Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

WW Pump failed?

I recently realized although my windshield wiper are working and I can hear the motor, there is no water coming out of the two spout. I pour water into the tank hoping that would solve the problem, but it didn't. I can hear the motor making the regular squirting noise...and the wipers are moving regularly. Can someone point me how to test where the problem might stem from. Thanks...go really slow...my first time trying to fix something on the car myself. I tried installing the rear speakers...IT WAS A DISASTER!

If you hear the motor,then your motor is fine.

usually supply line is disconnected, your nozzle can be clogged with wax build up, air pocket can clog your line,Is your reservoir tank cracked possibly.

I recently realized although my windshield wiper are working and I can hear the motor, there is no water coming out of the two spout. I pour water into the tank hoping that would solve the problem, but it didn't. I can hear the motor making the regular squirting noise...and the wipers are moving regularly. Can someone point me how to test where the problem might stem from. Thanks...go really slow...my first time trying to fix something on the car myself. I tried installing the rear speakers...IT WAS A DISASTER!

Rusty:

Don't despair about the difficulty you had with the rear speakers, it's part of the learning process and, even though it may have been a disaster, I'll bet you learned a couple of things that will help you in the future.

As for your current problem with the windshield washers, if you have access to compressed air, you can clear any possible clog. You can pull off the hose connection to the plastic T connector that leads to the two nozzles. The T connector is located at the base of the front bulkhead (just behind the battery), towards the driver's side. Here is a photo of the connector and its location (click on the photo to get a full sized picture):

post-6627-1199825021_thumb.jpg

You can undo that connector by holding the hard plastic connector at the point just above the red arrow and rotating the part coming from below by 1/4 turn by turning the lower part by its ears indicated by the two yellow arrows, and then pull it apart. Apply compressed air to the connector towards the nozzles and that should clear out any clog from the nozzles.

If you have trouble getting a good seal on the hard plastic connector with the compressed air, you can pull each of the rubber lines that lead to the nozzles by pulling them apart where indicated by the green arrows. Those just pull apart with some effort, as they are held on by "barbs" on the plastic connector in that location. By applying compressed air to each of the two rubber lines, you will clear out each nozzle in turn.

If that does not fix the problem, then either your washer reservoir is cracked and not holding fluid, or, more likely the rubber hose that runs from the reservoir tank to the T connector above has slipped off the nipple that is on the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir.

You have to gain access to the reservoir, and this requires removing the rear portion of the front wheel well liner on the driver's (left) side. First turn your steering wheel to the maximum left position, as that will provide you better access to the wheel well liner and the reservoir underneath it. You have to unscrew a few plastic nuts and a plastic push pin (rivet) to permit that part of the wheel well liner to slide out. Once you have removed that part of the wheel well liner, you will see the black rubber hose, which is supposed to be connected to the nipple that protrudes from the reservoir. If you want easier access, you could remove the left front wheel, but be sure that the car is securely supported on a jack stand before you stick your hands under there. It's a good practice to also slide the removed wheel sideways under the car's rocker panel near where you are working for extra safety.

Push this hose back onto the nipple, and, if you want to avoid this problem in the future, you can secure it with a very small hose clamp. You should use an all stainless hose clamp, which is available from auto parts stores as well as from Home Depot.

Fill the reservoir and test the operation of the windshield washers before re-installing the wheel well liner.

One last note. If you can, change the title of your post to "Windshield Washer Pump Failed?" as that will make it easier for future posters who are searching for a similar fix to find your thread. "Water Pump" might be confused with the "coolant" pump on the motor.

Good luck.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Thanks Maurice for the vote of confident...I will try pinpointing where the problems lies. As for changing the Topic liner, I couldn't figure out how to do that...any suggestion?

Rusty:

Don't despair about the difficulty you had with the rear speakers, it's part of the learning process and, even though it may have been a disaster, I'll bet you learned a couple of things that will help you in the future.

As for your current problem with the windshield washers, if you have access to compressed air, you can clear any possible clog. You can pull off the hose connection to the plastic T connector that leads to the two nozzles. The T connector is located at the base of the front bulkhead (just behind the battery), towards the driver's side. Here is a photo of the connector and its location (click on the photo to get a full sized picture):

post-6627-1199825021_thumb.jpg

You can undo that connector by holding the hard plastic connector at the point just above the red arrow and rotating the part coming from below by 1/4 turn by turning the lower part by its ears indicated by the two yellow arrows, and then pull it apart. Apply compressed air to the connector towards the nozzles and that should clear out any clog from the nozzles.

If you have trouble getting a good seal on the hard plastic connector with the compressed air, you can pull each of the rubber lines that lead to the nozzles by pulling them apart where indicated by the green arrows. Those just pull apart with some effort, as they are held on by "barbs" on the plastic connector in that location. By applying compressed air to each of the two rubber lines, you will clear out each nozzle in turn.

If that does not fix the problem, then either your washer reservoir is cracked and not holding fluid, or, more likely the rubber hose that runs from the reservoir tank to the T connector above has slipped off the nipple that is on the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir.

You have to gain access to the reservoir, and this requires removing the rear portion of the front wheel well liner on the driver's (left) side. First turn your steering wheel to the maximum left position, as that will provide you better access to the wheel well liner and the reservoir underneath it. You have to unscrew a few plastic nuts and a plastic push pin (rivet) to permit that part of the wheel well liner to slide out. Once you have removed that part of the wheel well liner, you will see the black rubber hose, which is supposed to be connected to the nipple that protrudes from the reservoir. If you want easier access, you could remove the left front wheel, but be sure that the car is securely supported on a jack stand before you stick your hands under there. It's a good practice to also slide the removed wheel sideways under the car's rocker panel near where you are working for extra safety.

Push this hose back onto the nipple, and, if you want to avoid this problem in the future, you can secure it with a very small hose clamp. You should use an all stainless hose clamp, which is available from auto parts stores as well as from Home Depot.

Fill the reservoir and test the operation of the windshield washers before re-installing the wheel well liner.

One last note. If you can, change the title of your post to "Windshield Washer Pump Failed?" as that will make it easier for future posters who are searching for a similar fix to find your thread. "Water Pump" might be confused with the "coolant" pump on the motor.

Good luck.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks Maurice for the vote of confident...I will try pinpointing where the problems lies. As for changing the Topic liner, I couldn't figure out how to do that...any suggestion?

Be sure to let us know how you make out with the windshield washer.

For the Topic Liner, maybe send a Private Message to Loren.

Regards, Maurice.