Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Audio Upgrade Questions

I recently got a 99 C4 cab and I'm not too happy with the audio (plus I miss my ipod). I was thinking of upgrading the head unit with a single din Alpine, a friend has one and has been happy with its Ipod connectivity. I see there are a specific brand of speakers everyone in the forum likes, as long as they are an easy fit that doesnt seem like an issue. I'll probably do without a sub since there is nowhere easy to put it. My only question is the amp, I saw mention that the cars have a small amp somewhere in the front. Is it worth reusing froma sound quality perspective? If not, do any other amps fit in the spot it is in? It would be nice not to lose any of my already small trunk space.

BTW forum has already been a big help, since joining I did the 30k mile service, fixed the reverse switch and installed a short shifter. Next up is the stereo and fixing the window drop.

The Porsche radio Becker model CR220/436/4462 has an aux input.

Go here: http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsche/Porsche%20Menu.html

Instructions for installing an external audio source (MP3)

Application: CR220, CDR220, BE4602, Mexico Pro and Traffic Pro.

• Remove the C3 Socket connector from your radio. If your radio does not have one, find the one enclosed in the cable kit.

• Locate the set of female RCA jacks from the modification kit.

• Insert the brown lead into pin #18 of the C3 Socket.

• Insert the yellow lead into pin #19 of the C3 Socket.

• Insert the red lead into pin #20 of the C3 Socket.

**** When selecting this option, you will not be able to use an external CD Changer since they both use the same audio input lines. ****

To select Auxiliary Input for Mercedes-Benz 4602:

Turn radio ON. Press and hold the button for 8 seconds, until Becker 1 is displayed. Turn the Tuning Knob until AUX OFF is displayed. Press either button located directly under the Arrows on the display to change the present setting from OFF to ON. Turn radio OFF. Auxiliary Audio Input has now been activated.

If you have an amp it's above and behind the spare tire in vertical position in the upper trunk area.

Edited by KevinMac

To answer one of your original questions, the OEM amp is pathetic. Simply stated. The OEM speakers are likewise substandard for a car of this caliber. If you're going to do a replacement head unit, instead of what KevinMac has suggested, do the whole kit and kaboodle. You'll be very happy with the end result over OEM. I'm using an Alpine head unit with JL Audio amp and Focal components in the front and, IIRC, Boston Acoustics as fill in the back.