Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Trailer Recommendations

skl

Looking for an enclosed trailer big enough for a 911 or Spec Maita to pull with my incoming Cayenne S. Any one have a Trailex or any other good aluminum (read light weight) enclosed trailer they're happy with??

I use a 24 ft v nose Featherlite. As I recall, it weighs around 3500 lbs so about 7000 with race car and tools. It's a great trailer but may be a bit of a load for your Cayenne. Obviously you'll have plenty of power but I worry about what happens in a cross wind. The Porsche guys have offered to let me pull it around with a Cayenne but I haven't had a chance to yet.

The low Trailex trailers look pretty good but you are sure giving up a lot of storage. The best think about having an enclosed trailer is seeing if you can bring your whole shop to the garage.

Good luck,

Jim

I also have a 3 year old Featherlite, which I've been very happy with. I have a 22 ft, which I don't think they make any more. It weighs closer to 3000 lbs, so may be an easier tow for the Cayenne. A friend has been towing an open trailer with a 996 with a Cayenne with no problem so far.

I would worry about two things. One, with a short wheel base truck, you may not have the stability to tow a 24' trailer regardless of what it weighs. Two, the engine and frame will take a beating if you do a lot of towing. I blew up a Chevy V-8 in a Yukon half ton after only 28K miles of towing. The replacement has gone about 35K without problem but I really worry about how much longer it will last. On some of the mountains around here, the truck will hold 5000 rpm for minutes at a time, just to get up the hill. That can't be doing it any good.

Now if they put a diesel in the Cayenne, you might be talking. My next tow vehicle will be a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel pick-up. I think they're the only thing that can really hold up to a lot of towing.

Karl

I pull a GT3 on a Featherweight open trailer with my F150 Supercrew. That combo weighs about what an empty 24 foot Featherweight does. I also own a Cayenne and no way would I consider using it, instead of the truck, to pull my set up. I can't imagine using the Cayenne to pull a loaded 24 footer.

The Trailex I"m considering is an 18' V nose which is about 4-5 feet high inside to be only a little higher than the Cayenne when being pulled. It is not the type of trailer you can stand up in etc. It keeps the car clean and out of the elements. Empty the trailer weighs about 1800 lbs. Shouldn't a S be able to handle that? I too would never pull a loaded 24' trailer with a Cayenne!

The Cayenne should be able to tow 5000 lbs without much of a problem. Get a good hitch with load distribution bars and the trailer should be pretty stable. You may have to play with the placement of the car over the trailer axles but with a 18" trailer, there probably isn't a lot of room to move in one direction or the other.

I know it's pretty flat in Iowa but will you be towing where there are any mountains? Flat towing is no problem. My Yukon only strains when I have to cross the Blue Ridge or Allegehenies.

Karl

There are hills in Iowa, but obviously no mountains per se. The furthest I'd be going is Wisconsin (Road America). I used to have a pretty heavy enclosed trailer for racing shifter karts and it liked a 2500 GMC crew cab to pull it loaded but I want to downsize the trailer anyway so it's easier to store in the winter. The trailex guy says no problem but then of course he's trying to sell me one! Selling the GMC because it's just too big to drive around town and my wife doesn't like driving it. She can't wait for the Cayenne!!

I'm sure the Trailex would work great behind your pepper. With the exception of storage space it should be a good solution. It's a good looking trailer.

See you at Mid-America?

Definitely need to get over to MAM this year- want to put the GT3 on the track to really enjoy it! Also want to do a spec Miata race over there. Nice to have a track only 2 hours away from home!!! Beats 7 1/2 to Elkhart Lake, but nothing else is worth that drive!

• 4 months later...
Definitely need to get over to MAM this year- want to put the GT3 on the track to really enjoy it! Also want to do a spec Miata race over there. Nice to have a track only 2 hours away from home!!! Beats 7 1/2 to Elkhart Lake, but nothing else is worth that drive!

get the trailex-have bought several and they are the best.....Mark

Ring- I would have to agree. I've looked a couple V-nose aluminum trailers that seem reasonably well made for a lot less $$ than the Trailex. Yes it is nice but I don't see why it's worth 4-5K more...