Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Stuck in Third Gear

My car (99 996 C2) is on its way to the dealer. On my way home I down shifted to 2nd gear to cross some RR tracks. There was a slight grinding sensation and when I shifted to 3rd it was hard and rough. Right off I thought something wasn’t right. I tried to shift into another gear but it wouldn’t shift. All I could do was move the shifter up and down. It wouldn’t move left or right at all.

I was able to drive all the way home in 3rd gear; I only had to start from a standstill twice. I remove the center consol and checked the shift lever. I was hoping it was the linkage at the shifter but nothing was amiss with it.

I check the shift linkage at the transmission but there wasn’t anything obviously wrong. One of the levers, the one with the green cable, I was able to move easily back and forth but the other lever wouldn’t move at all.

Anyone with a similar experience? Is this something that can be repaired or will I need to buy a new transmission?

Thanks Loren

I check the cables and there doesn’t appear to be anything wrong with either. There is no external damage and the connections tight; though I find it unusual that zip ties would be used on the connections to the linkage. The green cables and the linkage at the transmission move easily. The other cable seems to be in tack as it does take up the free play but will not shift.

I lucked out, I think! The Porsche tech says it’s the shift cable. I was quoted $883 for parts and labor. I haven’t seen the quote in writing but it appears kind of high to me. If it takes 4 hours to complete the job the labor would be $410 and parts $388 plus sales tax. Anybody else have this work done? Does the price seem about right? Since it’s already at the dealer it doesn’t really matter but could this be a DIY job? From what I remember it doesn’t look like it would be that difficult.

• Admin

The cable lists for about $197 so that would be $686 labor?

Sounds high to me.

Porsche's labor book says: 230 time units (2.3 hours)

Involves:

Removing (and reinstalling) the center console.

Removing (and reinstalling) underbody cover.

Removing (and reinstalling) the cable.

Adjust brake cables as needed.

My car (99 996 C2) is on its way to the dealer. On my way home I down shifted to 2nd gear to cross some RR tracks. There was a slight grinding sensation and when I shifted to 3rd it was hard and rough. Right off I thought something wasn’t right. I tried to shift into another gear but it wouldn’t shift. All I could do was move the shifter up and down. It wouldn’t move left or right at all.

I was able to drive all the way home in 3rd gear; I only had to start from a standstill twice. I remove the center consol and checked the shift lever. I was hoping it was the linkage at the shifter but nothing was amiss with it.

I check the shift linkage at the transmission but there wasn’t anything obviously wrong. One of the levers, the one with the green cable, I was able to move easily back and forth but the other lever wouldn’t move at all.

Anyone with a similar experience? Is this something that can be repaired or will I need to buy a new transmission?

Lee,

Glad to hear that it wasn't serious!!

Phillipj

Yeah me too! After having to replace my engine I get a little paranoid. Just so happens I was going out of town on business so I wasn’t going to have my car anyway.

I got a call while out of town from the dealer and it just so happened that my reverse switch was bad so I’m out another $150.

Please don’t tell me this is a $20 part that would’ve taken me just a few minutes to do myself.

Have you checked the cable just hasn't popped off from the lever sticking out of the tranny?

(Just had to use the word tranny in that sentence).

If so just pop it back on. Happened to me once.

Edited by MagnusB

• 3 years later...

Lee,

Did replacing the shift cables fix the problem. This just happened to me this weekend except I was stuck in 4th. I was able to get under the car and manually shift it into second to get home. No side to side movement and once out of gear you can't get it back into gear.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

00 Audi TT, 99 996, 86 951 LS1

3.2 Conversion & 915 Rebuild Home Page

THE 951 Conversion

Edited by marcesq

Lee,

Did replacing the shift cables fix the problem. This just happened to me this weekend except I was stuck in 4th. I was able to get under the car and manually shift it into second to get home. No side to side movement and once out of gear you can't get it back into gear.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

00 Audi TT, 99 996, 86 951 LS1

3.2 Conversion & 915 Rebuild Home Page

THE 951 Conversion

This is an old thread. Here is a link to a more recent one with similar problems.

PRESS HERE