Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM Upgrade

I found a used PCM for sale, it's part # is 997.642.131.05

Will it work in an 05 987 S? It looks like the part.

It appears to just be the head unit. Wouldn't I need a NAV unit and wiring harness?

Would someone know the part #s and what they would cost?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Bama

• Admin

The parts list says it will only work a 997. I do not know why.

It also says:

"*997 642 131 05 FMH control part volcano grey/black mat

F >>995S7 16151

F >>995S7 41124

see technical information

GR. 9 , NR. 7/04

Part has successor (1:1)

*997 642 131 06 FMH control part"

This says that only for serial number sequences (shown as F >>).

It also says it was replaced by 997 642 131 06 FMH

The PCM and the navigation drive must be matched , also the PCM's are available in two formats, those with or without BOSE and those for 2wd and those for 4WD cars. Fitting a USED PCM will require your local Porsche agent to obtain a KEYPASS code based on your chassis number to unlock the PCM. Unless you can prove provenance (ie its not stolen) I doubt the main agent will even consider helping. Though the PCM is a direct swap physically for the standard radio, (even the plugs on the rear swap straight over) it needs to be coded to your car with the workshop tool to set it up correctly and get it to start working.

Edited by berty987

• 2 weeks later...
The PCM and the navigation drive must be matched , also the PCM's are available in two formats, those with or without BOSE and those for 2wd and those for 4WD cars. Fitting a USED PCM will require your local Porsche agent to obtain a KEYPASS code based on your chassis number to unlock the PCM. Unless you can prove provenance (ie its not stolen) I doubt the main agent will even consider helping. Though the PCM is a direct swap physically for the standard radio, (even the plugs on the rear swap straight over) it needs to be coded to your car with the workshop tool to set it up correctly and get it to start working.

berty987,

the keypass is a thing of the past. it is no longer a requirement for the PCM2.1, which I'm assuming is being discussed.

That would suggest that there is no protection for Porsche's expensive audio equipment. I find this very hard to beleive. From what I've seen of the retro fitting instructions of the PCM in TSB's , it suggests that the gateway module needs to be communicated with and that the instrument cluster holds a software key that must be matched to the PCM / CDR for it to function. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that all the security configurations / resetting on the current 997/987 cars , is based on software keys which are provided from Porsche in Germany. These must be requested after a chassis number has been provided by the main agent. Certainly the documentation I've seen makes reference to access codes for certain procedures regarding module replacement and audio.

Edited by berty987