Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Broke the front aero air dam...

Took a trip up the Calif Coast Hwy and busted the front aero air dam going in and out of the little shop areas along the highway. Can you tell me if I can get a replacment from a decent aftermarket company, or is this a Porsche part since it's a Porsche factory front/rear aero install. Also....do they make one out of black rubber that might be a little more forgiving? As careful as I tried to be, there's just no way that this isn't going to happen again...but I want to make sure that the front and rear aero designs are complimenting each other and not throwing off the aerodynamics for high speed running.

Suggestions? Right now, I'm just running without it...but it looks funky without one on there because of the tabs that normally hold the air dam in place.

• 2 weeks later...
Took a trip up the Calif Coast Hwy and busted the front aero air dam going in and out of the little shop areas along the highway. Can you tell me if I can get a replacment from a decent aftermarket company, or is this a Porsche part since it's a Porsche factory front/rear aero install. Also....do they make one out of black rubber that might be a little more forgiving? As careful as I tried to be, there's just no way that this isn't going to happen again...but I want to make sure that the front and rear aero designs are complimenting each other and not throwing off the aerodynamics for high speed running.

Suggestions? Right now, I'm just running without it...but it looks funky without one on there because of the tabs that normally hold the air dam in place.

I'm not sure if you're still looking for a replacement, but I was directed to http://www.mashaw.com/html/product_info.html. I reached out to them and they were very responsive. I'm not a customer (yet), but moving in that direction. Best of luck! The factory trim is super expensive (IMO).

I'm not sure if you're still looking for a replacement, but I was directed to http://www.mashaw.com/html/product_info.html. I reached out to them and they were very responsive. I'm not a customer (yet), but moving in that direction. Best of luck! The factory trim is super expensive (IMO).

Chuck,

Here is the link to the splitter you may be looking for from MA Shaw. http://www.mashaw.com/html/product_info.html It's not rubber like on the 997. Maybe someone else makes one. Might want to try these guys as well. I have their kit on my 996. http://www.nrauto.com/sub_index.asp?makeid...p;spage=Submain

Good luck and sorry to hear about the damage.

Phillipj

Phillip: That's the best price I've seen on a replacement splitter so far. Most of the prices are up in the $700-900 range. One fellow sel ls the replacment in carbon fibre....but it's outsourced to asia and I'm not sure about the quality....but for $800 I wouldn't have to spend the money to paint it... Right now, I'm just running without it because as low as it sits, it's just a question of time before I whack it again.

From what I'm hearing, you can run without it, but the car gets unstable at higher speeds without the front splitter to compliment the rear spoiler.

WRoss: That's the one I've been looking for and I just fired off an email to FVD...outlet is in Florida. Since they're only around $350, I can just replace it every so often when it gets looking a little beat up. There's just no way to keep it from getting scuffed if you use your car as a daily driver....so the FVD is the most economically feasible way to go. Thanx for the referral.

I had a friend rack up his car and we checked his front spoiler and it had a Porsche number on it but Loren couldn't find any PET reference to the product....so FVD is the solution.

For those who might have an older PET list or some other resource for access to Porsche parts....the number I took off the front rubber lip that was on my friend's car was..... 996 505 555-00. It had a Porsche/Germany name stamped on it too.....but like I said....Loren looked in his files and couldn't find a reference to a front lip with that number on it.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Jones

• 2 weeks later...

I just received the front splitter from FVD and it's perfect. It's made out of a rubber like material that seems a bit more forgiving than the previous plastic one I had. It fits perfectly and since it's black, it phases in with the dark blue nicely. It also seems a tad bit higher and is not as prone to scraping when I back out of the driveway onto the street. Thanks for the referral WROSS......truly appreciate it.