Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have purchased an official Porsche i-Pod kit (part number 997 04490170) for my '04 997 C2S (6sp, RoW spec). It has not come with any installation instructions. Has anyone figured out how wiring interfaces with the PCM?

Any comment or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

In essence, it's an FM modulator w/ antenna pass through. Once you have the storage compartment adaptor all wired up and fixed down to the console, the main harness routes along the underside of the console to the PCM where it would connect to the contol unit that's in the kit, itself afixed in any space below the PCM. Now, wire in the control unit in-between the main antenna and the PCM. You get an extra antenna/coaxial cable to hook the control unit up to the PCM antenna socket.

Then, just supply power via the harness and you should be up and running.

Pop

In essence, it's an FM modulator w/ antenna pass through. Once you have the storage compartment adaptor all wired up and fixed down to the console, the main harness routes along the underside of the console to the PCM where it would connect to the contol unit that's in the kit, itself afixed in any space below the PCM. Now, wire in the control unit in-between the main antenna and the PCM. You get an extra antenna/coaxial cable to hook the control unit up to the PCM antenna socket.

Pop

Does this hook-up really work? I had never seen it before and it seems like a viable, if less high-tech, option to Nav-Tv and Dension which would not require tearing the electronics apart.

Pop

Does this hook-up really work? I had never seen it before and it seems like a viable, if less high-tech, option to Nav-Tv and Dension which would not require tearing the electronics apart.

Should do, it's a Porsche approved solution afterall and available as part of the Tequipement range.

Less high-tech is exactly what it is. The sound quality will not be up there with the Dension/Mobridge/NavTV solutions because of the limitations of FM. It will also neccessitate music control via the MP3 player itself.

If you approach the official unit as a compromise, its a good piece of kit. As an audiophile-level component, it's below par. However, the trick is to get it at a reasonable price as spending only a few more of your hard-earned and the alternative solutions would come across better.

Pop

• 2 weeks later...

Pop

Should do, it's a Porsche approved solution afterall and available as part of the Tequipement range.

Less high-tech is exactly what it is. The sound quality will not be up there with the Dension/Mobridge/NavTV solutions because of the limitations of FM. It will also neccessitate music control via the MP3 player itself.

If you approach the official unit as a compromise, its a good piece of kit. As an audiophile-level component, it's below par. However, the trick is to get it at a reasonable price as spending only a few more of your hard-earned and the alternative solutions would come across better.

Pop

Has anyone been able to get one of these? Both dealers I called said that they were "terminally back ordered" and that they hadn't been able to get one in months. One said that they had NEVER gotten one.

If you want one ask your dealer to order it from Germany.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have finally had the i-Pod kit installed. I am not an audiophile and I suspect that the quality is not right up there with other systems, but it is a very neat piece of kit. The only real frustration is that you have to turn the i-Pod itself on and remember also to turn it off when you are finished. Otherwise I would have no hestitation recommending it.

Cheers for now and thanks for the comments,

Bryan