Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

It was a nice day today so I took the car for a drive to the beach. When I returned and started the the car, the coolant refill light turned on (the red one). When I refilled the coolant I could hear the coolant run out of the car. Looking underneath I saw the fluid run out of the car. Are there any known problems regarding this issue? Seems to me that there is a loose hose or something. ''Road service'' came by and they said that the leak is located near the ''heater radator''.

Eather a hose or the radiator. The service men said that if it would be the radiator that then the inside of the car would be wet as well.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks, frank

It was a nice day today so I took the car for a drive to the beach. When I returned and started the the car, the coolant refill light turned on (the red one). When I refilled the coolant I could hear the coolant run out of the car. Looking underneath I saw the fluid run out of the car. Are there any known problems regarding this issue? Seems to me that there is a loose hose or something. ''Road service'' came by and they said that the leak is located near the ''heater radator''.

Eather a hose or the radiator. The service men said that if it would be the radiator that then the inside of the car would be wet as well.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks, frank

How many miles on your cayenne? check out this post http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16474

JR

• Moderators

The lines are in the middle of the V, between both cylinder banks. the water comes out via the starter motor and the gear box. The engine can stay in place since shortly. The old lines are made from plastic and will cracked, the new ones are made from cast aluminium, this is what you need: 948 106 059 05 set of tubes ( small ), 948 106 049 07 tube ( big ) inclusive short rubber tube and 2 snap rings. The intake manifold have to be removed and sometimes it's hard to remove the old lines, they will break inside the engine.

• Moderators

Yes, see my previous post. The main lines are in the V under the intake manifold and some small ones on the back of the cylinder heads ( on top of the gearbox, cooling water drips up and in the torque converter housing )

Finally, the verdict. Coolant hose under the intake has cracked completely (luckely, the engine can stay in). Unfortunately, Porsche Netherlands does not recognize this problem. They say that it is new to them.

Nonetheless there are no hoses in stock. They are in backing order and I have to wait another 3 weeks (minimum). Strange that it is an 'unknown' problem, and no stock available.

It could have been worse.

Thanks for the help.

Frank

• Moderators

This is a very strange situation all V8 engines have that issue sooner or later, they should now better. Stays the car in a Pon establishment? I let you now tomorrow what's happen with the back order, a normal back order time is 5 work days for Holland if the parts are in stock in Germany.

Regards.

Hi RFM,

The car is not located at Pon (The former chef started his own company and I like to help him). The inquiry for the parts was done at Pon. They said that there were no spare parts. They also said that this was a new problem for them.

Is it a problem if only the three top hoses are being replaced and that the fourth one (the one where the engine must be taken out for) stays unchanged. I prefer not to have the same problem when the car is rebuild again.

Thanks, frank

• Moderators

Frank

948 106 059 05 group of 3 tubes = in stock.

948 106 049 07 big tube = in back order, delivery time in 5 work days ( reference car out of running ).

The engine stays in place for ALL the tubes.

The problem appears after approx. 5 years or + 100.000 km, amazing that this issue is unknown in Holland.

• 2 months later...
Frank

948 106 059 05 group of 3 tubes = in stock.

948 106 049 07 big tube = in back order, delivery time in 5 work days ( reference car out of running ).

The engine stays in place for ALL the tubes.

The problem appears after approx. 5 years or + 100.000 km, amazing that this issue is unknown in Holland.

I just joined renntech as a result of researching this problem. I just bought an 04 with 29,000 miles 6 days ago. I now have the exact same problem. I dumped all my coolant last night, had the car towed to an independent shop here in Phoenix, Az. The tech diagnosed it as the same tubes you described and told me this is a known problem. 2nd one they have seen this month. He suggested I call the dealer on Monday and see if they will cover any part of the repairs as the car is out of warranty. Do you have any if the dealers are helping with this?

• Moderators

Every PROFFESSIONAL car vendor is obligatory to give ONE YEAR warranty starting at delivery day by low, on hidden faults, independent or dealer ( law consumer protection ) in Belgium. I have no idea in the US.

Every PROFFESSIONAL car vendor is obligatory to give ONE YEAR warranty starting at delivery day by low, on hidden faults, independent or dealer ( law consumer protection ) in Belgium. I have no idea in the US.

Thanks. Here in the US, most independents have the buyer sign a document stating that there is no warranty. (which I did) Since my Cayenne was originally delivered in 2003, I am outside the 4 year factory warranty even though I have low miles. I heard through an independent shop here that Porsche may be providing some sort of assistance with this issue since it seems to be a common problem. I saw that there is a TSB from 2/22/08 (#1961) about a coolant hose issue. One of the members here also posted pictures of a ruptured hose which looks exactly like mine. I'm going to call the local dealer tomorrow morning and ask if they will help me out. If not, my Cayenne is already at the independent shop (Stuttgart Southwest) and they'll get on it. They quoted me $2,000US to replace the hose. They can do the job by dropping just the rear of the engine rather than removing the engine completely. The really sad part of this is that I sold an ML55 to buy the Cayenne Turbo because I was concerned that the Mercedes was spending too much time in the shop. I had the Cayenne less than a week before this hose broke. My wife is not happy with me.

• Moderators

To replace the plastic water tubes with the light alloy ones, engine drop is no longer needed. Removing of the intake manifold, the water pump and the thermostat housing suffice. Are you sure that the TSB you refer to is not a V6 fuel line issue ?

To replace the plastic water tubes with the light alloy ones, engine drop is no longer needed. Removing of the intake manifold, the water pump and the thermostat housing suffice. Are you sure that the TSB you refer to is not a V6 fuel line issue ?

It could possibly be. I only saw that there was a TSB regarding a coolant line on another site and assumed it was related but I have no specifics.

I've seen your posts addressing other issues as well. Are you a Porsche mechanic or just a really smart owner?? Are there any other eminent problems with my CTT that I should plan for?

• Moderators

Water pump and ignition coils are the most common issues, a spare 1 liter Mobil 1 5w-50 motor oil in the back is recommended for turbo Cayenne. There are no more or less problems than other SUV's.

Water pump and ignition coils are the most common issues, a spare 1 liter Mobil 1 5w-50 motor oil in the back is recommended for turbo Cayenne. There are no more or less problems than other SUV's.

OK RFM, you called it. It was exactly the hose you said. I contacted the local Porsche dealership today and negotiated with a service adviser. They agreed to cover a significant portion of the repair costs. I had my CTT towed to the dealer from the independent shop. The Porsche service adviser says they will have it back to me tomorrow afternoon. It really helped my cause to know what I was talking about with them. Thank you for all the detailed information.