Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Pse Hack Doesn't Work With

tried the Porsche Sport Exhause hack today (04 C4S Cab - pics coming once the mods are finished!) that is supposed to turn off the annoying "feature" that comes with the PSE option - it automatically turns off the PSE somewhere between 40-60KMs/hr and then turns it back on again at higher speeds. Problem is that when I followed the instructions on Renntech, it worked like a charm, except for the fact that my cabrio top stopped working. Completely. When I "undid" the hack, the top worked normally. I assume that it is because both "features" are somewhat tied to the car's speed. Any ideas out there? Toolpants? Loren?

(btw, I don't want the option of turning it on all the time. It is handy to have the dash mounted switch to let you turn it off if need be...)

Thanks

• Admin

You likely need to separate out the grey/pink (speedometer A) wire for the functions you want vs don't want. The speedometer A wire is used for the PSE trigger, the PCM start movement, and the cab top (that I know of). You need to trace down see that the ones you want to use stay connected all the time and only the PSE goes through the switch.

Thanks for your response, Loren. Does that mean that I should keep the Grey/Pink wire in the relay receptacle and try removing one of the other 4 wires going into the receptacle to see which one has the desired effect? Isn't there a wiring diagram somewhere which would tell me which wire to cut?

Thanks

Jmac

• Admin

The grey/pink wire is the speedometer A signal. Depending on the options in your car it is routed to those optional devices. Every Porsche wiring harness is custom in that sense. You will want it disconnected from the PSE but not the other devices.

If you just want the PSE to work ON/OFF (not based on speed) then you can safely remove the speedometer A wire from the PSE connection.

You might try bypassing the PSE relay by removing the two grey/pink wires from the back of the relay carrier and joining them separately (not through the relay carrier).

Jmac

I have been experiencing several problems relating to the PSE hack that I did a couple of months ago. When I removed the jumper it stopped sending a signal to the PCM navigation system and trip computer which basically stopped them from both working.

Let me know how you get on when (if) you attempt to remove the speedometer cable from the relay and bare in mind that if you remove it and you have a PCM system/sat nav you may cause more trouble.

Cheers

Ollie

Does anyone know what devices (if any) would be wired through the relay carrier other than the Cab top and the PSE? PCM Nav? If so, wouldn't it make more sense to try pulling each non-grey/pink wire out of the carrier individually to see which one turns off the PSE behaviour? (or am I reading this wrong?)

Thanks

J

• Admin
Does anyone know what devices (if any) would be wired through the relay carrier other than the Cab top and the PSE?  PCM Nav?  If so, wouldn't it make more sense to try pulling each non-grey/pink wire out of the carrier individually to see which one turns off the PSE behaviour? (or am I reading this wrong?)

Thanks

J

That relay (996 618 980 03) is only for the PSE. That's why I said to try and remove two grey/pink wires.

10-4 , now I get it. Thanks Loren. Can you just pull the wires out of the relay carrier or are they attached via screw-on terminals or soldered in?

Thanks again

J

I was able to install the full electronics and did not install the gray/pink wire to the relay, thus eliminating the speed cut out.

When I did the complete electronic install, I posted the following message which should be an alternative to pulling the jumper:

... by cutting the correct gray/pink wire, you will be able to defeat the cut-out between 35-45 mph. I just completed the install except for the switch which is on order. I was able to test the system using the defroster switch.

With your situation, the dealer could have installed the relay and socket in any open area within the Relay Carrier 1 (This is what I did and is per the TSB). You need to look at the Relay Carrier 1 and look for the relay with the lanuage:

"Crede

Elektronik

Abgasklappen

Relais

1 =A

2 = 31

4 = E/A Taster

5 = LED Kontr.

6 = 15

8 = Ventil

Made in Germany"

This is the relay that comes with the electronics [for the PSE]. It is a black relay with a white label with the writing above. None of my other relays have this writing.

Get access to the back of this relay socket and cut the gray/pink wire. Naturally, cap off the end of the cut wire with electrical tape. This will defeat the cut-out and you will not have to pull the jumper plugs.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Jeneric996 - you rock! I tried it today and everything works. PSE cutout doesn't happen anymore, the PSE switch still works, the cab top, and GPS are all fine!

Thanks for your help!

Jmac

• 2 weeks later...