Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Daytime Running Lights

I posted something similar, months ago but the problem was never solved. So i thought I'd try again....

My car has litronic headlights that come on when I start the car, even with the headlight switch in the off position. The headlight assembly has the 5w halogen parking lights that I assume should be the DRL but they never come on. ( not even as parking lights)

Any ideas on what to check to get the sequence right so the 5w lamps to turn on as the DRL and the main headlights don't?

Cheers

2001 C4 - Canadian car

115k km

manual 6 speed

• Admin
I posted something similar, months ago but the problem was never solved. So i thought I'd try again....

My car has litronic headlights that come on when I start the car, even with the headlight switch in the off position. The headlight assembly has the 5w halogen parking lights that I assume should be the DRL but they never come on. ( not even as parking lights)

Any ideas on what to check to get the sequence right so the 5w lamps to turn on as the DRL and the main headlights don't?

Cheers

2001 C4 - Canadian car

115k km

manual 6 speed

Are you sure your car is a Canadian build car?

Did you check it with the VIN decoder?

If you are sure it is a Canada car then start by checking for the double relay in positions 6 and 7.

If you are sure it is a Canada car then start by checking for the double relay in positions 6 and 7.

Thanks for the quick reply, yes it is a Canadian car, I will check for the relay as suggested, assuming that the relay is there, how should I start trouble shooting?

Thanks for the quick reply, yes it is a Canadian car, I will check for the relay as suggested, assuming that the relay is there, how should I start trouble shooting?

Yes, the double relay is there and I confirmed it is a Canadian car C36 option ....

Well, if you can find someone else with a relay to let you swap it out and see if that is the problem.

The part number is 996.615.111.00 it is about $40 US (MSRP).

I pulled the relay and started the car to see if that would make the small halogens come on but didnt have any luck. but it did stop the HID's coming on when the headlamp swith is in the off position ....

The real goal is to get the small 5w halogens working, any advice would be appreciated

Any possibility that both bulbs are out? Only reason I ask is because one of mine just decided that it had served it's useful life span. Next project

I removed a bulb and powered it, yes they work, appears no power to the circuit .... not sure how to trouble shoot it ...

• 2 weeks later...

wxseed,

Any luck yet as I just noticed my other one is now out. AAAAHHHH!!!!

I am sure that mine will not be the relay as they went out sequentially a few weeks apart.

Perhaps my other bulb has reached its useful lifespan as well.

Edited by 2Fast996

I found one bulb burnt out and one the lamp had come loose from the metal base. It worked when I powered it but didn"t when i re-installed it. (that's what happens when you rush, and over think things ..)

I ordered Phillips blue vision bulbs from the UK, I'll let you know how they work ......

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=29

Hey this is my first post!

I have a Canadian 2002 C2 and they only way I was able to turn on the city lights was to leave the headlight switch ON and turn off the ignition.

I had to change one side and got the bulb for a local Mercedes dealer (cheaper then Porsche by 50%!!! :P ).

bulbs arrived (only took 7 days form the UK) work great, they are very close to the "whiteness" of the HID's. I have pulled out the DRL relay to stop the HID's from coming on when i start the car. I'll just use the parking lights as DRL saving the HID's ..

They also sent (free as a promo) replacement bulbs for the side markers. They are a blue tint to replace the orange ones. I'll put them in on the weekend and see how they look, might start a new trend ....

Edited by wxseed

bulbs arrived (only took 7 days form the UK) work great, they are very close to the "whiteness" of the HID's. I have pulled out the DRL relay to stop the HID's from coming on when i start the car. I'll just use the parking lights as DRL saving the HID's ..

They also sent (free as a promo) replacement bulbs for the side markers. They are a blue tint to replace the orange ones. I'll put them in on the weekend and see how they look, might start a new trend ....

My '99 Canadian origin 996 didn't turn the low beams, HID, on with the DRL relay removed......

My lights work fine with the relay pulled, I like it much better without the HID's coming on when i start the car. Plus it makes the car less conspicuous without the HID's on during the day when carving through traffic. .....

My lights work fine with the relay pulled, I like it much better without the HID's coming on when i start the car. Plus it makes the car less conspicuous without the HID's on during the day when carving through traffic. .....

"less conspicuous..."

Yes, that's the POINT..!!

DRLs are to make you SAFER, MORE conspicuous to the oncoming traffic.........

you miss the point .. i still have DRL i am just using the parking lights, instead of burning up the HID's. I just don't want to appear to lumenescence to the gendarmes

No, I knew EXACTLY your point.

Most cars use the high beam bulb at reduced brightness because the high beam reflector assembly is designed to case a LONG range beam. Your fog light reflector assembly, on the other hand, is designed to case a LOW and WIDE beam.

Personally I would choose to drive more reasonably as to avoid the "gendarmes" and keep the safety of TRUE DRLs.

And would you believe that those HID lamps probably have an infinite usefull life in comparison to the incandesents in the fog assembly.

wwest. just to confirm I agree with you and I'm not using the fogs as DRL, I'm using the white "parking" lights, the bulbs i bought from the UK give a crisp white light that compliment the HID's when they are on. It was my local Porsche dealer that said the HID bulbs have a limited life and shouldn't be the DLR. I would assume he just didn't know on a 2001 the HID are the DLR.

Toolpants, thanks for the the advice, I checked and the license plate lights aren't working when the relay is removed. Any ideas on an easy fix for that?

other than putting the realy back in?

Cheers