Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Recently purchased a 99 996 and it is getting a PO605 ROM error. I have a ODB reader/eraser and when I erase it it comes back after 3 or 4 starts. An independant porshe repair guy connected his laptop, erased it, and it came back a few starts later. Didnt ask him what software he had but I think he saw a similar error.

Car runs great. ECU repair guys I spoke with said that if this error was real the ECU would be dead.

I guess my question is will a PST2 be able to diagnose it further. The dealer wants $140 to scan it.

Can the PST2 repair the ECU or only read and erase?

Thanks

Dan

• Admin
Recently purchased a 99 996 and it is getting a PO605 ROM error. I have a ODB reader/eraser and when I erase it it comes back after 3 or 4 starts. An independant porshe repair guy connected his laptop, erased it, and it came back a few starts later. Didnt ask him what software he had but I think he saw a similar error.

Car runs great. ECU repair guys I spoke with said that if this error was real the ECU would be dead.

I guess my question is will a PST2 be able to diagnose it further. The dealer wants $140 to scan it.

Thanks

Dan

A PST2 could re-program your DME (so that would repair any program errors) - but I doubt that is the problem.

I would look to see that all the electrical connections at the DME are clean and tight.

(I split this topic off from the Diagnostic tool registry thread - it belongs here.)

Thanks

Dan

A PST2 could re-program your DME (so that would repair any program errors) - but I doubt that is the problem.

I would look to see that all the electrical connections at the DME are clean and tight.

(I split this topic off from the Diagnostic tool registry thread - it belongs here.)

Thanks Loren, I will clean the connections tonight.

Dan

Thanks

Dan

Dan

I changed the ignition switch and cleaned the ECU connections last night. The area under the seat was clean and dry and the connections were not dirty. The check engine light was off after the 1st start and came back on after the 4th start at Starbucks this morning. The front seat bolts were very tight, I dont think anyone has taken the seat out before me.

I didnt bring my code reader with me but I am assuming its still the P0605 error. Let me know if you have any other ideas and in parallel I will see if I can find a replacement. It is P/N 996.618.260.05 and has M535 printed in big letters.

Another observation, when the key is turned off the radio slowly turns off and the digital odometer, speedometer, and clock stay on. They will turn off after 10 to 15 minutes or when the car is locked. When the car is locked the interior lights turn off then flash on and off. Its almost like the ignition is not turning all the way off but I changed the ignition switch last night with no change. When the dash lights are on you can turn the radio back on by pressing the power button. Weird or normal?

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks

Dan

Dan

I changed the ignition switch and cleaned the ECU connections last night. The area under the seat was clean and dry and the connections were not dirty. The check engine light was off after the 1st start and came back on after the 4th start at Starbucks this morning. The front seat bolts were very tight, I dont think anyone has taken the seat out before me.

I didnt bring my code reader with me but I am assuming its still the P0605 error. Let me know if you have any other ideas and in parallel I will see if I can find a replacement. It is P/N 996.618.260.05 and has M535 printed in big letters.

Another observation, when the key is turned off the radio slowly turns off and the digital odometer, speedometer, and clock stay on. They will turn off after 10 to 15 minutes or when the car is locked. When the car is locked the interior lights turn off then flash on and off. Its almost like the ignition is not turning all the way off but I changed the ignition switch last night with no change. When the dash lights are on you can turn the radio back on by pressing the power button. Weird or normal?

Thanks,

Dan

I think I cleaned the connectors on the wrong ECU. Is the engine ECU under the RR seat? How do you get to it?

• Admin

The box under the driver seat is the alarm/central locking control box - not the DME.

The DME is behind a panel that is behind the rear seats. Once you remove the cover you need to remove the bolts that hold the DME cover plate so you can access the DME.

post-1-1198076743_thumb.jpg post-1-1198076750_thumb.jpg

BTW... the radio will work with the ignition off in all German cars (that I am aware of).

Cleaned connector and the check engine light came back on after a few starts.

Erased the error and went to smog shop. The car barely passed emissions but failed on board diagnostic check "not ready"

Have an appt tomorrow to get it scanned by a shop that has the latest PTS2 for 95 bucks.

The DME looked like it had been worked on before.

There were some scratches on the lid and it looked like the aluminum clips may have been opened.

Also, the metal shelf was not put back together correctly.

Failed smog yesterday due to on board diagnostic error. Emissions were high but passed.

Took it to a Porsche shop with a PTS2 and it had the same P0605 error.

They charged me 95 bucks for the scan to tell me what I already knew but it was the only way to get the repair process started.

I took pictures of the inside of the DME for them to email to a shop back east.

They think that a chip may have been changed but I cant tell. The shop back east has a replacement.

Looks like I can get it back to stock for $800 or have it high perf programmed for ~$1500.

If it has the correct chips we may be able to just flash it with the high perf program and fix the P0605 error on mine.

I asked the dealer in AZ to split the cost of the repair. They admitted that they knew the check engine light was on and didnt tell me.

You can guess how they responded to splitting the cost. I read somewhere recently that people have the lowest opinion of car dealers...

They advertised the headers and K&N intake and told me it would pass the smog. Suprised they didnt disclose the check engine light.

I am unhappy with this situation but I like the car and may end up with a high perf upgrade that I may not not have gotten otherwize.

• Admin
Failed smog yesterday due to on board diagnostic error. Emissions were high but passed.

Took it to a Porsche shop with a PTS2 and it had the same P0605 error.

They charged me 95 bucks for the scan to tell me what I already knew but it was the only way to get the repair process started.

I took pictures of the inside of the DME for them to email to a shop back east.

They think that a chip may have been changed but I cant tell. The shop back east has a replacement.

Looks like I can get it back to stock for $800 or have it high perf programmed for ~$1500.

If it has the correct chips we may be able to just flash it with the high perf program and fix the P0605 error on mine.

I asked the dealer in AZ to split the cost of the repair. They admitted that they knew the check engine light was on and didnt tell me.

You can guess how they responded to splitting the cost. I read somewhere recently that people have the lowest opinion of car dealers...

They advertised the headers and K&N intake and told me it would pass the smog. Suprised they didnt disclose the check engine light.

I am unhappy with this situation but I like the car and may end up with a high perf upgrade that I may not not have gotten otherwize.

I am sorry about your misfortune.

Had you purchased the car in the state of California they would have been required to make it pass smog.

"Section 24007 (B)(2) of the Vehicle Code states it is the responsibility of the seller to provide a valid smog certificate at the time of delivery of the vehicle. There is no provision in the law to sell a vehicle "as is.""

"24007. (a) (1) No dealer or person holding a retail seller's permit shall sell a new or used vehicle that is not in compliance with this code and departmental regulations adopted pursuant to this code, unless the vehicle is sold to another dealer, sold for the purpose of being legally wrecked or dismantled, or sold exclusively for off-highway use."

" (B) (1) Except as provided in Section 24007.5, no person shall sell, or offer or deliver for sale, to the ultimate purchaser, or to any subsequent purchaser a new or used motor vehicle, as those terms are defined in Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 39010) of Part 1 of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code, subject to Part 5 (commencing with Section 43000) of that Division 26 which is not in compliance with that part and the rules and regulations of the State Air Resources Board, unless the vehicle is sold to a dealer or sold for the purpose of being legally wrecked or dismantled.

(2) Prior to or at the time of delivery for sale, the seller shall provide the purchaser a valid certificate of compliance or certificate of noncompliance, as appropriate, issued in accordance with Section 44015 of the Health and Safety Code."

Thanks for the info Loren,

I am going to go ahead and get it fixed, send them a copy of the bill, and ask them to pay for it.

My wife is a lawyer and she offered to send a letter along with it.

Hopefully I will get something back.

Dan

Here is the picture of the DMA board. It does not look like any soldered in chips have been removed and replaced.

The plug in chip may have been. Has anyone seen the schematic for this?

It is P/N 996.618.601.04

post-26071-1198509023_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Porsche does not supply schematics for the inside of the (Bosch) DME - only the inputs and outputs of the box.

A chip does not have to be changed to alter the programming. There are several after market companies that re-program the existing DME. Event thought they call ot "chipping" very few actually replace a chip they just re-program the ROM.

Loren,

Last week I was thinking about getting a performance chip/flash/reprogram to fix the error but after reading your blog and other comments it doesnt seem like anyone is getting a noticable gain. I would prefer better gas milage and lower emissions over an unverifiable 5 to 10 hp gain. Ill check around tomorrow on a Porsche factory flash/reprogram.

Thanks

Dan

The independent guy is waiting for his friend to look at the pics who must be on vacation so I took it to the dealer to see if they would reprogram it back to factory. The service guy said he would on the phone but after they checked it they wouldnt but would rather sell me a new DMA for 2k and several hundred for programming. At least they verified the P0605 error and didnt charge me for the check and I got out of there as fast as I could.

Called the Porsche ECU repair guy again in Fla. He was the one who wanted me to get it checked with a PTS2. Sent him the pics, P/N, Vin, error code, and he is going to come up with some options.

Also, the dealer saw that one of the o2 sensors was bad and there was a large fuel system leak and said it would take thousands to fix. I am going to wait and see if these are real or DME related. Even if they are real I think I can fix them for less than thousands.

P0506 Idle Air Control - Engine speed too low.

Why not check the idle air control vave? It is probably not functioning correctly. You can clean it and that might just solve your problem. Do a search for idle control valve and you will find instructions.

P0506 Idle Air Control - Engine speed too low.

Why not check the idle air control vave? It is probably not functioning correctly. You can clean it and that might just solve your problem. Do a search for idle control valve and you will find instructions.

I wish it was the P0506 error but it is the P0605 ROM error. Would much rather be cleaning the idle air control valve than replacing the DME.

• 4 weeks later...

Sent my DME to the ECU repair company in Florida. They tried to fix it but ended up getting me a used unit and reprogramming it to my VIN. Installed it and it started right up and seems to run better and idle smoother.

Passed the California smog, registered, and licenced.

ECU cost $820 with shipping. I also payed $90 for a PTS2 check and $20 to ship it to Fla.

My wife has written a demand letter for $900 to the dealer in Arizona who sold me the car.

They may not pay but they will be concerned when they read the letter.

I dont think Loren wants us to recommend or not recommend shops or dealers and name names here.

The ECU repair shop in Florida was excellent. It will probably be ok to give the number if you PM me.

Obviously, the dealer that I purchased the car from would not get a good reccommendation.

This should be the end of the P0605 error story.

Sent the letter to the dealer with the demand for $933 and he called me and left a few messages.

I didnt really want to talk to him and he eventually called my wife. Her contact number was on the letter.

He initially told her he was shocked when he saw the letter and didnt know the CEL was on. His salesperson earlier admitted that they knew it was on. I left him a message to call me if he wanted to talk more about it and he never called back. He agreed to $500 without admitting any guilt. My wife said she could probably have gotten the $933 but I asked her to take the $500 and move on. Having a lawyer write a demand letter is a good idea in these situations.

I have been thinking about buying a car sight unseen off the internet and would probably not reccommend it without going to see the car. I thought they would be honest based on the ebay feedback and would have liked to have negotiated the CEL repair before the purchase. There are also some minor paint issues that only can be seen in person.

On the positive side I have the Porsche I wanted! Blk/Blk with Blk wheels. It gets alot of looks and compliments. The ECU has a 5 year warranty and the car runs great. Now that its licenced and smogged I can move on with suspension upgrades.

Specialized ECU Repair in Fla was excellent. Jose 305-989-0724