Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Radiator cleanout MY99

I was noticing on warmer days my the temp needle was around the middle of the zero of the 180 so yesterday I removed the front bumper and cleaned out the radiators.

Also replaced the inner fender on the drivers side. The bumper removal was the hard part. Remove headlights, snap out side markers, side marker screws, bottom screws and attachment screws in front of the front tires. There are these black rivets 3 in front of the hood and 2 on the bottom. I was able to pry out the top ones but broke the bottom ones. Dont know why Porsche uses these. I will try to find something more removeable. Sunset Porsche sent me some extra clips and screws that were used.

Removed the rubber housings and had alot of bugs and stuff in between the AC condensers and radiators. Brushed it off and sprayed lightly with the hose.

post-26071-1204999466_thumb.jpg

post-26071-1204999507_thumb.jpg

I bought the car in December with 80k miles and dont think the front bumper has been previously removed.

Need to replace the plastic in front of front tires. This didnt go back together very well. Unable to get the screw in.

Occasionally blowing the stuff out is probably a good idea to prevent it from getting in between the condenser and radiator. Once its in there like mine was I think the only way to get it is to take it apart. Porsche could have designed the front bumper with a larger opening so that you could get in there to clean and maintain the cooling system. You cant see if you have a problem until you tear it apart.

Looks like a worthwhile project, but I guess you can run into some challenges putting it all back together as new.

My temp also goes slightly to the right of 180 occassionally. I imagine I've got a similar collection of bug guts. :)

There is a very good series of posts about this in the 996 DIY section, it's not difficult and is really worthwhile doing regularly. You wont get all of the stuff out with a vacuum or leaf blower. Loren has listed a step by step guide for removal and re assembly.

Looks like a worthwhile project, but I guess you can run into some challenges putting it all back together as new.

My temp also goes slightly to the right of 180 occassionally. I imagine I've got a similar collection of bug guts. :)

There is a very good series of posts about this in the 996 DIY section, it's not difficult and is really worthwhile doing regularly. You wont get all of the stuff out with a vacuum or leaf blower. Loren has listed a step by step guide for removal and re assembly.

I don't think the temps you all are seeing is unusual for city driving!

I don't think the temps you all are seeing is unusual for city driving!

Driving home from work today didnt notice much of an improvement in the temp gauge. It still goes into the zero of the 180. As long as its normal I am not going to worry about it.

for me It's more peace of mind, knowing that by keeping it clean it should perform more efficiently. I noticed no change in my temperature gauge after a thorough cleaning of the radiators. But I felt much better about the 'health' of my car.

Temp gauge running up to 3/4 is fine, a little unnerving but its ok. I think it was the early 944's that always stuck towards the 3/4 mark and Porsche ended up recalibrating the gauges to sit more towards the middle so people wouldn't worry about it so much.