Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

is it possible to install an passenger airbag switch to turn it off?

Hi All,

Just bought a very nice used 997 s. A very nice car with low mileage (10K) which has everything I needed, except...... I thought that the airbag switch for the passenger would be standard. I should have known better on a Porsche :-).

Because I need to educate my children (2 year and 0 years) all about driving Porches, I want to turn off the passenger airbag. Is there a way to install an original or simular switch? If not, can the airbag be disabled by the computer (less favorable, but still better than a working airbag).

Thanks, frank

If anything like my 996, there is a dealer installed option and special carseat available from Porsche (The ZOOM carseat!). There is a "buckle system" that is installed under the seat and the car seat "plugs" into it. 986 part is PNA.986.017.00 for reference. Take it from me, your kids will appreciate that you enjoy a Saturday drive with them.

Rick

• Admin
Hi All,

Just bought a very nice used 997 s. A very nice car with low mileage (10K) which has everything I needed, except...... I thought that the airbag switch for the passenger would be standard. I should have known better on a Porsche :-).

Because I need to educate my children (2 year and 0 years) all about driving Porches, I want to turn off the passenger airbag. Is there a way to install an original or simular switch? If not, can the airbag be disabled by the computer (less favorable, but still better than a working airbag).

Thanks, frank

On a 997...

"The key switch for switching off the passenger’s airbag and the Isofix attachment bracket for the child seat are not installed at the factory. They can be retrofitted by an official Porsche partner (see Owner’s Manual)."

post-1-1203723489.png

Switch off the passenger airbag on the key switch using the vehicle key.

A – Switch position ON – airbag is active.

B – Switch position OFF – airbag is switched off.

Note: Risk of serious or mortal injury for passenger if passenger airbag remains switched off after the child seat is removed. The passenger airbag must be switched on when the child seat has been removed.

When the airbag on the passenger’s side is switched off (see Owner’s Manual):

- warning light “PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF” is continuously lit when the ignition is switched on

- the message PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF is displayed by the on-board computer. Deactivation is acknowledged with an acoustic signal.

The retro-fit kit is part number:

MY05 (997,987, 987c) - 997.044.800.13 -- MSRP $272.15

MY06 on - 997.044.800.13 -- MSRP $231.36