Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OBC Farenheit to Celsius conversion

I run a -98 2.5l Boxster that originated in California. I recently got my Porsche mechanic to activate the OBC so I get the outside temperature (quite handy in Sweden this time of the year). Unfortunately he did not know how to get it to show Celsius so it is now showing Fahrenheit. Can anyone help me with the menu choices that need to be done on the Piwis for this?

Best regards

:renntech:

I run a -98 2.5l Boxster that originated in California. I recently got my Porsche mechanic to activate the OBC so I get the outside temperature (quite handy in Sweden this time of the year). Unfortunately he did not know how to get it to show Celsius so it is now showing Fahrenheit. Can anyone help me with the menu choices that need to be done on the Piwis for this?

Best regards

:renntech:

I think the control is connected to the Heat and Air Conditioning Panel. I forgot the input codes maybe someone else on the board can help.

• Moderators

Trey the push buttons reset trip counter or clock, i cant remember, push and hold it for at least 10 seconds with ignition on or engine running. Some ROW versions will switch from miles to kilometers and outside temperature from F to C. In this case it is in the book.

• Moderators

On your year if you want to modify the instrument cluster coding with PST2/PIWIS there are 2 changes that can be made. Change the clock from 12 to 24 hours. Change the OBC to on/off. There is no menue to change the outside temp display.

We have tried to make this change for years with no luck. If you had a cluster from a metric country, such as Canada, then the display would be in Celsius.

No clue about a ROW cluster.

post-4-1197139059_thumb.jpg

I was playing with the fiancee's car yesterday while chauffeuring her on some errands... the car comes equipped with PCM. Using the PCM interface I can switch the computer to Celsius and kph... The gas mileage readings even can be switched to l/100 km.

What is funny is that all of these settings ONLY affect the PCM display. The dash computer always shows MPG, MPH, and degrees Farenheit. Kind of weird to be able to see both sets of numbers at the same time depending upon where I look.

In my Audi A6, which is 2 years older, there is a special combo of buttons you can press on the climate control unit that converts the entire car between F and C, including the trip computer. It still to this day blows my mind that in a more expensive Porsche that there are far less features like this than in a sedan manufactured by one of their sister companies. Ah well, it's a trade for HP and handling I guess :)

Edited by schwank

• Moderators

That will change the interior temp display on the a/c control unit. It does not change the instrument cluster display for the outside temp.

The Porsche a/c control unit is from an Audi, so I guess that is why you can change the a/c display on your Audi. It is strange that on the Porsche it does not also change the cluster display. But I guess that is what happens when Porsche builds cars from the VW/Audi parts bins.

Thanks for all input!

I have tried the recirc and (+) button (which works fine for the ACC temp display). I have also done the Trip/clock to the one side for a about 10 sec which toogles between kmh and mph. Unfortunately neither of these affect the OBC outside temp display on my vehicle.

So it looks like "Toolpants" is right.

• Moderators

I forgot about this guy in the US but with a metric Canadian cluster as the car was imported to the US from Canada. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...3&hl=canada You should swap clusters with him....

A few years ago we had a local gal here in California with a 1997 imported from Canada. She had the factory OBC with the additional stalk. Her OBC displays were metric and they could not be changed. That is why Porsche sells clusters that are country specific.

If I remember correctly you can switch between metric and US units on 2002-2004 that came with OBC as a factory option. But not on the older cars.

So I tried the recirc with + button on our 01 S and it does not work. Maybe it has something to do with PCM. Right now the PCM display is in Celsius while the OBC and Climate control are in Farenheit. The recirc button trick does not change either the OBC or climate control display in our car.

• 12 years later...

Old thread but I just wanted to share what worked on my car. It's a 986 Boxster S from 2003, imported to Sweden from the US. I wanted to have Celsius instead of Fahrenheit on my AC panel. My Porsche dealer changed the cars region from US to Worldwide (or something similar) and the AC panel now shows Celsius. One unexpected bonus was that it also changed the units on the instrument cluster to metric ones, which I thought was impossible. I had done the OBC hack earlier but it was a little disappointing that the units were MPG, Fahrenheit and miles. But now the outside temperature is shown in Celsius and consumption in L/100 km. The clock is now showing 24h instead of AM/PM. I'm very pleased. Hope someone finds this helpful.