to pass up. If you look at the picture he is a wizard, as he seemed to have waxed my car and tinted my tail lights. In another picture he actually lowered my car! I was going to show that picture as well but I am angry he left the bags of sand in my car.

Camores :renntech:

post-22708-1194145776_thumb.jpg

Maurice,

I fantasize about those BMW 2002's once in a while. My dream would be to justify getting one by making the wife drive it to work on nice days. Then I could borrow it from her when she divorces me from making her switch cars so often.

camores

Maurice,

White987S,

Camores:

Nice father!

I still have a set of the basket weave gold BBS rims with a polished lip on my '71 BMW 2002. It's the only car I ever bought new, and I still have it. The car is Agave Green (sort of a not too dark green with a bluish tinge) and the contrast between the green of the car and the gold on the wheels looks excellent.

Don't know anything about the history behind Arena Red, but someone else here probably does.

Let me know if Djomlas does anything with his photoshop, I'd like to see the results. I don't want to bombard him with requests.

Regards, Maurice.

OK,

thanks to Djomlas and his skills at photoshop, I am going with black with an arena red stripe. It looks too nice to pass up. If you look at the picture he is a wizard, as he seemed to have waxed my car and tinted my tail lights. In another picture he actually lowered my car! I was going to show that picture as well but I am angry he left the bags of sand in my car.

Camores :renntech:

Camores:

Nice choice of colors for the wheels. The photo with that color combination gives the car a more "updated" look. The trend in rims lately seems to be towards black or body-color painted rims.

On the other topic, there is nothing like a 2002 for zipping around and throwing into corners.

Regards, Maurice.

• 4 months later...

I have the factory Sport Design wheels on my car (18" two-piece with 10 spokes and bolts all the way 'round), and they are chromed.

Since I'm not too fond of chrome, I had a company that advertises in Panorama quote a strip / paint job. Company was Wheel Restoration or something like that in California. They quoted about $600 per wheel, not including shipping and removal / reinstall of tires. They would strip the chrome, polish / grind everything to remove any curb rash, separate the center spokes from the rim, polish the rim and clear-coat (almost a chrome-finish) and paint the center part midnight blue metallic to match the car. Would look sharp, but still, $2400 plus plus.