Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

how to remove driver side inside door handle?

Anyone know how to safely remove the upper part of the inside door handle(grab hande)? Not the silver door pull?

My stupid body shop broke it while trying to remove the inside door panel.

Thanks.

Colonel:

Once you see how easy it is to remove the grab handle, you will lose any remaining confidence that you may have had in that body shop.

First, the door panel does NOT have to be removed in order to remove the grab bar.

There are two large (#30, IIRC) torx screws that must be accessed and removed in order to remove the grab bar.

The first one is located under the plastic cover that surrounds the door pull. This is the only piece that is a little tricky to remove without breaking off a tab that helps to hold it in place. Looking from underneath the plastic cover, you'll notice a small indentation in the center, towards the rear of that piece. You can work a small flathead screwdriver in there at the appropriate time, and, at that time, you can gently just separate it slightly from its contact surface with the door panel. First, though, put some significant pressure on the top (horizontal) rearmost surface of that plastic piece. Then, work the small flathead screwdriver in the indentation from underneath to separate it and then grab the whole plastic piece and rotate it upwards, pulling the bottom towards you and up, WHILE KEEPING THE DOWNWARD PRESSURE ON THE TOP REARMOST HORIZONTAL SURFACE OF THE PIECE. Note that the pressing down while rotating the piece is what keeps the small tab that is under that section from breaking. From what I have read, they break 50% of the time, but if you do it this way, they will not break.

Once that plastic cover is off, unscrew the #30 long torx screw located there.

To access the other screw, you must remove the small vinyl/plastic semi-circular ring that is located at the forwardmost point of the cubby. Just slip in a small PLASTIC blade under the left side(as you are facing the inside of the drivers' side door) near its uppermost portion (just below that left corner) and then rotate the top of the part towards you with some friction. That semi-circular ring is flexible and has an "up" position that is indicated with an arrow on its underside, so you can't put it back wrong.

Now unscrew the #30 long torx screw located under the ring.

Once you have both large torx screws removed, just grab a hold of the grab bar and pull it towards the front of the door and it will slide right off. (This is the part that will find you disappointed in the body shop's abilities).

To re-install, you will see it has two hooked tabs on the bottom rearmost surface of the grab bar that fits into two slots on the top of the door pocket.

EDIT: Sorry Colonel, I didn't realize yours was a 997, so this write-up will probably not help you. I should have read the header more carefully. Maybe I will re-post it in the appropriate forum so it doesn't go to waste.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

1schoir,

Not a problem... actaully I know how to remove the door panel... I can't believe the body shop didn't. They broke the door handle and put dents around the door from prying out the panel. I already don't have any faith left in them. My car was in an accident back in June. I'm still fighting with the owner because the repair was not done correctly and he need to redo the repairs.