Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

ABS and Traction Light Problem

Hi Guys,

Need some help. Have a 97 Boxster 204cc and 2 lights have come on, on the dashboard, ABS and TC OFF.I currently have no ABS and Traction and cannot turn them back on. Dealer has said that the ABS module or component box (Am in Spain so not sure this is the right translation) needs to be replaced and has quoted 1800 Euros. Says the electronics have gone. So my question is the following:

Is there any way to fix this for a lot cheaper?

Does anybody know if this price is correct for this box?

Any other options I have for fixing it?

I'm at the point now after having spent 2000 Euros last month on various other bits of deciding enough is enough and mayv¡be it's time to sell and get out.

Any advice appreciated

Hi Guys,

Need some help. Have a 97 Boxster 204cc and 2 lights have come on, on the dashboard, ABS and TC OFF.I currently have no ABS and Traction and cannot turn them back on. Dealer has said that the ABS module or component box (Am in Spain so not sure this is the right translation) needs to be replaced and has quoted 1800 Euros. Says the electronics have gone. So my question is the following:

Is there any way to fix this for a lot cheaper?

Does anybody know if this price is correct for this box?

Any other options I have for fixing it?

I'm at the point now after having spent 2000 Euros last month on various other bits of deciding enough is enough and mayv¡be it's time to sell and get out.

Any advice appreciated

You could try a durametric tester and try and reset the codes yourself.

• Admin

I would like to see the fault code(s).

This can also be caused by a faulty brake light switch (easy to test - have someone observer if your brake lights come on when the pedal is depressed).

It can also be caused by a bad MAF.

The ABS controller would be the last thing I suspect (especially without codes).

They did reset the codes but as soon as the car was moved they came back on again. As for the MAF this was replaced a couple of years ago when the car lost a lot of power (fairly sure it was the MAF they replaced). Will check the brake lights but fairly sure they work. Also I'll see if I can get the fault codes. thanks for your help guys. appreciate it and any other ideas would be welcome.

• Moderators

The brake switch have a double action, it is possible that the brake light function is o.k. but the second function not. As Loren says you need the codes, could be a bad sensor or an interrupted wiring as well.

The brake switch have a double action, it is possible that the brake light function is o.k. but the second function not. As Loren says you need the codes, could be a bad sensor or an interrupted wiring as well.

no probs will ring the dealer on monday and ask them to tell me what the codes were.

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick update, have not had a chance to go to the dealer to get the codes yet but something strange happened today. I haven't used the car for 4 days and this morning the lights didn't come on at all and the traction worked. I then had to come up a garage ramp which had a really tight angle so the traction had to kick in several times and that caused the lights to come back on and for the system to shut down again?????? I am very puzzled, don't know if this helps confirm that there is a electronic problem or not, but thought I would put all the info on here as it happens. Should be going to the dealer to get the codes either tomorrow or thursday though.

• 1 month later...

Is that the machine they use in the dealer, if so they have told that the whole hydraulic unit must be replaced :(, it's about 2500 € just for the part, that's why I wanted to check here, as it sounded like it was easier to replace the whole thing than to actually bother fixing it.!?