Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 Navteq CD - updated maps?

I emailed Navteq about getting an updated map set for my 2004 Cayenne with CD nav system, and I got the response

"There are no map updates"

So, I'm assuming I'm screwed for new maps. Talk about regressing to the stone age; I'm half tempted to rip the system out and just put something functional in. I heard the m0bridge unit will allow for video feed from a carpc :)

My question is: are there any known solutions for updating the Navteq mapset?

I have imaged my CD, and looked at the base fileset; I'll run a bit more deeper shortly. So far, there's a propriatary setup but I was able to alter the files listed in order, and even managed to change which mapfiles existed. However, I think Navteq moved to DVD format the next model year, and those files are likely too big to be on a CD.

Edited by 3ball

I emailed Navteq about getting an updated map set for my 2004 Cayenne with CD nav system, and I got the response

So, I'm assuming I'm screwed for new maps. Talk about regressing to the stone age; I'm half tempted to rip the system out and just put something functional in. I heard the m0bridge unit will allow for video feed from a carpc :)

I have imaged my CD, and looked at the base fileset; I'll run a bit more deeper shortly. So far, there's a propriatary setup but I was able to alter the files listed in order, and even managed to change which mapfiles existed. However, I think Navteq moved to DVD format the next model year, and those files are likely too big to be on a CD.

Check ebay. I have bought several Porsche nav disks there. I only had to make sure that they were compatible with my PCM version.

Check ebay. I have bought several Porsche nav disks there. I only had to make sure that they were compatible with my PCM version.

There are no updates for 04 PCM since early 05. there will be no more, per PCNA in future by TomTom 10 times better and always up to date

Eh, I've got the CDs, that's not the problem. The problem is I drive around on roads that don't exist 4 years ago :)

If I have a GPS system in the car, last thing I want to do is buy *another* GPS system... but you're right, TomTom is $$$.

I'm going to work a bit more on it tonight, and see about patching the files. Does anyone have a more recent nav CD/DVD than 2004, that would be willing to upload the map files? I might be able to frankenstein the files in. I'd like to try, anyway.

Eh, I've got the CDs, that's not the problem. The problem is I drive around on roads that don't exist 4 years ago :)

If I have a GPS system in the car, last thing I want to do is buy *another* GPS system... but you're right, TomTom is $$$.

I'm going to work a bit more on it tonight, and see about patching the files. Does anyone have a more recent nav CD/DVD than 2004, that would be willing to upload the map files? I might be able to frankenstein the files in. I'd like to try, anyway.

I'd be especially interested in the results of the frankenstein operation. I've wondered the same thing. My wife's HUMMER has a fantastic DVD-based nav system, and I wish the Cayenne had something similar. I actually sent an email to Navteq asking for a custom CD project for my Cayenne, and I offered to pay for it. They didn't return my email.

Let me know how it works.

I'd be especially interested in the results of the frankenstein operation. I've wondered the same thing. My wife's HUMMER has a fantastic DVD-based nav system, and I wish the Cayenne had something similar. I actually sent an email to Navteq asking for a custom CD project for my Cayenne, and I offered to pay for it. They didn't return my email.

I am sure we could raise money for the hack

I am sure we could raise money for the hack

I like the idea, what are the #'s on your CDs? I've got S0006-0061-408, 08.2004. I primarily use the 1A Map (Northeast & N.Central) Does anyone have newer?

My CD version is

U0006-0060-210 (CD Pkg 2002-1)

Good news though!

I was able to successfully create an ISO9660 standard image, and swap the maps from North America (Southeast) and North America (Northeast)!

It took 3 attempts; there's some unmarked sectors on the CDs which declare it the format useable for the system. This is an observed speculation, since creating a straight image from the CD works, but merely formatting in the same setup and adding files creates a frisbee. My My next step is to find another CD set to attempt to update.

If anyone has the DVD navigation system, I'd love to have some information regarding the file names and sizes on the DVD so I can see if it's worth buying to update the CD set.

Contents of 2002 Navigation CD for North America - Northeast:

278a9280.db 2k

GPS_214_78.db 174k

kN033NA05x01.db 382,002k

PU1278a_78.db 159,382k

SP_1844WP_78.db 11,022k

XBB9280.db 2,978k

My CD version is

Good news though!

I was able to successfully create an ISO9660 standard image, and swap the maps from North America (Southeast) and North America (Northeast)!

It took 3 attempts; there's some unmarked sectors on the CDs which declare it the format useable for the system. This is an observed speculation, since creating a straight image from the CD works, but merely formatting in the same setup and adding files creates a frisbee. My My next step is to find another CD set to attempt to update.

If anyone has the DVD navigation system, I'd love to have some information regarding the file names and sizes on the DVD so I can see if it's worth buying to update the CD set.

278a9280.db 2k

GPS_214_78.db 174k

kN033NA05x01.db 382,002k

PU1278a_78.db 159,382k

SP_1844WP_78.db 11,022k

XBB9280.db 2,978k

Great to hear that you are making progress! I am still very interested in this project - I wish there was some way I could help. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the DVD. Maybe we could get a group from this board together to chip in and buy a new DVD from Navteq for the data.

• 2 weeks later...
My CD version is

Good news though!

278a9280.db 2k

GPS_214_78.db 174k

kN033NA05x01.db 382,002k

PU1278a_78.db 159,382k

SP_1844WP_78.db 11,022k

XBB9280.db 2,978k

Great to hear that you are making progress! I am still very interested in this project - I wish there was some way I could help. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the DVD. Maybe we could get a group from this board together to chip in and buy a new DVD from Navteq for the data.

I could help you if you require the newest navigation DVD, email me at SLP01005@aol.com

Not really a matter of the "newest" dvd, as much as it is a problem of "can i do it at all?" I'm already bidding on an older set of Navteq DVDs on ebay, due up Sunday evening. I figure hey, if I can get it working for $50 in parts, I'd be willing to buy a new set to push the maps. Otherwise, I feel like my money spent on a new set would be a foolish investment.

I'll keep you informed though, if this DVD to CD conversion works, I'll certainly be hitting you up :)

Not really a matter of the "newest" dvd, as much as it is a problem of "can i do it at all?" I'm already bidding on an older set of Navteq DVDs on ebay, due up Sunday evening. I figure hey, if I can get it working for $50 in parts, I'd be willing to buy a new set to push the maps. Otherwise, I feel like my money spent on a new set would be a foolish investment.

I'll keep you informed though, if this DVD to CD conversion works, I'll certainly be hitting you up :)

sounds good, best of luck with your project!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
3ball,

Any news on how your project is progressing?

I found some Navteq CD and DVD data available to download here.

http://isohunt.com/torrents/Navteq?ihs1=2&...ht=-1&ihp=1

I would like to update the UK discs if you can advise if there is a successful method.

Cheers

Hugh

I have stalled out with new DVD information, and I'm not crazy about paying almost retail for a new set...

porsche navteq:

Search returned 0 results.

Unfortunately, I will want as close to the porsche standard design for the data. If someone were to extract the map data for me from the BMW/Audi etc CDs though... that'd help a lot. To do that basically, you'd compare two versions of the same model CDs, and find the maps. I'll try again by cross referencing two of their CDs; maybe I can figure out how to rip just the maps. I'll keep you guys informed; I have some spare time this weekend, and I'd *really* like to get this working before I leave for the beach next month!

Edited by 3ball

I've got a Honda NavTeq DVD if you're interested.

Here's the directory listing:

07/20/2003 07:06 AM 116,316 80000000.BMP

09/12/2004 07:39 AM 1,296 A0000_00.MNG

09/06/2004 02:02 PM 1,449,575,977 DCA0.AR0

09/06/2004 01:58 PM 1,057,542,328 DCA0.AR1

09/06/2004 02:00 PM 1,208,426,996 DCA0.AR2

05/06/2003 08:27 PM 5,915,639 DCA0.ZED

09/12/2004 07:40 AM 3,302,597,237 U0001_02.BAS

09/12/2004 07:41 AM 115,921,193 U0130_02.ROA

09/12/2004 07:41 AM 953,057 U2001_02.CIT

09/12/2004 07:41 AM 3,726,803 U2002_02.SIG

06/30/2003 01:31 PM 984,954 US_ENG.VC_

11/21/2004 09:23 PM <DIR> ZU200

11/21/2004 09:03 PM <DIR> ZU225

11/21/2004 09:04 PM <DIR> ZU2FF

Thanks for the info, ventuje.

The deal is, I can't break the maps up. The relational database is already compiled, and reworking the database without Navteq's help would be a full time job for several weeks. So as it stands, I can update maps from OTHER CDs to the Porsche format (I think, still haven't tested, but the format doesn't look different), but at this time NO DVD TO CD map conversions.

If anyone spots an updated cd map version from navteq on ebay (any manufacturer), I'll buy it and see what I can do. Newer maps than 2004 = best.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if the updated maps from the VW Touareg would work in the Cayenne? There is a new set available on Navteq's webside for $249. Maybe it is worth it...

Since they also use the nav CD to push out PCM updates, I'd be extremely careful about "crossbreeding" a CD :)

However, does the Touareg use a CD system or DVD system, and what's the lastest CD year of maps?

Hi Guys - fascinating thread.

I bought a 2004 cayenne two weeks ago. The NAV system was working - but I decided to change the voice. That prompted me to insert the CD - which I realized I did not have. I got the cd from the previous owner but it was scratched. I worked hard to get it polished and cleaned up but did not succeed.

I am very interested in the project to update these - but I wonder if anyone might be able to help me "restore" the CDROM. I am not perfectly clear on the copyright issues, but I can send you a photo of the cdrom - I have a legal lilcense to own/use it - it's just the medium of the cdrom is damaged.

If you could provide me the west coast ISO from 2004 I would owe you a big one.

Thanks!

-alan

Can you read the CD on a PC? If so, try doing a disk copy to a CD-R and use this in the PCM drive.

Will take creating an ISO replica; there's something written on the blank sectors. Can be copied if you image the drive, but won't work by default copy in XP/etc.

• 2 weeks later...