Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Recently when installing the x-51 Air box I found it necessary to remove the plenum to allow me to install the oil filler tube.

I noticed a coating of oil inside the the plenum that seems excessive.

Anybody have an Idea as to what could be defective to cause this? I would have expected to find some but not as much as I found.

If it is very light I think that is expected - emission laws require that crankcase ventilation be passed back into the engine.

I wouldn't consider it light. I wiped it with a rag. I was wondering if something could be wrong in Crankcase Ventilation system to cause this. My car also consumes a Quart of Oil every 650-1500 miles mostly in the 1200-1500 mile range and currently has a little over 14K on it.

You oil usage is normal. Porsche says 1 quart in 1000 miles is acceptable.

Most crankcase ventilation problems cause a CEL - or it can easily be tested by a dealer with a pressure gauge they put on the oil filler (instead of the cap).

Thanks much.

Recently when installing the x-51 Air box I found it necessary to remove the plenum to allow me to install the oil filler tube.

Anybody have an Idea as to what could be defective to cause this? I would have expected to find some but not as much as I found.

I'm also doing the X-51 airbox install in short time. Earlier information says that you need to remove the alternator to install the oil filler tube. Can I do the install of the oil filler tube by removing the plenum? Is it a easy install?

Edited by frafoss

I'm also doing the X-51 airbox install in short time. Earlier information says that you need to remove the alternator to install the oil filler tube. Can I do the install of the oil filler tube by removing the plenum? Is it a easy install?

Besides the Cutting the hole in the lid which is apain the Oil tube install is as much or a bigger pain. You really do need to take out the alternator and I found taking out the plenum helped me get to the back screw on the filler tube and the nut on the main wire to the alternator. The problem with the alternator is where the Main approx. 4" bolt holds it on the mount. The tolerances between the mount and the Alternator around this bolt are very tight. This requires some careful wedging etc to pry the alt out then some careful hammering with a Rubber mallet to put it back in. I found my 1/4" ratchet and extensions valuable in this installation. You will also need a set of female Torx sockets to do this job. The screws on MAF are special and either require a special tool or in my case I used a small pare of vise grips to get them out. You may want to find some replacements for these before you get started. Instructions on removing and reinstalling the plenum can be found here. http://roadsportsupply.com/PDFs/IPD/Plenum...97300_97301.pdf

Good luck. No regrets on my part. Hopefully you have checked out my other posts on the install too.

Besides the Cutting the hole in the lid which is apain the Oil tube install is as much or a bigger pain. You really do need to take out the alternator and I found taking out the plenum helped me get to the back screw on the filler tube and the nut on the main wire to the alternator. The problem with the alternator is where the Main approx. 4" bolt holds it on the mount. The tolerances between the mount and the Alternator around this bolt are very tight. This requires some careful wedging etc to pry the alt out then some careful hammering with a Rubber mallet to put it back in. I found my 1/4" ratchet and extensions valuable in this installation. You will also need a set of female Torx sockets to do this job. The screws on MAF are special and either require a special tool or in my case I used a small pare of vise grips to get them out. You may want to find some replacements for these before you get started. Instructions on removing and reinstalling the plenum can be found here. http://roadsportsupply.com/PDFs/IPD/Plenum...97300_97301.pdf

Good luck. No regrets on my part. Hopefully you have checked out my other posts on the install too.

Thanks a lot for your information. I will check you post about the install.

Merry christmas :)

I know Porsche says 1 quart per 1000 miles is ok but most cars are not consuming such a large amount of oil and are closer to one quart per 2500-5000 miles with a wide range driving styles.

Consumption of 1 quart per 1000 miles would mean a GALLON of oil very 4,000 miles or 10 GALLONS of oil at 40,000 miles!!!!

Thanks a lot for your information. I will check you post about the install.

Merry christmas :)

Due a search on the Alternator removal too. There is an easier way than what I went through. Basically loosen the long bolt about a 1/4" of an inch and put a socket on the nut. Tap it with a hammer a few times and the that should push the bushing back enough to allow the Alt to slide out easily.

I know Porsche says 1 quart per 1000 miles is ok but most cars are not consuming such a large amount of oil and are closer to one quart per 2500-5000 miles with a wide range driving styles.

Consumption of 1 quart per 1000 miles would mean a GALLON of oil very 4,000 miles or 10 GALLONS of oil at 40,000 miles!!!!

The oil consumption is the only thing I am not happy about with my car. I haven't added a drop of oil to my wife's S4 since it was new following the recommended oil change intervals.

The oil consumption is the only thing I am not happy about with my car. I haven't added a drop of oil to my wife's S4 since it was new following the recommended oil change intervals.

The Porsche flat six has always been known for using oil but it should not be excessive as I mentioned above. Certainly during break-in the oil usage will be more. My 07 997S has consumed about 1.5 quarts in 6500 miles with the first quart during the initial 2000 miles. This is a current poll on rennlist that shows oil consumption:

None. Never add between changes 35.20%

1 quart every 5,000 miles 31.84%

1 quart every 2,500 miles 21.79%

1 quart every 1,000 miles 7.82%

1 quart every 500 miles 3.35%

Voters: 179.

Edited by 500