Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help! Key won't open door!

Hello,

I haven't drove my 03 Targa since Sunday 11/4. This morning I had to get a few things out of the car, and the keyfob wasn't unlocking the doors, the hood, or the glass hatch. I thought maybe my battery died, though the security light was still blinking red, I tried to open the door with my key and that wouldn't work either. Do you think my battery is dead? It's only been 7 days or maybe my key got damaged or out of sync with the security system some how?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello,

I haven't drove my 03 Targa since Sunday 11/4. This morning I had to get a few things out of the car, and the keyfob wasn't unlocking the doors, the hood, or the glass hatch. I thought maybe my battery died, though the security light was still blinking red, I tried to open the door with my key and that wouldn't work either. Do you think my battery is dead? It's only been 7 days or maybe my key got damaged or out of sync with the security system some how?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Please clarify, your physical key will not unlock the car door? I have had a similar issue where my key fob will not unlock any doors after a few days of not being used. I have always unlocked the driver’s door physically, (alarm may sound) click the unlock on the fob then all is well.

Andrew

• Moderators

Hi

A good change that the door lock / latch is replaced or the door outside handle and the extend of the lock cylinder is out of possition ( no penetration extend - door lock / latch ). In this case is locking - unlocking with the key impossible, concerning the remote control, if the red led is flashing = remote faulty if the red led not flashing = battery empty. Trey the second remote but there is a big change that the remote is out of synchronisation ( after approx. 5 days unused ) and it is not possible to do the synchronisation if the lock cylinder is disconnected from the lock / latch. I think that you can use some help from a OPC or good indy to open the door.

Good luck.

Hi

A good change that the door lock / latch is replaced or the door outside handle and the extend of the lock cylinder is out of possition ( no penetration extend - door lock / latch ). In this case is locking - unlocking with the key impossible, concerning the remote control, if the red led is flashing = remote faulty if the red led not flashing = battery empty. Trey the second remote but there is a big change that the remote is out of synchronisation ( after approx. 5 days unused ) and it is not possible to do the synchronisation if the lock cylinder is disconnected from the lock / latch. I think that you can use some help from a OPC or good indy to open the door.

Good luck.

I'm unable to open the door phsyically with the key. The red led is flashing. I was told you can remove the battery to try a soft reset, but after doing so, the red led still flashes. I never payed attention to it before, but how is the led on the key supposed to light during normal operation?

Thanks again!

• Moderators

If the red led in the remote is flashing and the central locking doesnt work: remote out of synchronisation ( not possible to do the synchronisation without mechanical connection between lock cylinder and door lock / latch ) or remote faulty.

If you can turn the lock cylinder, with the key, starting from the middle 90 degrees to the left and 90 degrees to the right without problems or resistance you got the problem as mentioned earlier.

Your key (remote) will not unlock the car after a few days anyway (think its 5?), as the system goes into standby to save power. The alarm and security features are still all go, but you loose the facility to remote central lock and disable the alarm. In this case you have to open the door 'maually' with your key and within 10 secs (i think it is) turn on ignition (position 2). This powers back up the remote etc and your remote central locking should work again. However, if your key physically doesnt unlock the door, then you have a mechanical problem (linkage maybe) that is stopping this.

I would still not rule out the battery. The voltage may be to low for the door locks but enough for the alarm.

Hello,

Someone recommended trying to disconnect and reconnect the battery. I was able to get the hood open through the emergency release. The alarm went off and I disconnected the battery immediately. I tried reconnecting the battery, but the alarm continued to go off. Will this continue to happen? Or do I have to wait a few minutes or hours before reattaching the battery?

I would still not rule out the battery. The voltage may be to low for the door locks but enough for the alarm.

Hello,

Someone recommended trying to disconnect and reconnect the battery. I was able to get the hood open through the emergency release. The alarm went off and I disconnected the battery immediately. I tried reconnecting the battery, but the alarm continued to go off. Will this continue to happen? Or do I have to wait a few minutes or hours before reattaching the battery?

if the alarm goes off you could turn it off by putting your key to the ignition and turn it to on and off.

Hello,

go get the alarm battery replaced, cost $2 . Maybe it has enough to light up the led but not enough juice to unlock your car

Hello,

Hello,

Yesterday I called a service manager where I take my car for service telling him about my situation. He told me I should pull the door handle as I turn the key and this should open the door. I plugged my battery back in and tried, though it did not open the door physically with the key, the remote started to work again. So now i'm in, now I have another problem. Since pulling the emergency hood release, i'm unable to close my hood completely. I'm assuming this is not normal, do you have to manually reset the emergency hood release somehow?

I'll be taking the car into service to checkout why the physical key is not opening the door.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance.