Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Analog Bulbs on cluster all went out? (at the same time?)

Hello!

CAR: 02 Box S

Problem:

I noticed the other night when driving home, I switched on the headlights and it was noticibly darker in the cabin. I have ZERO analog bulb lights on my instrument cluster. The OBC/digital lights work perfect.

It is really dark!!! I tried to adjust the "brightness" with the trip reset stick and nothing. I was thinking that the odds of all 3 bulbs burning out at the exact same time was less likely than a systemic failure of a system sensor/fuse or something else. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I hooked up my Durametric Pro and see ZERO errors/alarms or anything that would show a component failure (is this normal???)

I checked the obvious such as fuses for the instrument cluster etc and everything looked perfect. Any advice including the DIY instructions for component/sensor replacement would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Thanks so much.

Andy

:renntech:

Hello!

Problem:

I noticed the other night when driving home, I switched on the headlights and it was noticibly darker in the cabin. I have ZERO analog bulb lights on my instrument cluster. The OBC/digital lights work perfect.

It is really dark!!! I tried to adjust the "brightness" with the trip reset stick and nothing. I was thinking that the odds of all 3 bulbs burning out at the exact same time was less likely than a systemic failure of a system sensor/fuse or something else. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I hooked up my Durametric Pro and see ZERO errors/alarms or anything that would show a component failure (is this normal???)

I checked the obvious such as fuses for the instrument cluster etc and everything looked perfect. Any advice including the DIY instructions for component/sensor replacement would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Thanks so much.

Andy

Hello!

Problem:

Thanks so much.

Andy

Your right in asumming that it is a systemic problem to a degree. If you have a wiring diagram I(not toally necessary) ’d find a ground strap they may share exclusively share. Try anything else that shares that ground strap. Also, check the voltages

Regards, PK

I would usually start from where this specific circuit (cluster) has originated, but u've already said the fuse is fine.

I took a glance at a wiring diagram for this for a few minutes, LCD & analog are fed off of a same circuit - so we can kind of narrow it down that power is fine.

So I'm thinking fault is occurring between the switch assem ~ cluster terminal.

But there are 2 separate switched hot legs(12V+)1 for the DIMMED LCD + 1 for the DIMMED BULB. Probably why ur lcd is still working.

U might need to remove the cluster, terminal 58D is the DIMMED LAMP BULB(GR/BL wire) junctioned with cigg lighter,ash tay,radio,AC control... etc,,,

First step would be to see if those etc,,, lights working?

I would usually start from where this specific circuit (cluster) has originated, but u've already said the fuse is fine.

I took a glance at a wiring diagram for this for a few minutes, LCD & analog are fed off of a same circuit - so we can kind of narrow it down that power is fine.

So I'm thinking fault is occurring between the switch assem ~ cluster terminal.

But there are 2 separate switched hot legs(12V+)1 for the DIMMED LCD + 1 for the DIMMED BULB. Probably why ur lcd is still working.

U might need to remove the cluster, terminal 58D is the DIMMED LAMP BULB(GR/BL wire) junctioned with cigg lighter,ash tay,radio,AC control... etc,,,

First step would be to see if those etc,,, lights working?

Thanks for the help. Keep in mind, I have Litronics BTW.

I did a little troubleshooting (from the seat) --- noticed the following:

1. driver's side low beam halogen is out (when parking lights are turned on nothing but light from only the passenger side headlamp) - probably a seperate issue, no biggie.

2. no light from ashtray - pulled the ashtray, bulb looks OK, couldn't tell you if it ever worked before as I don't smoke, but no light!

3. Cig lighter works and heats as it should. (OK)

4. Radio and AC Control both work perfectly. (OK)

5. I turned the "trip reset" stick & held it to the right or left and nothing! nothing gets dimmer either the LCD or the bulbs. Trip reset works if I push it in (resets the trip counter) but seems like nothing left or right.

So, anyone have any ideas based upon my observations?

What's next????

Thanks!

• Admin

Two possibilities come to mind.

As RFM said - the headlight switch. These are a fairly common failure that can result in all kinds of strange lighting issues.

Once you have confirmed the headlight switch is either okay (or new) the I would guess the light sensor in the cluster may be bad.

To easily confirm that you would need the Durametric Software, a PST2 or PIWIS tester.

Two possibilities come to mind.

As RFM said - the headlight switch. These are a fairly common failure that can result in all kinds of strange lighting issues.

Once you have confirmed the headlight switch is either okay (or new) the I would guess the light sensor in the cluster may be bad.

To easily confirm that you would need the Durametric Software, a PST2 or PIWIS tester.

Asumming that it what it is....had to move the Box this morning and decided to tap on the headlight switch (pretty hard) .....POP! all lights came on just fine......

probably a faulty unit or dirty/loose connectors? Is this switch really $113??? Seems high for a headlight switch. Anyone have part numbers and best prices?

Thanks!!!