Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi every one, I am going to get a used 2005 Carrera, just wondering what are the difference between Carrera and Carrera S for the 2005 models?

I know Carrera S is more powerful, 19", and more options(Xenon...etc), But is there anything else that is performance related, other than engine and wheel?

and the car still has 2 year warranty remaining, how do i do the warranty transfer?

thanks

BTW, how many people have Carrera than Carrera S :) ?

The "S" is a lot more car for about the same money when it comes to an 05'. I believe the S model has beefed up suspension and is available with the "Sport Chrono" package which the base Carrera doesn't offer.

It just really depends on what you want. If it were me I would go for the S model. Some good deals out there.

Just my 2 cents

Phillipj

It is a switch that changes the engine mapping and makes the car run more aggressive. Go on to the Porsche website and look at the "Sport Chrono" option. Maybe it will give you a much more detailed expalnation. Or better yet go to a dealer and test drive one and see for yourself.

It also has a little clock/stopwatch on the dash. Some people hate this. I have heard varing opinions whether the "Sport Chrono" option is worth the money.

And no, this is not an option that you would want to add on later. Has to be ordered that way.

As far as I have seen this option does not really effect the resale cost. The 05' S models are going for about the same price wether they are loaded with options or not.

Hope this helps,

Phillipj

CARRERA S:

The Carrera S is more of everything you expect from a 911: It’s more powerful. More responsive. More agile. In short, more Porsche. Instantly recognizable by its twin, dual-tube exhausts, the 911 Carrera S has a 3.8-liter flat six engine with 355 horsepower on tap at 6600 rpm and a maximum torque rating of 295 lb.-ft. at 4600 rpm. Sprinting from 0 to 60 requires just 4.6 seconds, while the top track speed is 182 mph

(manual transmission model).

The chassis on the Carrera S comes standard with Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) and rides 0.39 inches (10 mm) lower than that on the standard 911 Carrera. PASM is an active damping system which automatically adapts to changing road conditions and individual driving styles. With a choice of two damper modes— “Normal” and “Sport”—PASM offers added agility without compromising on safety and comfort.

Power is transmitted to the road through a set of 19-inch wheels and tires. The added speed generated by the larger engine is harnessed by a powerful braking system developed for the 911 Turbo. The four-piston

calipers have a distinctive red paint finish and come with larger cross-drilled and vented discs. Bi-Xenon headlights are standard, ensuring excellent nighttime visibility at most speeds and in most conditions.

Like its 911 Carrera stablemate, the 911 Carrera S has an interior replete with driver-oriented styling cues. Features unique to the 911 Carrera S include a three spoke sports steering wheel, aluminum-colored instrument dials and Aluminum-Look dashboard trim. The letter “S” on the engine cover may be subtle, but the performance of this remarkable sports car is readily apparent from the moment you fire up the ignition with your left hand. The added capabilities offered by the 911 Carrera S enhance the athleticism and driving enjoyment without detracting from the race-bred essence that every Porsche has possessed since the very first Gmünd Coupe rolled out of an Austrian sawmill more thanfive decades ago.

SPORT CHRONO:

More than a collection of the world’s most refined race-bred technologies, the Porsche 911 is a driving experience. One that can now be elevated with Sport Chrono Package Plus, an optional system providing simultaneous enhancements for engine, chassis and the optional Tiptronic S transmission. Behind the wheel, you’ll experience greater levels of performance and driving pleasure. Sport mode with a touch of a button.

Pressing the Sport button on the center console is all that’s required to begin exploiting the generous reserves of power and agility in a more immediate manner. In Sport mode, the engine management system’s variable parameters are recalibrated to enhance engine response. A modified throttle map empowers your right foot with a more progressive reaction to each tap of the accelerator. In higher gears, a rev-limiter works in tandem to offer additional protection for the engine under acceleration.

On vehicles fitted with Tiptronic S transmission, automatic gearshifts also become faster and more dynamic.

Edited by Loren
Cleaned up formatting

Just to be clear here, the Sport Chrono "Sport" setting does absolutely nothing to give more power or improve performance of the engine. All it does is remap the throttle so that it opens more relative to the position of the accelerator pedal. When the you are at wide open throttle, the performance of the engine is exactly the same in normal or sport mode. The quicker throttle response makes the car seem faster, but it really is not. It is a function that inspires a lot of debate. I personally find the sport setting throttle response to be too difficult to modulate, particularly on the track where relatively subtle throttle inputs can have fairly significant results (i.e. spins). PASM Sport mode is an entirely different thing, and on the track, as long as the surface is relatively smooth, it improves handling significantly in my opinion.

If the sport function is used from day one and continues to be used all the time the throttle input is not abrupt at all...it's only an issue when you drive with it off most of the time and then expect it to be a seamless transition once engaged...I even find that if I don't use it for a week the initial transition is quite touchy for the first few days until I'm used to it again. I also find it just makes the throttle response and the way the car revs (when blipping the throttle) so much better. I also turn the suspension part of sport off, as the ride is too stiff for everyday use.

Edited by 500

wow, thanks for the info, that helps a lot, which make me think to switch my Carrera to Carrera S.

well, i guess, i will try on the Carrera first. then later on, get the Carrer S.

I never drove a car have more than 140hp before, so may be this is a chance for me to get use to the 300hp first before going further, baby step :)

thanks for reply, I find this forum is so helpful, thanks every one

Edited by ttttttttttaa

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am a newbie that is going to buy my first Porsche this spring and I must say that before you purchase your car, go to a Porsche dealership and take a look at different models and take note at what one has over another. This way, you can start to realize what you are looking for in your car. Compare the rims, the interior trims, the seats, color differences, etc. Next, build your ideal car multiple times on the website. It will take a while to understand all the options, but after a few times, you will get the hang of it.

Doing this has made me appreciate the 911 as well as become more familiar with all the options avaliable.

Lastly, drive a lot of them. The base, S, 4, convertible, targa, GT2 (I wish), etc. Then you'll truly know which one really suits your taste.

If you're going to spend this kind of money on the car, you should make the most informed decision possible.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a used 2006 Carrera 'S' 3 weeks ago and am in love. I replaced my 2001 Carrera and went from 305 HP to 355 HP. I have the sport chrono option and it's stopwatch and timing options are a great addition. I shopped for 4 months before finding exactly what I wanted. In that time I found that when the models changed in 2005 the prices forward stayed the same, in other words a 2006 costs just about the same as a 2005. So why not get one a year newer. If you can work with a dealer and get a Porsche certified car, the warranty will be extended for another 4 years and to a total of 100,000 miles.

I love the Sport-Chrono Package on my 2008 Carrera. I turn it on each time I drive the car. To be honest, the throttle just feels very lazy to me without the SC active. Also, you may want to look at a new 997. The market is very soft right now and dealers are willing to provide deep discounts to move cars. By the time you do the math on a used 911, a new one may make better sense :)